I currently use a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 headphones in to a Chord Mojo with iPad. It’s nice for just listening on the go but want to upgrade to a nice long term listening head-fi system. So just your thoughts would be great here as not sure which way to go:- spend up to $2k on a nice pair of headphones in to my Mojo, spend $1k on the headphones and upgrade the headphone amp or get a better headphone amp like a Chord Hugo 2 and stick with the Momentum 2s to start with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally i would spend the full $2k on the headphones as the Mojo will be able to hold its own with headphones in that sort of price range. I am also of the feeling that a 1k + 1k system may result in you upgrading to a 2k + 2k system at some point anyway.

There are people on this site that have had much more experience than me but in my own personal opinion the headphones will make the biggest difference to your listening experience and different designs will have a wider impact on sound than different DACs

My main rig is Meze Empyrean and a HeadAmp GS-X mini but i do own a Mojo and the Meze sound pretty sweet through that as well with the Mojo attached to me Android phone. Not a fair comparison but definitely better than my old Grado SR 80 through the GS-X.

I have even listened to my Meze through a £12 Bluetooth Dongle to be sort of cable free and you get most of the Meze sound even through that.

I guess there may be some headphones that are hard to drive that you might want to avoid but i am sure there is a big selection of amps that will work just fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, reg said:

Personally i would spend the full $2k on the headphones as the Mojo will be able to hold its own with headphones in that sort of price range. I am also of the feeling that a 1k + 1k system may result in you upgrading to a 2k + 2k system at some point anyway.

There are people on this site that have had much more experience than me but in my own personal opinion the headphones will make the biggest difference to your listening experience and different designs will have a wider impact on sound than different DACs

My main rig is Meze Empyrean and a HeadAmp GS-X mini but i do own a Mojo and the Meze sound pretty sweet through that as well with the Mojo attached to me Android phone. Not a fair comparison but definitely better than my old Grado SR 80 through the GS-X.

I have even listened to my Meze through a £12 Bluetooth Dongle to be sort of cable free and you get most of the Meze sound even through that.

I guess there may be some headphones that are hard to drive that you might want to avoid but i am sure there is a big selection of amps that will work just fine.

Good advice 

An alternative to the Meze would be ZMF Verites but there’s a waiting list....

On 30/01/2021 at 00:47, Mister R said:

Would these be a noticeable improvement to my Sennheisers as a long term closed back upgrade? Do I need to spend +$1k or I don’t need to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know to be honest as haven't actually ever heard your Sennheisers. I do know that the Aeon 2 Closed Back are very good 

Fwiw the Oppo PM3 are closed back and pair great with the mojo. I use this combo all the time as a second system when it's not convenient to use my main headphone set up at home. 

Maybe have a Google of Momentum 2 Vs Oppo PM3 for some comparisons.  

ZMF make some lovely headphones at various prices. I've got Verite Open.

I also have Focal Stellia which are great closed headphones  and it's  possible to get the price down nearer where you want it, but you might want to look at the new Focal Celestee, which are getting some very strong reviews and I think they are under $1K