Thoughts on these speakers?

falcoron

I’ve just stop trying to dissect the system now and just relax and listen to the music. Something I’ve not been able to do fir a very long time. I’m really happy with them. 

As you say the finish is stunning too.

In 40 years the most I’ve ever got from the wife regarding my hifi was yeah sounds good, or Jesus they are big!
the other day she asked me to play Andrea Botticelli ( first time ever getting a request) 

she sat there listened and said “my god that is bloody amazing, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing!”

job done me thinks 

• Like 4

Just got home now to have a listen and the AE509's sounding much better than this morning. Got about 5hrs on em. Much better integration between high-frequency mid-range and bass. I'm getting a feeling these are not going back.

Yes very underwhelming at first as they are a bit different from the fare I auditioned, one could easily dismiss them on first listen. 
only took a few days to come on song. 

I believe that the AE509s have garnered even more positive comments, judging by the Acoustic Energy Facebook page. Newest review appears in the latest edition of HiFi+ magazine 👍

Edited by Pedro2

All reviews I have read have hit the nail on the head. Now, that is a rarity in my opinion. So many times in the past I have auditioned kit that was put on the hi hifi pedestal of greatness only to be completely the opposite. Only after the Emperor’s clothes were seen ( or not as the story goes) did a backlash happen and loads of second hand items that fell from grace very fast were on every forum and auction sites for sale at a big loss.

Seen it so many times over the years. 

• Like 1

What room sizes are you running the AE509s in? I was close to home demoing a while back, as they do look great, but thought they'd probably be a bit too bass-heavy for the space. 

19 minutes ago, dave6v said:

What room sizes are you running the AE509s in? I was close to home demoing a while back, as they do look great, but thought they'd probably be a bit too bass-heavy for the space. 

The AE509 do really sing, but yes they do get over powering with bass heavy tracks. I'm still in two minds whether to keep or return em. Having said that no boomyness to the bass, it's fast and detailed. My listening room is 16 × 11 feet. So quite small.

Edited by Nativebon
Edit

15 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

The AE509 do really sing, but yes they do get over powering with bass heavy tracks. I'm still in two minds whether to keep or return em. Having said that no boomyness to the bass, it's fast and detailed. My listening room is 16 × 11 feet. So quite small.

FWIW my Friend, over the years, I have found that second thoughts are one's early warning system, that a component may not be right. If ignored, you spend the next year convincing yourself that you really like them - before finally acknowledging that they are not right and selling them on.

My advice is hold off until you find speakers that tick all the boxes and second thoughts don't enter your head.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

FWIW my Friend, over the years, I have found that second thoughts are one's early warning system, that a component may not be right. If ignored, you spend the next year convincing yourself that you really like them - before finally acknowledging that they are not right and selling them on.

My advice is hold off until you find speakers that tick all the boxes and second thoughts don't enter your head.

This may be just what I needed to hear. 

On 03/02/2021 at 21:18, falcoron said:

Yeah me too Peter, trying to get a listen to a pair in my room as the Audio physic classic 15 here now on demo although good they are just not floating my boat and I really don’t know why, it’s frustrating. 

Hi, I am interested in the Audio physic line of speakers and wondered what your thoughts were on their presentation?

9 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

That is exactly what I did, I auditioned 7 speakers that were on my list and these were not on my radar at all until I read the reviews by shear chance while looking for another review.

Non of the speakers I auditioned were making sense to change from the pylon sapphire 3  ( cheap and very underrated ) all of which were good at most things but as you say there was a jiggle and if it’s there at the start even if you get used to it, will always be there and annoy at some point.

The 509,s did everything well but not in a WOW way, I just stopped nit picking as I had with the others, so that was something I only noticed later on and as stated, these really don’t do the wow thing at all, they just got on with what I wanted without even knowing what that really was.

on Room size and bass, I have what is probably one of the worst shaped room being 15’ x 15’ x 8’ high,  the bass although deep is not in the least over baring, it’s so different from the others I have owned or heard,  it’s tight deep when needed and very subtle when recorded just so. It never booms or dominates like some others.

I have them 30cm from the rear wall and 120 from the side walls. I have a very slight toe in and the speakers are set on a marble base with is 20mm thick sitting on a concrete floor with wooden flooring and a big mat between them and me 

hope that helps 

Hi Ron;

Just wondering how you auditioned so many speakers.......did you use the likes of Kronos Hi-Fi ?

Regards - Peter

5 hours ago, hiesteem said:

Hi, I am interested in the Audio physic line of speakers and wondered what your thoughts were on their presentation?

I had the audio physic classic 15 in before these and they are really nice speakers but I found the mids are forward and the bass and treble a bit laid back. I did like them on most music but when it got loud and complex I found they lagged in timing 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, macvisual said:

Hi Ron;

Just wondering how you auditioned so many speakers.......did you use the likes of Kronos Hi-Fi ?

Regards - Peter

I did Pete 

very very helpful even in a pandemic I had the shop to my self and did auditions with my Gato. Was left to it with no pressure at all. I initially went to listen to the audiovector QR5 which have the astounding ribbon  tweeter from the higher models and that I will never forget is was so bloody good. The mids were great too but alas the bass was far too warm and deep and bloody ruined what could have been a perfect speaker if not for that 

I also got speakers sent over from audio emotion free but if returning you pay the return post which I was happy to do after all they paid to get them to me with no deposit 

in fact I bought the 509 from David at Kronos

Edited by falcoron
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, falcoron said:

I had the audio physic classic 15 in before these and they are really nice speakers but I found the mids are forward and the bass and treble a bit laid back. I did like them on most music but when it got loud and complex I found they lagged in timing 

Thanks for that. I live close to kronos and will likely pay them a visit soon. Sounds like the 509 do something that you like?