Klimax Chakra 500 twin input switching

London Lad

Hi All,

I wonder if any Klimax Chakra 500 twin owners could help me out with some info.

The KCT has balanced and unbalanced inputs and a switch to select the input in use.

I notice that when fed via the unbalanced phono inputs the switch has the effect of adjusting the gain (as expected) Loud in the unbalanced position and very quiet in the balanced position. However when fed via the balanced inputs the switch seems to have no effect at all. Have any KCT owners noticed the same behaviour and could anyone explain why?

Also I'm interested in owners views on SQ when using balanced V unbalanced inputs (amp is being fed from a Linn Selekt BTW)

Thanks

'

12 minutes ago, London Lad said:

Hi All,

I wonder if any Klimax Chakra 500 twin owners could help me out with some info.

The KCT has balanced and unbalanced inputs and a switch to select the input in use.

I notice that when fed via the unbalanced phono inputs the switch has the effect of adjusting the gain (as expected) Loud in the unbalanced position and very quiet in the balanced position. However when fed via the balanced inputs the switch seems to have no effect at all. Have any KCT owners noticed the same behaviour and could anyone explain why?

Also I'm interested in owners views on SQ when using balanced V unbalanced inputs (amp is being fed from a Linn Selekt BTW)

Thanks

'

I can offer a view on SQ when using balanced v unbalanced inputs.

I preferred to use unbalanced connections from my Klimax Kontrol with the selector switch on the Twin in the appropriate position.. Others may have a different opinion.

34 minutes ago, London Lad said:

.The KCT has balanced and unbalanced inputs and a switch to select the input in use.

As you say, the switch selects which input to use. To feed the amp from the unbalanced input and with the switch select the balanced is not an expected use case; I believe the signal level is very weak in this case. By design there is a 6 dB difference in gain between the balanced and unbalanced inputs but I think this is not what you are referring to. Or?

Does the balanced input have an isolating transformer unlike RCA so is independent of the button just as in dsm you can turn the transformer for balanced off?  Just a thought

39 minutes ago, London Lad said:

Thank you both. I understand the switch function and the difference in gain between the two inputs but don't understand why, when fed via the balanced inputs, the switch seems to have no effect at all ?

It must be the design of the switch that makes the balanced input not to alter with the switch setting. From the manual “This switch does not directly pass the audio signal but instead sends a control signal to distortionless solid state switches.” I can not explain why it works as it does but I’m pretty convinced that there’s no intention to change anything as it not a defined use case. As I see it there are two defined use cases: 1. Unbalanced connection with the button pressed in; 2. Balanced connection with the button unpressed. The remaining two use cases are not supposed/specified to work in a certain way, but how they actually work is a result of the switch design.

4 hours ago, HansBertil said:

It must be the design of the switch that makes the balanced input not to alter with the switch setting. From the manual “This switch does not directly pass the audio signal but instead sends a control signal to distortionless solid state switches.” I can not explain why it works as it does but I’m pretty convinced that there’s no intention to change anything as it not a defined use case. As I see it there are two defined use cases: 1. Unbalanced connection with the button pressed in; 2. Balanced connection with the button unpressed. The remaining two use cases are not supposed/specified to work in a certain way, but how they actually work is a result of the switch design.

Agreed but inquisitive minds need to know :-) I've emailed Linn and will report back if I get an answer.

4 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

Does the balanced input have an isolating transformer unlike RCA so is independent of the button just as in dsm you can turn the transformer for balanced off?  Just a thought

Possibly as a led illuminates when the switch is in the unbalanced position

48 minutes ago, London Lad said:

Agreed but inquisitive minds need to know :-) I've emailed Linn and will report back if I get an answer.

Aha. Sheer curiosity then :) Please let us know if you get any information.