Which CD Player

Radioham

5 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Last sacd player I heard from them whirred and I could not stand it 

No I wouldn't like that at all , which model was it Phil ?

Not quite sure may have been the 2000 model ?? Certainly very prominent drive noise .

Buy the newest one (or the one with least known hours used) for laser longevity but in reality I would buy a Cambridge transport for less than £300 and a decent DAC - when the laser dies it is just a transport changeover (or cheap player with digital out) 

Edited by uzzy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm waiting for a Meridian 508 to turn up today, supposed to be good price/performance these days but obviously a risk with spare parts. Actually it should have arrived by now..

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

How about something outside the box?

Pathos Digit..... (The bit on the R/H side). It’s very dynamic.!!

35a29079b6bf304a59e1388394535465.file

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why are there 3 meters on the vintage (pre?) amp?

Why are there 3 meters on the vintage (pre?) amp?

Lawrence,

If you mean the gold coloured item, it's not a preamp but an FM Tuner.

The three meters are:

Signal Strength, Tuning and Multipath.

A bit old fashioned but I still listen to FM radio a lot. (Well, until its discontinued).

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah sorry my mistake not being a radio guy it didn't occur to me.

It will be a great shame if they do turn FM off as with a strong signal and good tuner it's so much better than DAB. Rather like MP3 Vs vinyl.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Radioham said:

As OP there has been a slight change of plan. My local dealer has offered me a loan of the Yamaha CSD S2100 for a good price.. I pick it up on Friday.. Watch this space...

I have a CD-S2000 Yamaha and I love it. No noise from the mechanism.

Still going strong but mainly does DAC and pre amp duties for the streamer and TV.

8888D81D-D8C0-4928-BE68-7D51B79DA64D.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Bodgit said:

Still going strong but mainly does DAC and pre amp duties for the streamer and TV.

aye good you mainly use it as a DAC - the laser when it goes is I believe not repairable (phillips stopped making the transport) - you may be able to get a chinese copy transport (but Meridian told me they tried them for their machines but could not guarantee performance and longevity) 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ClassikFan said:

I have a CD-S2000 Yamaha and I love it. No noise from the mechanism.

ah thats great 

My Yamaha CDS S2100 makes no noise from the drive when either reading the directory or playing tracks. Thats even with my ear close to the CD draw. It has given new life to my CD collection (so far).Also connected the DAC to my Bluesound Node2 and Tivo Box and again very good results.

Alan

• Like 2

I have a Yamaha CDX-1030 as a back up drive and also cheap 550e . Both are silent and can be bought for buttons. Currently listening to Thea Gilmore on the AS Transcend transport but at multiple times the price.

Once lockdown is over I find charity shops at 4 x Cds =£1 are great for trying out old music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoda900 said:

I have a Yamaha CDX-1030 as a back up drive and also cheap 550e . Both are silent and can be bought for buttons. Currently listening to Thea Gilmore on the AS Transcend transport but at multiple times the price.

Once lockdown is over I find charity shops at 4 x Cds =£1 are great for trying out old music.

I do a trawl on Amazon of albums I like or want to hear and see what is available second hand (and ebay) - dearer than charity shops but amazingly it is possible to get cds for not a lot of dosh (Music Magpie is good too - when i got a duff disc they just refunded me and told me to bin it lol)