Blu Ray Player with SACD and Analogue Outs?

Hi all, 

I’m looking for suggestions that fit the above criteria, I’m guessing a better description would be universal disc player. I’ve been poking around for a day or 2 now and am quite surprised how limited it appears, as I’ve been out of touch for a while, I’m hoping someone will easily nail it. First and foremost has to be a blu ray player but equally has to play SACD’s as a minimum, I’m just curious about that format and listening in 5.1 might be fun. This is where I am:

Oppo would be the obvious choice but I’m reluctant to buy something with hugely inflated price tags in the S/H market and that looks like it won’t be supported for much longer.

Sony X800, no analogue out, 1000ES - not convinced it’s VFM. 
Cambridge CX - I don’t have a DAC and not sure how that would work with SACD if I did.

That leaves Arcam FMJ UDP-411 and Yamaha BD-A1060, any further suggestions beyond that? Obviously S/H market is where I’m looking as I think that’s where I will find legacy outputs and budget.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Marantz UD7007 , no idea how SACD's sound but a very capable cd player and an awsome Bluray/Dvd player , both sound and picture.

chz

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chezi said:

I have a Marantz UD7007 , no idea how SACD's sound but a very capable cd player and an awsome Bluray/Dvd player , both sound and picture.

chz

From a quick Google it looks like that may only have stereo analogue outputs?

@Tazman46 am I right you're looking for a player with 5.1 analogue outputs? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MartinC said:

From a quick Google it looks like that may only have stereo analogue outputs?

@Tazman46 am I right you're looking for a player with 5.1 analogue outputs? 

Thanks guys, no it doesn’t need 5.1 analogue, SACD stereo interests me more as that’s where the real quality in my system lies. I actually bought an Arcam - unfortunately I’m returning to sender as it refuses to acknowledge that anything other than an HDMI cable is plugged in. Arcam have been completely unhelpful with no reply to me or the seller, Sevenoaks however say ‘this is a common problem’. I will look at tracking down a Marantz then 👍🏻.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tazman46 said:

Thanks guys, no it doesn’t need 5.1 analogue, SACD stereo interests me more as that’s where the real quality in my system lies. I actually bought an Arcam - unfortunately I’m returning to sender as it refuses to acknowledge that anything other than an HDMI cable is plugged in. Arcam have been completely unhelpful with no reply to me or the seller, Sevenoaks however say ‘this is a common problem’. I will look at tracking down a Marantz then 👍🏻.

Hyperfi are doing the Marantz UD7007 for £399.99.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Hyperfi are doing the Marantz UD7007 for £399.99.

Cheers Ron, that’s nuts! They’re going for more than that on the Bay, think I may need to take the plunge, just bought an absolutely mint Denon 3910 as well 😳.

• Upvote 1

Look for used OPPO's.

• Like 1

I still have a PS3 - only ever used it for ripping my SACD's so never updated the software or kept it on line. That's a goody as you end up with lovely files you can play back. I think OPPO's got in on that later and still to this day have a great rep. Ripping SACD's was one of the best things I ever did.

13 hours ago, Tune said:

I still have a PS3 - only ever used it for ripping my SACD's so never updated the software or kept it on line. That's a goody as you end up with lovely files you can play back. I think OPPO's got in on that later and still to this day have a great rep. Ripping SACD's was one of the best things I ever did.

I’ve got one tucked away in a cupboard, hasn’t seen the light of day or the internet since 2012, would that work? Are you saying that updating etc may take away the ability to play / rip SACD’s? I had no idea..

Yep they updated the firmware and it got rid of the capability AFAIK. I kept it disconnected from the net and used an app called SACD Ripper. You could still play them I think. It was just the loss of the ability to rip them to hard drive. IMHO it's really worth while. There's still something about the tonality compared with even the highest definition of PCM options that have been sold since - when it comes to earlier recordings mixed for vinyl.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pioneer lx88 blu ray player  and it’s superb plays everything really well and has a decent dac 

built like a BSH were top of the pioneer tree at one time and £1100 when new 

might be selling on as it looking at the new Reavon  blu rays from france 

Edited by falcoron

Not sure of your budget but if you can find a good secondhand Primare BD32 mkII you will go to silver disc spinner heaven.Plenty of digital out and analogue typo for SACD. I used the xlr balanced for the sacd. In fact the DAC inside is amazing - I think you can put digital inputs through it as well. I didnt try as my Pre60 could handle all that.

PS. I currently have a spare Sony BDP something or other which plays SACD. However SACD playback is barely acceptable. So cheap isn't even cheerful in this area. I tend to choose Hi Res streams now - beats SACD easily in this situation.

Edited by deebee
additional info

Pioneer have some universal players, but have stopped supplying to the UK because of Brexit. :(

love my oppos, i have a udp205 and a bdp105, both play everything, any disc, stream, usb, optical, cast to device from  windows 10, both sound great.

You can pick the 103/105 up for around 600 at the moment and for that its a great  buy.

The 205 is better, better power supply and dac BUT the 105 is a great all round player and for a while i used it as a preamp direct into ATC actives with great results, i seriously would have been happy to continue like that if a 205 hadn`t come along at a good price.

Edited by stevebrown