Wanted - SUT for Hana SL or AT-OC9XSL

bhope58122

Looking to try out a SUT in to my Trilogy 906. Anybody thinking of moving something on that would work well with either a Hana SL, or an AT-OC9XSL? 

Cheers 

Super Wammer

I have a Ortofon ST 80 SE , comes with the original box and internal packing 

New these are around £1400 , I will sell it for £800 plus shipping , No less sorry 

It's this one 

https://www.ortofon.com/st-80-se-mc-transformer-p-434

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

I have a Ortofon ST 80 SE , comes with the original box and internal packing 

New these are around £1400 , I will sell it for £800 plus shipping , No less sorry 

It's this one 

https://www.ortofon.com/st-80-se-mc-transformer-p-434

Very nice, and thank you for the offer. Probably a bit rich for me considering the Trilogy is only £1000. If anything changes I'll be in touch. 

Super Wammer

As long as the SUT is a 1:10 giving you 470 Ohm, then all should be good. I used my SL with an MFA Classic Baby SUT and it made a significant difference to the carts performance. 

I can vouch for 1:16 being a little too much - between 1:10 and 1:15 at the very most will be good. 

An SUT of 1:15 will probably give you too much load for the Hana. The SL I think has an internal resistance of 30 ohms and Hana state an ideal load of 400 ohms. With a standard MM phono stage having 47K loading, a 1:10 SUT will give you 470 ohms, which is ideal. A 1:15 will give you about 200 ohms, which may well roll off the top end a bit as well as cutting the output.

On the other hand, the AT really wants to see about 100 ohms. This isn't a problem. You'll need to use a 1:10 and add some loading resistors. Instead of 47K, you want 10K, so add about 15K in parallel. The gain with any of these and a 1:10 should be fine.

10 minutes ago, rabski said:

An SUT of 1:15 will probably give you too much load for the Hana. The SL I think has an internal resistance of 30 ohms and Hana state an ideal load of 400 ohms. With a standard MM phono stage having 47K loading, a 1:10 SUT will give you 470 ohms, which is ideal. A 1:15 will give you about 200 ohms, which may well roll off the top end a bit as well as cutting the output.

On the other hand, the AT really wants to see about 100 ohms. This isn't a problem. You'll need to use a 1:10 and add some loading resistors. Instead of 47K, you want 10K, so add about 15K in parallel. The gain with any of these and a 1:10 should be fine.

I noted the roll off at 1:16 but it was not as pronounced at c. 180 ohms than I noted when set at 200 ohms straight through my phono stage. I have found that the behaviour is different when using an SUT and the requirements aren't always as expected.

15 minutes ago, myles said:

I noted the roll off at 1:16 but it was not as pronounced at c. 180 ohms than I noted when set at 200 ohms straight through my phono stage. I have found that the behaviour is different when using an SUT and the requirements aren't always as expected.

True, there are other effects. However, you are still going to get a degree of roll off as well as some unnecessary attenuation. It may not be noticeable, but either way, a 1:15 or thereabouts gives unsuitable loading for both the Hana and the AT, so there's no point. Just a 1:10 should be perfect. As a bonus, there are generally more 1:10s around.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, rabski said:

True, there are other effects. However, you are still going to get a degree of roll off as well as some unnecessary attenuation. It may not be noticeable, but either way, a 1:15 or thereabouts gives unsuitable loading for both the Hana and the AT, so there's no point. Just a 1:10 should be perfect. As a bonus, there are generally more 1:10s around.

Agreed. I'd prefer to be much closer to 1:10 than 1:15, because as stated earlier I experienced roll off at 1:16 - just not as pronounced as at 200 ohms on my Moon. The minefield eh?!

Fwiw,  if you like the 906,  I think efforts would be better looking for 907. 

SUTs are a minefield and those 2 carts won’t necessarily work with the same one, whereas 907 is adjustable enough to cope. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I too am thinking of experimenting with SUT. May even diy one. Look at this site. It’s got an excellent little calculator to tell you what sort of amount of gain you should be looking for on your carts. That will at least have you looking for the correct step up ratio for gain.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/StepUpTransformer.html

Just need to look up your output from your cart and the input listed for your mm phono input.

I have a tribute step up that is a nice match for hana so, I had the case made by a friend in Corina and copper top and bottom and it was silver wired with nice quality terminals

its for sale on audio abattoir for £500 but happy. To negotiate and accept trades for records or anything interesting 

darren

I've heard Darren's Tribute SUT with a Hana in his (very nice) system...It is a great match and the Tribute transformers are really good....

I doubt you would get better without spending mega bucks.....