Your best component / for price paid

bigrod

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

IMV. That system is scary good for the money.

It proves what can be had second hand for entry level money. To better it with a compact set up i'd have to go for say a Naim Uniti Atom plus Harbeth P3ESR at 3 times the price and im not sure it would be x3 the quality...

I bought a pair of B&W 801 series 80 along with a Denon PMA-S10 amp for £1400. 

The guy bought it as his dream system in a one bedroom flat and managed to listen for 15 minutes before his neighbours complained. Fortunately, for me, I had a cavernous listening room and they were unbelievably good in there. I sold the amp for £800 so the speakers owed me £600; £600 for a pair of 801s - utterly mad!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knaithrover said:

It proves what can be had second hand for entry level money. To better it with a compact set up i'd have to go for say a Naim Uniti Atom plus Harbeth P3ESR at 3 times the price and im not sure it would be x3 the quality...

Exactly.....I'm not sure I would even consider it as twice as good - mostly just different. 

1 hour ago, knaithrover said:

IMO Naim and Harbeth wouldn't be a great mix. When I had the P3s on demo they were fabulous, but worth £2500? Certainly not. A grand or so less, well worth it.

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

IMO Naim and Harbeth wouldn't be a great mix. When I had the P3s on demo they were fabulous, but worth £2500? Certainly not. A grand or so less, well worth it.

Interesting, I'd demo first of course however there's no way I'd buy new @ £2500 I'd be looking at them 2nd hand for a lot less.

Unbelievably an Voyd Reference in gloss rosewood.  Made a huge profit on resale  after a few years but would be worth a lot more these days. Who knew?

Also a Valhalla Linn Sondek /Ittok II for £220  which would be worth 10x that to-day.

My Art Impressions , after 15 years of enjoyment, will not be going anywhere soon  ( on instructions from SWMBO ) though although most of the other kit has  been changed without a murmur from her.

• Like 1

For me its my Sugden Musicmaster amp. Bought new in 2005/06 for around £1300 and for me its been perfect with my old Proac 1sc's or the newer Heco's. Obviously there are better amps out there. I have a end game in sight but im not changing for change sake. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lee M said:

For me its my Sugden Musicmaster amp. Bought new in 2005/06 for around £1300 and for me its been perfect with my old Proac 1sc's or the newer Heco's. Obviously there are better amps out there. I have a end game in sight but im not changing for change sake. 

Don't underestimate the potential of the Musicmaster Lee - Patrick Miller (senior) offered to increase the standing current on mine - a modification which transforms its performance in my experience - I have no intention of parting with mine: it sounds bloody astonishing with my AN-Es - I would strongly recommend talking to Sugden about this before doing anything rash... happy to PM you the S/N of my amp and other details if you're at all interested - MH

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

Don't underestimate the potential of the Musicmaster Lee - Patrick Miller (senior) offered to increase the standing current on mine - a modification which transforms its performance in my experience - I have no intention of parting with mine: it sounds bloody astonishing with my AN-Es - I would strongly recommend talking to Sugden about this before doing anything rash... happy to PM you the S/N of my amp and other details if you're at all interested - MH

Hmm. Interesting, you've mentioned this before i think, might speak to Dave Speirs and Patrick............ I'd love some Puresound 845's or a SJS built around my system. Just a few grand light at the minute......plus i have a cart and phono to save up for