Majik 6100D - fans on all the time

Hi, in my cottage, I´ve got a LP12 Majik via MDSM2 and Majik6100D with built in cross over connected to M109 using K400. it really sounds good but the amp is astonishing hot. The fans run all the time when it is in operation - at low volumes as well. Even after turning off (standby) the fans are on for 30 minutes. Any ideas? is it about to need a recap or service? Picture from summer time and then bi-amped and then the amp was warm but never hot and fans never on.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_255d.thumb.jpg.9fac1d9d2e4211d3c4c3a60db2c44243.jpg

45 minutes ago, formann said:

Hi, in my cottage, I´ve got a LP12 Majik via MDSM2 and Majik6100D with built in cross over connected to M109 using K400. it really sounds good but the amp is astonishing hot. The fans run all the time when it is in operation - at low volumes as well. Even after turning off (standby) the fans are on for 30 minutes. Any ideas? is it about to need a recap or service? Picture from summer time and then bi-amped and then the amp was warm but never hot and fans never on.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_255d.thumb.jpg.9fac1d9d2e4211d3c4c3a60db2c44243.jpg

Apologies, I can't offer any insightful wisdom on the fan situation. But, what a view to sit back and listen to great music on a great looking system!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Were the cards installed correctly? I remember when I installed my cards I also removed the front piece and wiped the fan blades clean.

mdsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

10 hours ago, formann said:

It really sounds strange. With that rack the amp seems to have enough air to breathe. Do the sun shine on the system?

(My experience with the Chakra amps it that they run very cool. I have never got the fan to kick in. Of course it is a matter of volume and I rarely go over 60.)

• Upvote 1

Would look even better if you lead the cable in the stand (rear tube) upwards to the speaker.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

Would look even better if you lead the cable in the stand (rear tube) upwards to the speaker.

Good point. Funny that my better half has not complained about the cables. A bit of squeeze with K400+a cut K400. but I believeI will manage and get bonus points :-) . Remember the  old K600. That was bulky and a sales point was " it is easier to dust it". Ups but now we are off topic. Amps still immensely warm.

I've had 3 majik power amps and never remember hearing a fan ever even in summer when driven hard.

does seem strange, indicates a problem to me.

drop the linn helpdesk an email, see what they suggest

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, formann said:

Good point. Funny that my better half has not complained about the cables.

Very likely, she feared divorce.

With the new Silver speaker cables, it's even easier.

At this point, you may want to measure the temperature on the top surface of the amp box and report back here. Then you can compare to others' amps.

The mains fuse in this amplifier is 10 amps, which is a quite a high value. Possibly the fuse is also a T or L type, meaning it takes a while before it trips, or not at all.

Therefore, be careful not to use the amplifier too long while it's overheating. It will burn out individual components if e.g. one of the amplifiers has developed a fault and the DC voltages and currents are not normal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, pdcman said:

did you convert the speakers internally to run full active?

Yes. A bit of pain to get the connections loose but managed in the end - without breaking anything :-)

Unusual one this. I have seen them run hot when the speakers weren't configured correctly. The active card installation will make them run warmer, but the fans shouldn't be on unless you're playing really loud!

Possible fault developing either in the amp or active cards.

If you have a Multimeter, disconnect the speakers cables from the amp, and measure any DC volts that may appear on the speaker outputs. With the system on and playing, it should measure zero!

I used to have this problem, mainly in the summer. I'm running my Akubariks active with 1 x Majik 4100 and 1 x 6100. I have built this fan array (computer fans with external power supply). I'm using fans with a temperature sensors and they don't make any noise and the fans in my power amps never switch on. You could put it behind your rack e.g.

Fan.jpg