macvisual

Quad II Classic mono's

Wondering if anyone owns a pair of the newer Quad II Classic monoblocks (15 watts), and what you think of them please..? 

I love their styling and once owned a pair of the original Quad II's a long long time ago. I've a passive pre-amplifier by Promitheus Audio that I could use in conjunction with the likes of the Quad II Classic's.

Any advice/knowledge/experience appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Peter

Not owned a pair ever but did have on loan for some months the 2s for some months with a pair of Tannoy 15 inch monitor golds - with the right speakers (over 90db efficiency ideally) they are superb performers - but vastly overpiced methinks now (seeing the prices asked on ebay) when compared to the Prima Luna amps that are available for circa the same money

Hi Peter,

Hope you're well. I've owned a pair, some years ago now, and as Uzzy says they can be sublime in the right set up. The tale HouseElf links to was a sorry one indeed, but I guess if you're buying new from a reputable dealer risk is low should you need to return them. I'd like to think this was a one off but who knows.

I’ve never like Quad Mono’s, I’ve had a few older pairs, even completely rebuilt ones, but they didn’t sound as engaging as the humble Leak Stereo 20, abs not a patch on the Radford STA25 or 15. 

The ELS57’s though, adore those!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Hi Peter,

Hope you're well. I've owned a pair, some years ago now, and as Uzzy says they can be sublime in the right set up. The tale HouseElf links to was a sorry one indeed, but I guess if you're buying new from a reputable dealer risk is low should you need to return them. I'd like to think this was a one off but who knows.

Cheers Ian, Scottish hi-fi dealer 'Audio Emotion' have a boxed/used pair of them for £1390 I believe. Usual dealer backup and probably comes with some kind of warranty I'm guessing.

Cheers - Peter

33 minutes ago, macvisual said:

Cheers Ian, Scottish hi-fi dealer 'Audio Emotion' have a boxed/used pair of them for £1390 I believe. Usual dealer backup and probably comes with some kind of warranty I'm guessing.

Cheers - Peter

Thats Audionote OTO territory.

9 minutes ago, ozzric said:

Would the AN Oto be superior I wonder...?

Thanks...

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, ozzric said:

Bought plenty of kit from Audio Emotion & only ever had one issue and they resolved it in a few days I packed they arranged collection then back with me 48 hours later great service buy with confidence👌🏻

Sorry  never heard any of the kit your interested in though.

A.Emotion have a cheap EL34 valve integrated amplifier, made by Artisan, £490. I've never heard of them.

10WATTS (TRIODE) / 18WATTS (PENTODE)

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/artisan-se-el34-integrated-amplifier-25017-p.asp

5 hours ago, macvisual said:

Cheers - Peter

I've bought from these chaps before, years ago, solid service. Had a conversation with someone, and felt you just know when it's right.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Spot on👍

i did some research on your speakers - it seems efficiency is 88db for one watt at one meter.  My concern with the  is the classic Quad IIs only produce 15watts .. so if you like to listen loud you may run out of steam with your speakers.  Personal view is the new Quad II 40s would be better placed.

Now I know valve amps can play louder than SS counterparts (largely due to the way clipping is handled) but if it was me in your shoes there is no way I would be looking at pair of 15 watters.   So unless you can get then on trial I would pass them over and take your time choosing your amp.   

Edited by uzzy
grammar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, macvisual said:

Cheers - Peter

Are you sure on that price chap, they look to be £1690 on the website ?

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Are you sure on that price chap, they look to be £1690 on the website ?

They actually did have those Quad II's for £1390 and then next day hiked price up to £1690. I shot a photo of the original price before the increase etc...

mac