Your best component / for price paid

bigrod

Tricky. If this question was asked a couple of years ago I would say my amp. However, recently there's been a big price hike with PMC 'i' series. Mine cost me £800 incl stands from a dealer (ex-dem) in 2013, when the new price was about £1300. Now they seem to going between £800 to £1200 for a good pair. It's bonkers, even the DB1is are selling for around £600-700. They were only £800 in 2008.

My Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC.  ± £750.00.  It is the best bit of kit I have ever owned.

Daniel Hertz M6 Preamp. ± £2,500.00.  Bought even though I did not actually need it - I could not help myself!

Mime is the humble chrome cast audio, fed by a cheap Chinese LPSU. Trust me it still sounds as good as any digital sources  I've ever heard. And I've heard a lot :D

• Upvote 1

Pi Zero and Pi 4-based streamers. Fantastic VFM and they do the job extremely well.

• Like 1

£875 for a boxed SME IV with fluid damper, probably

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kernow said:

£875 for a boxed SME IV with fluid damper, probably

£450 for an M2-9 (in 2015), I should have kept that one!

Sony DVP-S9000ES was free, just needed a new laser.

Rega R9 speakers, I think were £750 back in 2014.

Tannoy Stirling SE (not my current ones) at £850 in 2015.

Edited by HoopsOnToast

I'm still rocking my mk1 KEF 105, my second pair- cost me £375 several years back. Easily worth double that now.

KEF 104ab- £100

KEF Concerto- £70

B&W DM7- £145

All between 2017-18

Prices for everything vintage have firmed up a lot in the last couple of years....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

About 12 years back I bought an “end game” amp for about 10K. It was a darTZeel power amp and I’ve still got it and never seen a bad word said about it. They don’t bring out a new model every few years although it has been upgraded once I read. But it’s now just a few quid short of 40K :o

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Most of my modest hifi was bought new end of line or used so significantly cheaper than RRP. I’m quite pleased to have been able to repurpose Simple Audio roomplayers bought for peanuts into Squeezebox streaming amps ... these were originally £600 or more. And my vintage Yamaha receiver which was less than £30 and a lovely piece of retro hifi.

I have three bits of @edd9000 DIY; A DCB1 buffer preamp, a pair of Aleph 60 single ended Class A monoblocks and a pair of CAOW1 standmount speakers in white Corian with external crossovers. I dread to think what they would have cost as commercial products. 

• Like 3

A S/H, good as new, Lenovo M600 for £119 with silent passive cooling (huge internal heatsink). Installed Xubuntu, mpd and samba on it for use as a network media server. Power consumption is similar to a Raspberry Pi (4W TDP, x64bit CPU). Attached a couple of Samsung 860 Pro USB3.0 2TB SSDs for media files. Never a glitch. The seller still has a few left here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M600-Fanless-Tiny-PC-N3000-2G-2-4GB-RAM-16-128GB-SSD-Warranty/114589141848

Easy - Squeezebox Touch - £120 used.

Great DAC, streams hi res files qobuz, tidal, Spotify as well as your ripped FLACS.

Easily better than £400 Rega DAC and similar price range DACS.

Bargaintastic!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My entirely 2nd hand living room system 

Peachtree Nova 125 amp  - £400

Auralic Aries Mini streamer - £300

Chord Mojo Dac - £250

Kef LS50 speakers - £450

A very simple no frills compact set up that sounds absolutely sublime and cost £1400 all in. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, knaithrover said:

My entirely 2nd hand living room system 

Peachtree Nova 125 amp  - £400

Auralic Aries Mini streamer - £300

Chord Mojo Dac - £250

Kef LS50 speakers - £450

A very simple no frills compact set up that sounds absolutely sublime and cost £1400 all in. 

IMV. That system is scary good for the money.