A.S.

Dark Side of Moon and audiophiles

3 minutes ago, Sotosound said:

My mum didn’t take much non-classical music seriously....

My Mother was the same - though she always had time for 2 tracks - American Pie and Hotel California, which she said had interesting rhythms.....although her Album collection did include The Dubliners.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

On a more serious note, Pink Floyd is marmite

What's Marmite?

....My brother posted this video of Concorde........someone commented, 'What's this? some sort of fighter jet?'

(Wonder if it was the OP of this thread, could be the same age :dunno:).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, The Marlin said:

I buy a lot of vinyl. 
the sealed 30th Anniversary is worth almost 5 x what I paid for it, so it’s staying sealed. 

You need to run a blade down the cellaphane and splice it as if you were going to remove the vinyl even to leave it all in there.... else your vinyl will warp leaving it sealed. 

Edited by 2010*zuma

It’s fine as is, still straight as an arrow.

.. nobody will know until its removed! 

Radio Paradise Eclectic Mix is playing me The Great Gig in the Sky to me as I type.

Coincidence? Almost certainly.

Just to be even more boring, I saw Floyd play DSOTM at Earls Court in 1973, soon after its release.

The ticket cost £1.75. Less than the album.

Edited by Emlin

1 hour ago, A.S. said:

I wasn’t around in the 60/70s but I have to say it was pretty brave Pink Floyd calling themselves Pink anything.... with all that homophobia around. Pretty brave to come out like that through your music.

They even had long hair like girls. Those crazy, crazy kids.

6 hours ago, radiant red said:

You should ‘test’ a system with what your familiar with, not something that attempts to make it all sound better.

I wouldn’t play something I’m not familiar with to make me decide if I like the kit as I will never be playing it at home

Great advice. Although I now feel guilty for recently buying a copy of "Time Warp" by Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Erich Kunzel to do just that.

Super Wammer

This has been one of the funniest threads in recent months .. No disrespect to my lady but I’m guessing that she probably hasn’t heard of led zeppelin, Tangerine dream , Or yes ....

I will ask her about pink floyd and get back to you ...

16 minutes ago, Emlin said:

Just to be even more boring, I saw Floyd play DSOTM at Earls Court in 1973, soon after its release.

The ticket cost £1.75. Less than the album.

And I saw them at Earls Court on their last and final tour in 1994. They played DSOTM in the second half in it's entirety. Tickets were around 40 quid each, peanuts compared with what some bands want to charge you today. It was worth the ticket price for the light show alone.

Best value for money was Prince at the o2 in 2007. We paid £31.21 per ticket and got his latest album on CD in with the price. It wasn't his best work but hey, it was for free :D

3 hours ago, Thetiminator said:

DSOTM hast to be one of the best albums ever made, but not recorded particularly well. It’s actually recorded a little flat...that’s why sounds excellent in a ‘toppy’ system...

I have a copy of a 15 IPS R2R 1/4 inch production master of DSOTM. This sounds astonishing and definitely not recorded a little flat. It may be that the vinyl transfer is "flat", but that's not how the production master sounds.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sparks said:

And I saw them at Earls Court on their last and final tour in 1994. They played DSOTM in the second half in it's entirety. Tickets were around 40 quid each, peanuts compared with what some bands want to charge you today. It was worth the ticket price for the light show alone.

Best value for money was Prince at the o2 in 2007. We paid £31.21 per ticket and got his latest album on CD in with the price. It wasn't his best work but hey, it was for free :D

I saw them there at the same time as well. Yes, they played DSOTM and The Division Bell, plus loads of other stuff. Apparently, what they played changed according to the day. When the stands weren't collapsing.

I don't think I paid more than £40 with the coach from Plymouth included.

Edited by Emlin

6 minutes ago, Emlin said:

Apparently, what they played changed according to the day. When the stands weren't collapsing.

Never knew that. I guess we just got lucky :)

8 hours ago, rabski said:

Really depends on my mood.

If you are coming from classical, then Atom Heart Mother may well surprise.

For the memories, it would be Meddle. For the evenings when I want a little musical heft, Division Bell or Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Thank you Rabski. On waking the tune that went round and round was Us and Them. DSOM nothing on first inspection. I think this is an album you may have to listen to a few times before it gets under your skin. 

I’ll give Meddle, Division Bell and Momentary... a listen too. Might be the start of something. Good to listen to different genres. 

Unfortunately, Deezer only has one version and it’s remastered. I have a hatred of ‘remastered’ anything as it invariably involves someone crushing the dynamic range and making it sound synthetic. 

1C264890-0182-41C8-B5A4-35A53F358F22.png

Edited by A.S.