ClassikFan

DAC Suggestions for Node 2i please

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, StingRay said:

BurrBrown PCM5122.

Thank you. I could not find any mention of it on their website, l probably did not look hard enough.

Edited by greybeard

My Roksan sounds better than the node but it’s not the end of the world as it is and if your interested in MQA it does that as well.

16 hours ago, StingRay said:

I did not use the internal DAC much on the Node2, it's ok but found my Jolida with the right valves to be better.

No experience of Toppings, seem to get mixed reviews from users.

I’ve got a few Toppings.  D30, D50’s, an TGS D90MQA. 

All the humble D30 is incredible value for money, abs does a cracking job across all 3 inputs.They can be picked up used for £70, and sound fantastic.  I had an old high end pink triangle DAC I’d kept from the 90’s, and the D30 seriously embarrassed it.  They’re honestly very lovely. The D50s is a step up, and i run my one with a linea power supply which does make a solid difference on representation of vocals. 
I honestly believe that the D90 is one of the best consumer focused DAC on the market, definitely my absolute favourite. It’s more detailed than my friends Chord, resolves more detail more accurately.  I’d say the Chord is slightly softer, and has more charm to its sound, easier to live with on ‘challenging’ music, but the representation and detail of the D90 does it for me.  Mu search for the perfect DAC stopped dead right there. 

Buy a used D30 for your Node 2i, I guarantee you’ll love the results. Best £70 you’ll ever spend. 

Edited by The Marlin

1 hour ago, The Marlin said:

I’ve got a few Toppings.  D30, D50’s, an TGS D90MQA. 

All the humble D30 is incredible value for money, abs does a cracking job across all 3 inputs.They can be picked up used for £70, and sound fantastic.  I had an old high end pink triangle DAC I’d kept from the 90’s, and the D30 seriously embarrassed it.  They’re honestly very lovely. The D50s is a step up, and i run my one with a linea power supply which does make a solid difference on representation of vocals. 
I honestly believe that the D90 is one of the best consumer focused DAC on the market, definitely my absolute favourite. It’s more detailed than my friends Chord, resolves more detail more accurately.  I’d say the Chord is slightly softer, and has more charm to its sound, easier to live with on ‘challenging’ music, but the representation and detail of the D90 does it for me.  Mu search for the perfect DAC stopped dead right there. 

Buy a used D30 for your Node 2i, I guarantee you’ll love the results. Best £70 you’ll ever spend. 

Well I don't need a DAC for my Node2, I already have one.

I may try a Topping D30, if I see one cheap enough, out of curiosity. These seem to be in short supply at the moment, even Amazon say out of stock. Nothing on ebay.

What is the difference between the D30 and E30?

Edited by StingRay

27 minutes ago, StingRay said:

What is the difference between the D30 and E30?

I have an E30 (punches well above its weight IMO).  It is a completely different design to the D30.

New casing and I assume internals.

Different dac chipset - D30 is Cirrus, E30 is latest AK.

E30 has pre-function, D30 DAC only.

E30 is a no-brainer at the price.   I have tried mine, on desktop PC, with Samsung TV, with Squeezebox Touch into kitchen actives , and in my main system in place of the more costly Benchmark DAC.    E30 Elevates  first three scenarios, and still sounds more than decent in place of the Benchmark.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1