Audioromy FU29 Valve Amp

I've not taken pictures yet but have this amp for sale, GWO* (ish - see below).  I'm looking for £120 with collection from Amersham or plus shipping (maybe £20-25) wanted to see if there's any interest.  Couple of points:

1) I've used this amp a fair amount without issue, however recently a loud crackling was coming from the right channel.  I took it to Deco Audio in Aylesbury, who said they were unable to replicate the fault, however since the anode caps are discoloured and in poor condition, that these should probably be replaced (and maybe also the HT cable), as this would have been causing the issue I heard.  I was quoted 1 or 2 hours labour plus the parts (maybe £30 for the parts). 

2) I replaced the original Chinese valves for (apparently superior) Russian ones, couldnt tell you how many hours use they had, but my use of this amp has been sporadic and there's probably a decent amount of life in them.

3) I no longer have the cage for the top, or the original box/docs.  The only reason I'm selling it is that without the cage it's too dangerous to have around my inquisitive 1yr old daughter.  It's actually a really nice sounding amp, would suit someone who could fix it themselves or would be willing to pay £100ish to fix it up.  Or, you could take your chances with it, but the issue may come back at any time.

Anyone interested?  I will collect back from DecoAudio and post some pics soon.  I also have Q Acoustic Concept 20s for sale with their stands for £220.  The speakers are in good condition (no grills) but there's a small issue with one of the stands (it works perfectly but has had some threaded screws glued in place, so you just have to be a bit careful when moving it around).  Would sell both together for £300.  Can provide more info/pics if there's interest here too.

Thanks!

Edited by Muttoninyourears

I had one of these a few years ago and I was surprised how good it was, it had a really clean transparent & pure valve sound.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get a funky set of anode caps for £13:

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/254720535396

It's a great amp for the money.Screenshot_20210228-232324_cropped.jpg

Some pics of the item for sale please

Let me help:

IMG_20210301_175240.thumb.jpg.cb6a14a943565358c26157be0002e59a.jpg

Sold a while ago to a nameless Wammer who is supposed to be selling stuff off :doh:.

Interesting, this one's circuit has slightly lower voltages to those variants picked apart in the DIYAudio threads, and as a result stays just within capacitor limits rather than just outside them, even at 240V rather than the spec'd 220.

I'm running it The mystery Wammer is running it at 220V anyway since he has a massive switchable bucking trafo from a cinema lying around (as one does), and that M-828A amp is very very good indeed. Another cut price gem :^.

One thus assumes this should be under the 'sold' category. Meaning that another nameless Wammer who already has far too many projects and boxes littering up the place will not need to keep looking at the ad and attempting to resist the temptation.

Was on sale on eBay, in two versions from 2010 - 2019. Originally, it cost £199, and ended up around £400, I think. Photo shown is of the later version which used the same valve for the input and splitter. Original used a 6N1 and 6N2. I stopped using mine not wanting to burn the mains transformer out. Not keen on the shiny appearance which the original didn't have.

Actually, it's still available. Must have been quite a few sold by now.0966096110_2_g.jpgScreenshot_20210301-211600_cropped.jpg

Mystery wammer says:

"Polished metal is not a problem, far less bling than the pics. 220 vs 240V is a risk in all of the guises it's appears in DIYAudio. Not in this example which runs cool. B+ runs at 408V out of the output trafo, half that into the screen, 450V PSU caps are at the limit but measure sound, 2 x 6n3p per channel.

Neutral being switched and live hard wired on is a *curiosity* but was easily fixed, no valid earth bond to chassis likewise an interesting safety feature.

The fabled bias pots are crap, but here wired to deal with individual section bias rather than bias/balance between sections and yes, the anode caps are shonky worthless crap but with a glass fibre rub they're serviceable whilst I'm waiting on the brown caps another poster kindly pointed out to arrive. If they're not good I have another robust but scary option (don't do this at home kids)."

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Robut scary options for anode caps are a speciality in the workshop. I've currently got another 845 on the bench using four valve rectifiers for the HT. Robust scary anode caps and around 1100 volts may well not fit into the 'Ladybird book of workshop safe practice' I suspect.