Thoughts on these speakers?

falcoron

The only pair of Elac speakers I've ever heard were the Jet 310i. They were tiny, but blow me they did something extraordinary. It may rose tinted specs (it was 20 odd years ago) but I've always wanted a pair for a second system. 

1 hour ago, falcoron said:

I had the audio physic classic 15 in before these and they are really nice speakers but I found the mids are forward and the bass and treble a bit laid back. I did like them on most music but when it got loud and complex I found they lagged in timing 

I had the AP AVANTI 35, for demo at home just as you described above, timing issues.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hiesteem said:

Thanks for that. I live close to kronos and will likely pay them a visit soon. Sounds like the 509 do something that you like?

Everything they do I really like, in my room with my system. Had the audiovector Q5 had a tighter bass they would be here now without me ever hearing these. Still can’t get Over how good the tweeter was on them.
I would demo those too if your down his way might work better for you 

Edited by falcoron

6 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

I had the AP AVANTI 35, for demo at home just as you described above, timing issues.

Yeah pity as I did like them, the mid was forward but not in a nasty in your face way, it was really good most of the time.  I had these for over 4 weeks and I did actually like them with most music at normal listening levels. Lovely with female vocalists. No speaker is perfect as they say. The 509’s aren’t either but what they do they do exceptionally well for the spend. That’s good enough for me at my budget ( these were also the cheapest of them all) 

I actually did like the AP speakers very much, did some stuff really well, I actually liked the rich sounding midrange, but that was at the expense of the sound getting a bit muddy especially fast piano tracks.

Acoustic bass on these AE509's are to die for. Just so addictive. They bring out so much emotion in the music.  Everything sounds transparent without the hardness associated with it in most speakers. 

Still, I have to return em, cause of deep bass issues in my room. I may have a look at Totem Tribe towers nxt. Anyone had a listen to these?.

Edited by Nativebon
Edit

19 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

I actually did like the AP speakers very much, did some stuff really well, I actually liked the rich sounding midrange, but that was at the expense of the sound getting a bit muddy especially fast piano tracks.

Acoustic bass on these AE509's are to die for. Just so addictive. They bring out so much emotion in the music.  Everything sounds transparent without the hardness associated with it in most speakers. 

Still, I have to return em, cause of deep bass issues in my room. I may have a look at Totem Tribe towers nxt. Anyone had a listen to these?.

It sounds as though the bass in your room is the only thing you dislike about them. Why not use them with something like a Minidsp unit to get the bass balance right? Otherwise, it sounds as though you're going to spend a lot of time chasing your tail.

14 minutes ago, Gizza said:

It sounds as though the bass in your room is the only thing you dislike about them. Why not use them with something like a Minidsp unit to get the bass balance right? Otherwise, it sounds as though you're going to spend a lot of time chasing your tail.

I actually thought of doing just that with my RME DAC, but I always take the approach of avoiding a problem in the first place were possible. Had a few speakers in the past with no bass issues, may just be a case of me running out of luck last two speakers on demo at home. My IPL ACOUSTIC speakers go low with no bass problems in my room, just that they now sound a bit dull and lifeless.

3 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

I actually thought of doing just that with my RME DAC, but I always take the approach of avoiding a problem in the first place were possible. Had a few speakers in the past with no bass issues, may just be a case of me running out of luck last two speakers on demo at home. My IPL ACOUSTIC speakers go low with no bass problems in my room, just that they now sound a bit dull and lifeless.

As a left field option - what about the LS50 Metas, which I have connected to my AVR600. What they do - they do exceptionally well.....and more bottom end could be added with a Sub (ideally the new KC62 - but others are available).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

As I'm sure you're well aware, trying to get the perfect sound without dsp is nigh on impossible as the room can ruin even the best of systems. It sounds as though these speakers have a bit more output at the bottom end than is required. Seriously, if that is the only thing wrong with the overall sound, have a play with that DAC to lower the bass output. The bass can make or break a system, including bass interaction with the room. I use an active x-over and am able to adjust the volume just to the seperate woofers, which handle 110hz downwards. Having that volume even just slightly too high or too low, especially too high, really ruins the sound.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

As a left field option - what about the LS50 Metas, which I have connected to my AVR600. What they do - they do exceptionally well.....and more bottom end could be added with a Sub (ideally the new KC62 - but others are available).

That also crossed my mind, not sure if I'm ready to play around with high pass filters just yet. Having said that, that may be something worth trying if all else fails.

Edited by Nativebon
Edit

1 minute ago, Nativebon said:

That also crossed my mind, not sure if I'm ready to play around with high pass filters just yet. Having said that may be something worth trying if all else fails.

My room is large (15' x 21' x 11') and they are playing without a Sub. It's just about fine, but a little extra bottom end wouldn't go amiss.

In a smaller room, they'd manage even better. What I'm really saying, is they would work satisfactorily (imo) without a Sub if/until that changed.....I could certainly live with them without extra bass. With a Sub, they would give a scare to much more expensive speakers (imo).

13 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

My room is large (15' x 21' x 11') and they are playing without a Sub. It's just about fine, but a little extra bottom end wouldn't go amiss.

In a smaller room, they'd manage even better. What I'm really saying, is they would work satisfactorily (imo) without a Sub if/until that changed.....I could certainly live with them without extra bass. With a Sub, they would give a scare to much more expensive speakers (imo).

If you put if that way Cno, it makes a lot of sense, considering you're using the metas is such a large room compared to mine. May be I'm just reluctant of the idea cause be quite a while back since I last used a sub. I will need one if I take this route due to varied taste in music.

Edited by Nativebon
Edit

7 minutes ago, Nativebon said:

If you put if that way Cno, it makes a lot of sense, considering you're using the metas is such a large room compared to mine. May be I'm just reluctant of the idea cause be quite a while back since I last used a sub. I will need one of I go this route due to varied taste in music.

It's not something I would have suggested, until I owned the Metas. I just thought I'd put it out there....especially as they work so well with the Arcam. Don't even think of assessing them until they have at least 50 hrs on them.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, falcoron said:

Everything they do I really like, in my room with my system. Had the audiovector Q5 had a tighter bass they would be here now without me ever hearing these. Still can’t get Over how good the tweeter was on them.
I would demo those too if your down his way might work better for you 

Thanks again for the heads up on the Audiovector Q5. I will certainly give them a try. May I say you have a very nice and alternative system to the mainstream. Sounds like a lot of fun! 

• Like 1