Which streamer to go with Musical Fidelity M6i & PMC twenty5 22??

on the rocks

16 minutes ago, on the rocks said:

System synergy is very important, particularly with little opportunity to demo due to Covid or buying used.  I'm on my third Musical Fidelity System  E10 Electra > A3.5 System > M6/A5 system so I'm a confirmed fan of the MF sound.  I've not listened to Naim, but from what I've read they are brighter/livelier than my preferred MF, as is Cambridge - I'm assuming Linn are somewhere in the middle and I remember Cno was happy with Linn and warm MF AMS.

As you are a confirmed MF person ignore Auralic Altair G1 as its not warm sounding. I also had an Electra CDP and E100 amp before buying a NuVista M3 so I can understand what you like. 

If you are happy with a two box solution an Auralic Aries Mini secondhand and a Cord Qutest could work well. The QuTest is much warmer than Auralic dac

I found your speakers super fatiguing on a home demo and so if you like MF with these then take care to try before you buy. 

Edited by DomT
  • Like 2

As has been said if you want an complete all in one box to do this the Squeeze Touch is pretty much a snip . The unit has USB / RCA SPDIF / TOSLINK digital outputs and als has an in built DAC . Using Logitech Media Server you can get a nice BBC Sounds App , Quboz App , Spotify App , Tidal App Deezer App, Radio Paradise App . They all work . With another plug in you can output Hi Res or DSD direct if you need it .

The only thing you need on top of this is a CPU to run Logitech Media Server and store your music . This can be done for around £80/£90 with a raspberry pi 4 case and psu plus a USB 1TB , you could increase this a little by getting a a 2TB usb unit but this would nudge the cost over £100 but given that you could buy a Touch for under £70 that still wraps things up under £200 .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Squeezebox-Touch/193887227607?hash=item2d24944ed7:g:hu4AAOSwB1RgI-8q

19 minutes ago, on the rocks said:

I'm assuming Linn are somewhere in the middle and I remember Cno was happy with Linn and warm MF AMS.

At that time, I had the older Kef Refs, which could be a bit edgy if wrongly partnered and highlighted any change upstream.

I find Linn refined and engaging - and is measured and controlled. I also found it more tonally accurate than Naim with Piano.....but....I do think that things change a bit when matched with Harbeth (DomT), as that injection of foot tapping excitement would work well with Harbeth's more laid back nature.

The AMS35i was not so much "Warm", as incredibly vibrant, exciting and natural - with powerful, deep bass. It totally avoided brittleness, giving violins the correct tone. I put it down to the complete absence of Notch (or Crossover) distortion.

One thing going for Linn (like Naim), is they hold their value well.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Generally, if you like what Naim does, you will the Linn boring; and if you like what Linn does, you will find Naim too in your face and ultimately fatiguing. 

I would personally not like the Naim with the OPs speakers but it worked well on demo with my by comparison smooth muffled Harbeths. 

1 minute ago, DomT said:

I would personally not like the Naim with the OPs speakers but it worked well on demo with my by comparison smooth muffled Harbeths. 

The exact point I made in the post above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CnoEvil said:

The exact point I made in the post above.

Didn’t see you post whenI posted! Busy salivating over the lunch that my wife is about to serve me!!! All good and we agree. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If your budget stretches that far then I'd pop a NAD C658 on your shortlist. It uses the popular BluOS user interface and provides Dirac Live functionality. It also offers MQA support.

I borrowed one of these for a couple of weeks whilst my Bel Canto was in the hospital.

I was very impressed with it. A pre amp, streamer & DAC in one box, really easy to use, great BluOS app & a very decent sound indeed. I’d say the only let down with it is the remote control which feels a bit low rent compared to the quality from the actual unit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, on the rocks said:

The NAD may be interesting too.  I'm waiting to see reviews of Arcam's new ST60.  One factor is that I understand BBC Radio no longer works with Tunein but does with vTune?  I would wand to be able to  stream BBC radio without  the hassle of extra boxes or having to play through my phone or tablet

I may be confusing you with someone else but I thought you wanted to keep using your analogue tuner? If so you could connect it to an analogue input on the NAD. You should be able to get one to demo I'd have thought.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I may be confusing you with someone else but I thought you wanted to keep using your analogue tuner? If so you could connect it to an analogue input on the NAD. You should be able to get one to demo I'd have thought.

No you are not confused, that's me.  I'm still not totally decided on moving from FM to streaming yet and still pondering

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, on the rocks said:

No you are not confused, that's me.  I'm still not totally decided on moving from FM to streaming yet and still pondering

We listen to our Roberts radio as much a streaming. If you are on the fence and have room for both then maybe that’s the way forward. 

6 hours ago, orfalot said:

Can you use USB to do this?

what do you use?

Hi, it has a Toslink Optical out, and an rca digital out which both output up to 24 bit/ 96khz and yes, you can install an 'add-on' that outputs via the USB port at up to 192kHz. My dac only accepts Toslink and RCA digital, but I did use the USB output straight into my MiniDSP HD which was being used as an active x-over, so I know that it does work and works well. 

Ok. Ta for that

Squeeze Box touch has been mentioned a couple of times, I've got two of them although using the one on my main system just has a Streamer/transport, outputting to the Wadia for the DAC, with an upgraded IFI power supply. They're a bargain now, DAC is reasonable so its cheap enough it give one a go then if you want to upgrade the DAC you can do so in due course.