A.S.

Dark Side of Moon and audiophiles

An absolute snorefest of an album that sounds like it's running at 16rpm even on digital

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Super Wammer
40 minutes ago, bencat said:

Have some fun try and find a stream of Dub Side of The Moon by the Easy All Stars it the same album but recorded as reggae / dub . I love it but then i have very strange tastes in music .

Got this on Vinyl as well as Dubber side of the moon They have also done Sgt Peppers lonely hearts Dub band, Radiodread and Thrillah.

1 hour ago, A.S. said:

I confess it’s pretty narrow stuff and like Pink Floyd before my time starting from 1685 starting with Bach (as digestible and as far back as I care to go up) to Rachmaninov in 1926. Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Sibelius, Mozart FX (son of Amadeus), Grieg, Liszt, Schubert are staple of bulk my listening. Bruckner (though one can get lost in his symphonies), Brahms and less so would be Mahler who goes on and meanders a bit....

Great musical taste!

A.S - One loves your post, but one also suspects that you may be extracting the urine a tad 😉

23 minutes ago, rabski said:

Just to really show my age, not only do I (like Baz) immediately think Rick Wakeman, but I remember seeing Rick Wakeman perform it.

I saw him in Love Actually. Terrible how he cheated on his wife and worse still the audience was then forced to get all emotional to Joni Mitchell. Criminal. 

• Haha 1

DSOTM hast to be one of the best albums ever made, but not recorded particularly well. It’s actually recorded a little flat...that’s why sounds excellent in a ‘toppy’ system...

Edited by Thetiminator
  • Upvote 2

agree, this has got to be a piss take, never heard of PF or the beatles, but he has heard of Kenny G, WTF. Do not indulge him any longer!!

Edited by alphatoner

I will listen to Bowie’s Hunky Dory tomorrow night as part of my non-classical music education. Heard of Bowie as he died recently but I’ve never actually heard his material. 

Tonight, i spun albums: DSOM by Pink Floyd and Lead Zeppelins IV and The Doors Greatest . 

Rabski, what’s your favourite Pink Floyd album?

I wasn’t around in the 60/70s but I have to say it was pretty brave Pink Floyd calling themselves Pink anything.... with all that homophobia around. Pretty brave to come out like that through your music.Watching documentaries about the time it was all meat and two veg, everyone smoked, drank warm ale, sheepskin coats, moustaches, British bulldog, anti-Billy Elliot, etc....I suppose if Queen could do it then Pink Floyd wouldn’t be out of place at the time. Perhaps, the 60/70s was a time when people openly challenged prejudices than I appreciate or know of about of that era. Irrelevant as that all is to the music, DSOM was quite a pleasant album. A good starter to this band. 

Edited by A.S.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Remember that Pink Floyd is an Audio and Visual experience. Their genre is best described as psychedelic rock. LSD isn’t required to enjoy the whole experience, but when you start out you may want to get hold of a couple of DVD’s which may help to get an allround experience. I think the Pulse DVD is quite good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the guys who lived on my floor when I was a student, it wasn’t LSD, it was dope (cannabis).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A.S. said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road

This must be another album to go for in audiophilia. I’ve never heard anything by the Beatles but I will stream this after Pink Floyds as it seems highly regarded. 

Audiophilia sounds like an STD.

I’ve got a few copies of it. I’ve got an A2/B2 in ok condition, I need to buy a record cleaner to give it a proper clean.  A mint condition copy can fetch thousands!  That’s crazy!
I’ve also got and A3/B3, and A3/B4 in good condition, the recent remastered version, and two copies of the 30th, one still sealed. Oh, and the SACD foo. 
I buy a lot of vinyl. 
the sealed 30th Anniversary is worth almost 5 x what I paid for it, so it’s staying sealed. The remastered version you can pick up new for £25 is very good, despite what Hifi nerds say, get that if you want it in vinyl. 
the 30th is excellent, but prices are starting to get silly now. 

My favourite test recordings for trying new gear are

Eric Clapton Unplugged MTV, George Michael - Liaten Without Prejudice, BC Camplight- Shortly After Takwoff, Yello - Baby,  PJ Harvey - Rid of Me, and Massive Attack - Mezzanine.... and a few other that haven’t come to mind  

Regardless, DSOTM is an excellent record, but as was mentioned early, ‘a bit Marmite’  you either like it or you don’t  

Personally, I find ‘The Wall’ a bit miserable and boring, with only one decent song on it   So, horses for courses  

I was born in the same year that DSOTM came out.

I like some of their stuff but never listened regularly. The only album I own is a compilation, Echoes.

@OP

If you are getting ‘with it’ on modern music, you should research some of the music made by black people.   There’s a guy called Michael Jackson, who was big I the 80s, and another called Prince, who also had a bit of a following for a time.  

There is a slant on the music from the Caribbean and a bloke from there called Bob Marley, who was quite the thing at one time with a thing called reggae.   

Enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pink was just a colour back then. It was more that psychedelia was in when they formed, and colour was a big thing during that time. Cilla Black sang “I Can Sing A Rainbow”, a big Eurovision song was “Love Is Blue”, and some people wore flowers in their hair. It was a far cry from black and white TV and the drab colours often associated with the early post-war era.

I have also known people, including my mother, who were absorbed by classical music and weren’t really in touch with popular music. My mum didn’t take much non-classical music seriously until middle age, when she finally acknowledged it and sometimes sought it out. In the end, I created some mix tapes for her containing her favourites.

As for me, well, the Tallis Fantasia is playing right now, but the evening has also included John Denver, Frank Sinatra, Charlie Rich, Johnny Cash, The Walker Brothers, Amen Corner, Samuel Barber and Leo Sayer. Tomorrow might include Metallica, Sam Smith, Billy Cobham, Jimmy Cliff, Benny Hill and Marvin Gaye. Isn’t music wonderful?

31 minutes ago, A.S. said:

Rabski, what’s your favourite Pink Floyd album?

Really depends on my mood.

If you are coming from classical, then Atom Heart Mother may well surprise.

For the memories, it would be Meddle. For the evenings when I want a little musical heft, Division Bell or Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Super Wammer

Told you I was old AS was in book form only for me and hardback of course.