Rdw

Wanted: Floor-standing speakers and amp in Cornwall

Hi All,

Trying to help a friend who is looking for a pair of floor-standing speakers and an integrated amp. Based near Truro and I'm hoping someone down here can help.

Speakers: I've got loyalty to KEF, but I'm open to other brands as long as the quality is there. Clean, balanced, on/off-axis response is important, as well as deep bass extension that doesn't break up at high volume. It would be good to avoid needing a sub. Condition should be good with any imperfections hard to spot. Power handling should be ~150w rms per speaker. ~£500 to spend

Amp: Not very fussy about brands. Interested in most high-powered integrated amps that can accept inputs from a TV and Chromecast audio. I've had good experiences with Yamaha but again, open to what is available locally. ~£150 to spend

Price on both is ballpark

Anyone down here looking to sell, please get in touch!

Thanks,

Richard

Open door has some floorstanders of decent quality for 450 in the classifieds......might be of interest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd spend a bit more on the amp personally. I've had good results with studio power amps around that price eg Yamaha but not integrateds.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

For the kind of budget your looking at I would say a pair of Q Acoustic 3050/3050i and a Rotel RA9xx BX series integrated or possibly the later 02 - 06 range. 

Your bass criteria means you must look for a 3 way floorstander with a minimum 10" bass unit. That's a tough call with only a 'monkey' (£500) budget...

Jack NSM

• Like 1

You are right to look locally because of transport costs..Gumtree?

Jack

For a while I used Audioengine HD6 as for me pretty good speakers, although of course they cost quite a lot .. here is a review where it is described in detail about them https://theguruchoice.com/speakers/best-speakers-for-vinyl/

Edited by R.Parsons

pair of recapped (by wilmslow) rosewood mk 1 (better rubber surrounds) kef 104/2 on pinkfishmedia.

Not sure how close to you.

But worth travelling for at that price.

Great speakers.

There's a pair of Focal Chorus 726 floorstanders on Ebay (ex dem) for 599 - free 120m delivery. Seller is in Brum. (Bargainauctionsuk) They are a lot of speaker for that money. French, of course.

I have a Quad Vena 2 for sale in Plymouth has a very good dac built in, Bluetooth capability, decent turntable input 18 months old boxed, but it is way above your amplifier budget, but a hell of a lot of value would be £450 which is what i paid for it 

On 22/02/2021 at 14:34, Non-Smoking Man said:

There's a pair of Focal Chorus 726 floorstanders on Ebay (ex dem) for 599 - free 120m delivery. Seller is in Brum. (Bargainauctionsuk) They are a lot of speaker for that money. French, of course.

Thanks, unfortunately 120 miles barely get's me past Devon :( Good looking spec on those speakers though!

On 22/02/2021 at 12:42, Magic said:

Richard,

When you say that you want to run Chromecast & TV into the amp, do you mean it must have digital inputs?

Jules

Not necessarily. I've run a CCA into an integrated via an RCA converter, thus making use of the built-in DAC in the CCA and it sounds fine. Digital input would be preferable if the DAC in the amp is audibly better than the one in the CCA. Hope that makes sense. R