Musical Fidelity pairing?

white noise

HI,. I have just bought an old Musical fidelity P270 power amp to add to a pair of Kef Reference 3.2's . I now need a preamp but am not sure about matching . I have an old Audiolab 8000c but fancy trying something new . I will be buying second hand about £500 ish max. Any suggestions welcome!   

I don't know about pre-amps but you're very near JSAudio who no doubt could upgrade that amp very nicely.

This is in budget. 

• Upvote 1

There is a nice MF F2 pre on eBay at the mom at £450 or best offer ....quite a bargain complete with phono stage and MF phono stages are very competent.

Edited by MF 1000

Preamp 3a or 3b (may fit better with p270) by MF.  Had a 3a and p140 and the 3a had good mc/mm phono stage and worked really well, indeed when  I auditioned the pair they were better than naim 42/110. I have a p270 as well I am refurbish.  Great amp

nige

Depends if you want one that matches best visually and in keeping with the period, or that sounds best.

I had a Studio T (an older MF design by the late great Tim de Paravicini) with a small "The Preamp II" and it sounded much better with both a passive and a valve pre.

I later had a smaller power amp of this period with a later full width "The Preamp" with the same result.

I'd also recommend you get the power amp professionally serviced before regular use with the Kef Ref 3.2s as they are lovely and hard to drive. I'm not sure it has speaker protection but at least I think it has fuses in series with the speakers.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Musical fidelity htp..its a very good 2 channel pre amp plus it's a dac too..and it has a gazillion digital inputs coax and optical..it pairs very well with my quad 909..the guy at js audio regards them highly too...

I tried to find the input spec on the MF270 and couldn't find it.  The output of your Audiolab 800c is  100mV (line), 0.707V (Pre out).

The output is probably (I am assuming based on other preamps about at the time of the P270) is probably too low but you can confirm this by telling us how far you are having to turn the volume to get a realistic sound level from the pairing with the Audiolab.  If you get a preamp with too high an output you can use Rothwell attenuators to sort it 

I suspect it will require 1.5 volts (or even more) to give its rated output and so I would be looking at matching it to an MF preamp (the MVT springs to mind) or even better moving up the scale to a nice valve or hybrid valve pre from the likes of Audio Research .. If you listen to a lot of vinyl though there is a Conrad Johnson on Ebay cheap at the mo which had excellent reviews (it needs screws to fix the top plate back on) and that would provide a fairly low cost but excellent bang for your buck.  The review on Stereonet or Stereophile says the phono stage in the Conrad Johnson is a bit special.

So try to find the input requirement for the MFP270 - and if you cannot then use the Audiolab as a benchmark (if you are having to turn the volume knob past 2pm to get very very high level volume then you need a preamp with more output.