Ethernet Cables and Switches

robbie010

1 hour ago, tuga said:

If anyone is shopping for a smaller, simple-looking, fanless, unmanaged alternative to the Cisco, Age UK is selling the Zyxel GS1100-24E on eBay with 60% discount:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114899011792

Zyxel also makes a larger version with a couple of SFP ports.

I've had mine for a week and I don't think that the audible improvements are a fruit of my imagination, but I will listen for a few more days then revert back to not using a switch and see if I can perceive any change.

when you say unmanaged, this is plug and play right, no faffing if config and IP stuff right?

Please can you tell me how you are using this? For example like the below?

Router > Zyxel > SFP module > fiber patch > FMC > streamer 

??

1 hour ago, tuga said:

If anyone is shopping for a smaller, simple-looking, fanless, unmanaged alternative to the Cisco, Age UK is selling the Zyxel GS1100-24E on eBay with 60% discount:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114899011792

Zyxel also makes a larger version with a couple of SFP ports.

I've had mine for a week and I don't think that the audible improvements are a fruit of my imagination, but I will listen for a few more days then revert back to not using a switch and see if I can perceive any change.

Nice spot! Good bit of kit at a very good price. I'll give this a go against my Cisco.

20 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

when you say unmanaged, this is plug and play right, no faffing if config and IP stuff right?

Please can you tell me how you are using this? For example like the below?

Router > Zyxel > SFP module > fiber patch > FMC > streamer 

??

I plugged and it played. :mrgreen:

I am not using the SFP version but if your streamer connects to your DAC then yes that's the way to do it.

Both router and switch sit on the shelf above bridge/endpoint and DAC so I gave up on the idea of fibre/optical...

going to order a Zyxel GS1100-24 SFP rack mount version off fleebay, I have a spare slot on my 4u rack. I'll order the SFP module > fiber patch > FMC from amazon and see if I can hear any audible difference!

6 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

hi all

I'm in myth debunking mode at the moment and this last week I was able to prove to myself that a) streamers can sound different into the same dac and b) USB cables don't just transmit ones and zeros and do actually sound different.  

Next topic for me to try for myself is the network switch....

I read this article here https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/how-to-optimize-digital-streaming-with-optical-fiber/2

Which suggests breaking the LAN connection between the switch and streamer with fiber media convertors (FMCs)

Was going to try these for myself. Has anyone else tried this approach? At £65 seems a no brainer to at least try?

Also, can anyone recommend a basic, unmanaged switch with SFP ports?

You've been indoctrinated.. xD

• Haha 2

On 24/07/2021 at 09:26, Psilonaught said:

I was able to prove to myself that a) streamers can sound different into the same dac and b) USB cables don't just transmit ones and zeros and do actually sound different.  

Ethernet cables can make a difference as well. ;)

It's certainly not just ones and zeros, as much as some like to think it is. :^

2 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Ethernet cables can make a difference as well. ;)

It's certainly not just ones and zeros, as much as some like to think it is. :^

Hi,

Are you not bothered by the telephone exchange power supplies used ?, or the data cables used between the DSL equipment, or even the broadband router power supply in the home ?

DSL is an analogue, so surely all that noise on the telephone line is disrupting your experience when listening a sound service ?

It seems to be out of sight, out of mind, yet the belief system held by subjectivists would have to worry about telephone line noise affecting the DSL braodband router/modem, or their broadband modem/router power supply etc.

Maybe if someone is not selling a solution, it is not a problem.

Regards,

Shadders.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Are you not bothered by the telephone exchange power supplies used ?, or the data cables used between the DSL equipment, or even the broadband router power supply in the home ?

DSL is an analogue, so surely all that noise on the telephone line is disrupting your experience when listening a sound service ?

It seems to be out of sight, out of mind, yet the belief system held by subjectivists would have to worry about telephone line noise affecting the DSL braodband router/modem, or their broadband modem/router power supply etc.

Regards,

Shadders.

:zzzz:

I bought the Cisco 2940-8TF-S off eBay in the end. My existing Netgear switch is worth the same so nothing lost !

Does anyone know if you can use the SFP port in unmanaged mode e.g. is it plug and play?

Might as well try connecting my Innuos optically for shits and giggles.

Edited by Psilonaught

45 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders,

How about you actually try listening to some of this stuff, and hear (or not) the differences for yourself - before you next trot out the same trite response that you seem to revel in (HINT - no one is interested in your purely hypothetical ramblings, get off the keyboard and actually listen to something).

It's not just ones and zeroes, it's the 'ramps' between...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, joolz said:

Shadders,

How about you actually try listening to some of this stuff, and hear (or not) the differences for yourself - before you next trot out the same trite response that you seem to revel in (HINT - no one is interested in your purely hypothetical ramblings, get off the keyboard and actually listen to something).

No disrespect but who listens to Ethernet switches?:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Strider said:

No disrespect but who listens to Ethernet switches?:P

If it's in the system you're listening to it..

2 minutes ago, joolz said:

Shadders,

Hi,

I design and build my own hifi, amongst other things. I have built a DAC using cascaded voltage regulation for the analogue stage, used individual low noise surface mount voltage regulators for each power pin of the DAC IC, with copious amounts of capacitance for both the digital and analogue power supplies. Shielded transformers, both digital and analogue power supplies, femto-second jitter clock - and it made not one iota of difference to my Cambridge Audio DVD player used to play CD's.

These are not hypothetical ramblings.

Why not discuss the issue rather than attack the person ?

Regards,

Shadders.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joolz said:

If it's in the system you're listening to it..

I beg  to differ, it this were the case then I'm sure Dante, Crestron, Soundweb, BiAmp, Clearone and many more audio designers like me would be auditioning switches and routers, of course we're agnostic when it comes to manufacturer but as long as it's up to specification of works. Switches simply do not have a 'sound', well I suppose it it has a fan cooled PSU then it makes a difference audibly.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Strider said:

I beg  to differ, it this were the case then I'm sure Dante, Crestron, Soundweb, BiAmp, Clearone and many more audio designers like me would be auditioning switches and routers, of course we're agnostic when it comes to manufacturer but as long as it's up to specification of works. Switches simply do not have a 'sound', well I suppose it it has a fan cooled PSU then it makes a difference audibly.

It is a view and you are entitled to hold it and yet when I did my own experiments at home with various switches and me playing a track from the drive on my streamer there was only one switch which gave the same sound as me pulling out the ethernet cable from the back of the streamer mid track. So I bought that switch. It is the Innuos PhoenixNET.

Now obviously I could just set an album going and pull the ethernet cable each time but life is too short for that sort of faff.

Out of interest, you said, “audio designers like me” in your post. Do you do it for a living? Just interested.

• Like 1