ATC SCM150 ASL Tower Speakers in Premium Rosewood

I’ve no connection with the seller,

spotted on eBay and though there to big for me thought I’d post up as others on the forum may find interest in the listing 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124560467576

• Like 4

Wow, they’re lovely, and it is perhaps very brave - or foolhardy - of the owner to sell something relatively rare and unpopular on an auction basis.    Of course they might fetch fifteen grand, but they might go fir £7000.  I’d have thought they’re worth north of £10,000 all day long. 

• Upvote 1

They will need updating as they have the old spitty tweeters. Factor this into the cost, not sure what ATC charge today, but it won't be cheap.

I agree an auction is very unlikely to get the best price. I suspect less than £10k, with either a very lucky private buyer or they will get snapped up by a dealer  and re offered for a substantial mark up.

• Like 1

I was tempted but they’re way too big for my lounge. Twice the size of SCM40s.

8 hours ago, It Cost How Much!?! said:

They will need updating as they have the old spitty tweeters. Factor this into the cost, not sure what ATC charge today, but it won't be cheap.

I had my 150s upgraded to the latest tweeters plus other servicing work. The tweeters will cost approx £600 per pair inc VAT, plus labour and carriage both ways so approx £1000 should cover the upgrade.

Having the crates included with the speakers is a good plus point.

These are nice speakers and I wish the seller well but if I was going to auction them on ebay I would have started at 99p because that always seems to get the best final price.

£9317 they went for.

Still a good price for these speakers, even allowing for the cost of upgrading/servicing.  I hope the buyer has plenty of space/fair size room to place them as they need it otherwise the speakers will overpower the room, literally.

• 1 month later...

ATC kindly lent me some active 150's a while back for a studio 'thing' in a new control room that hadn't yet had speakers installed.  The room was nicely treated and was a reasonable size, larger than the average modern living room, and these were way too big for the room.  You really need decent space for these to work, they sound much better when driven a bit so the 50's are really all most people need in domestic situations.  That said, I'm running speakers about the same size :D 

The buyer probably got a bargain

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2021 at 18:07, Fourlegs said:

I had my 150s upgraded to the latest tweeters plus other servicing work. The tweeters will cost approx £600 per pair inc VAT, plus labour and carriage both ways so approx £1000 should cover the upgrade.

You wasn't temped to try a Scanspeak D2905/950000 then Nick over what the now replacement 'upgraded' atc unit is? I know that one is a favourite of yours.

8 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

You wasn't temped to try a Scanspeak D2905/950000 then Nick over what the now replacement 'upgraded' atc unit is? I know that one is a favourite of yours.

Hi Eddie,

No, not tempted if only for a prosaic reason of wanting to keep maximum value of the ATC speakers. I doubt that the the sort of person who would be interested in paying upwards of £10k and maybe towards £15K for a pair of second hand speakers would want anything other than genuine ATC parts and the latest version if I was ever to sell them and want to get max £££.

Although I am at this moment listening to my pimped Dali speakers with the Scanspeak D2905/950000 tweeters and they are sounding very nice indeed in the ‘kitchen system’.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Hi Eddie,

No, not tempted if only for a prosaic reason of wanting to keep maximum value of the ATC speakers. I doubt that the the sort of person who would be interested in paying upwards of £10k and maybe towards £15K for a pair of second hand speakers would want anything other than genuine ATC parts and the latest version if I was ever to sell them and want to get max £££.

Although I am at this moment listening to my pimped Dali speakers with the Scanspeak D2905/950000 tweeters and they are sounding very nice indeed in the ‘kitchen system’.

Yes, I get your point Nick. Although there are ways of doing these things without butchering the speakers completely and being able to put them back the OEM spec without anyone ever knowing. And while they are in your company and use you are pretty much the final say on the way you like them to sound anyway. Although I'm sure the replacement ATC unit was a extremely good one. But so are the Scanspeaks. At least now you do have them in up to date form/spec.

Out of interest Nick do you know what the replacement tweeter units were that went in?

36 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Out of interest Nick do you know what the replacement tweeter units were that went in?

It is ATC’s own design and manufacture. I don’t have the ref to hand but it is their current teeters that they use on the 50s upwards. 

• Like 1

That’s a lot of speaker when you get the amps included.....

Are the amps in ATC’s active speakers at least as good as their component integrated amps? 

1 hour ago, Bi Focal said:

That’s a lot of speaker when you get the amps included.....

Are the amps in ATC’s active speakers at least as good as their component integrated amps? 

They are excellent amps. More than half the studios I visit have active ATC's, they are the same amplifiers.