Which cost-effective item changed your system most.

m7rso

Raspberry Pi 4 with a Schiit Modi 3 DAC and a small battery pack - about £200 all in (just under, in fact).

I realise this is entry level for a streamer but it’s changed the way I listen to my music.

One day, when we move on from the current nightmare, I’ve promised myself I’ll get out and listen to other, more expensive streamers, to see just how much better they are than my humble set up. I suppose I should add the word “IF” here’s too!

• Like 2

Schiit eitr..huge improvement to all my dacs..

• Like 1

Origin Live cartridge enabler for me..£25!

Closely followed by their platter mat at £50.

I'm usually a pretty sensible person and anti foo, but some of these will trigger the tin foil hat brigade :D I know I'm crazy, these kind of things though are the only things that Linn owners can do as we have pretty closed systems...

I know life's too short but I've found them to work and deliver noticable results for me personally - some work best with good systems as marginal improvements, YMMV

1. Heavy speaker bases - really heavy, stiffen things up
  2. Cheap DSP via a cheap calibrated mic (buy used) + REW + convolution filter + JRiver/Roon - this will help you address major room modes
  3. Basic room treatment - this doesn't have to be as expensive as you think, DIY is very cost effective, sorting your room out will give great improvements
  4. EMI absorption sheets -  I know I'll get the p*ss taken out of me for this 1 :roll: I/C, chips, PSUs, circuits all generate EMI, putting this on boards cuts it down. Me and others have found good results when used around clocking circuits, it's ~£35 a sheet
  5. Ferrite Cores & cheap filtering power strips - I've put these all over my house to help sort out dirty power supplies on non-hifi equipment, it made a pretty big change to my hifi's noise floor, just doing the ferrite cores is very cheap and gave me a great improvement

These are all little improvements but have delivered very well for me £ for £.

bring on the hate, I'm ready for it :nerves:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No hate from me, whatever makes you happy.

I bought a bundle of dozens of ferrite cores - no discernable difference in my system.

I prefer my speakers on wobbly support platforms.

Yeah, I've done some basic room treatment. Errr, not sure about it, really - but I do know that I can't be arsed to take it out again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JANDL100 said:

No hate from me, whatever makes you happy.

I bought a bundle of dozens of ferrite cores - no discernable difference in my system.

I prefer my speakers on wobbly support platforms.

Yeah, I've done some basic room treatment. Errr, not sure about it, really - but I do know that I can't be arsed to take it out again.

I should have said, ferrites are only going to make a difference if you have a problem, as a gadget geek I have ~20 wall warts in my house.

be a bit careful with the room treatment, you can easily make things worse, best to combine it with a mic and REW to see what difference it's actually making. 

Velodyne DD15 sub and realising that I like stand mount speakers not floor standing speakers. 

Sony XL55 Pro cartridge, after trying all sort of exotic carts on my Sony TT, the one it was disgned for is least faff and sounds good, so now I have two (a spare).

• Like 3

On 12/02/2021 at 22:13, m7rso said:

Hiya chaps and chapesses.  Which  cost effective item had the most significant change to your system?

Most cost effective change was decision to get a single box to do the job of a number of separates and their associated mass of cables.  Better sound too as it turned out.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, mine are from either adding springs or removing them.

Taking the springs out of my Gyrodec suspension and replacing them with rubber as part of Pete’s Pylons - as they are affectionately known - had me scraping my jaw off the floor. 

My DIY lash up of the spring based Townshend podium bars now under my speakers came in at 1/20th of the cost of the real thing but produce results good enough to make even the genuine article seem like good value. 

The Nobsound spring supports are cracking under a valve amp and terrific value compared to similar products.

Edited by lostwin
Mild update
  • Like 1

Very expensive I suppose but not if you have nearly 5000 records (likelihood of me getting round to cataloguing etc negligible)

audio desk systems ultrasonic cleaner

I started to listen to vinyl again and to appreciate just why I’d kept it after years of cd and streaming 

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Strangely enough, mine are from either adding springs or removing them.

Taking the springs out of my Gyrodec suspension and replacing them with rubber as part of Pete’s Pylons - as they are affectionately known - had me scraping my jaw off the floor. 

My DIY lash up of the spring based Townshend podium bars under my speakers came in at 1/20th of the cost of the real thing but produce results good enough to make even the genuine article seem like good value. 

Those Nobsound spring supports are cracking under a valve amp too and terrific value compared to similar products.

Pete’s pylons, another convert here

• Like 1

How did you go about the podium bars, can it be reproduced at all?

Although I’ve ready posted on this thread and mentioned my Raspberry Pi4 (streamer), I would also like to give some praise to a piece of software which has helped me no end.

I appreciate that it’s not hifi “kit” in the true sense, but it deserves a mention.

As some members will know - from their helpful replies to my other threads - I am part way through digitising my small vinyl collection. I’ve been having the usual issues with static/crackles/pops and had been looking for ways to help eliminate/lessen some of these issues.

I had recommendations for IZOTOPE software from a couple of members and am very glad I followed this through. I have to admit (with a degree of embarrassment) that I hadn’t heard of this SW before then.

Anyway, the “entry level” RX8 Elements package was on offer when I decided to purchase and for under £30, I now have software which is doing a wonderful job helping me eliminate some of the background nasties on my LPs before committing them to FLAC.

I hope this might help someone else too.

Re-capping/resistoring(sic) my speakers.

Cost £40.

And some stress   i.e. what the hell am I doing? lol

The effect? Transformative. In a very good way.

• Like 1

Vinyl passion DustBuster 

does what it says on the can , such a very simple idea and so very effective. Just pop your stylus on it between records, job done .

• Like 1