I was at our local grocery store yesterday and noticed Led Zepellin's "Black Dog" was being piped in. I thought it rather novel. Then, things became more interesting when Genesis's "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" started playing. I was singing along at the cash register. It all reminded me of my former local grocery in Austin, Texas where I heard piped in Slade's "Run Runaway," and, this blew me away, Yes's "And You and I."

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 4

This reminds me of the supermarket in London Hampstead where I used to buy a baguette and mixed salad almost every evening in the autumn of 1983.
I was a trainee with a London based shipping company, had almost no money and the baguette/salad combo was pretty cheap.
Even in 1983 Hampstead was one of the most expensive parts of London I could only afford by living in the local youth hostel.

Back ON TOPIC:
They played John Peel's BBC radio show every evening in the supermarket. I had never heard John Peel before but the music he played was a true revelation :notworthy:

Edited by JensA
  • Like 3

@JensA

Very nice story. It's all on topic, just for fun.

• Like 1

Autumn of ´83 in London was full of football, music and politics...

When I returned to Hamburg in late December I came with about 100 still sealed vinyl records: All my money went for vinyl, concerts and football tickets.xD

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, JensA said:

Autumn of ´83 in London was full of football, music and politics...

When I returned to Hamburg in late December I came with about 100 still sealed vinyl records: All my money went for vinyl, concerts and football tickets.xD

Life was so much simpler when we were young. I was either working, or trying to find company with the fairer sex. :D

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The other day, Yes's "Roundabout" was playing. I thought it rather novel, but it was a top hit in 1971. Then, they played Led Zeppelin's "Dancing Days" from Houses of the Holy.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Certainly, a good strategy to best the customer experience of online groceries!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

The bar has been raised. Just returned from the store. This time it was "Hocus Pocus" by Focus, live version. Could be from "At the Rainbow." It's going to be hard to beat that one.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I remember from today’s trip to Morrison’s was Elton’s overplayed ‘I’m Still Standing’ and the Eurythmics’ godawful ‘Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This’ (the store opened in the 80s and has seemingly stayed there).  How I’d love to shop to Yes and Led Zep instead!

• Like 2
Just now, Fitter Stoke said:

All I remember from today’s trip to Morrison’s was Elton’s overplayed ‘I’m Still Standing’ and the Eurythmics’ godawful ‘Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This’ (the store opened in the 80s and has seemingly stayed there).  How I’d love to shop to Yes and Led Zep instead!

Just returned from the market. Today was some more Yes, but "Owner of a Lonely Heart." Which really doesn't count.

On 04/04/2021 at 01:11, akamatsu said:

The bar has been raised. Just returned from the store. This time it was "Hocus Pocus" by Focus, live version. Could be from "At the Rainbow." It's going to be hard to beat that one.

As an aside, the Rainbow was a favourite venue of mine, and I saw a great many acts there, although sadly not Focus. Mind you, the current lineup, which still includes Thijs van Leer and Pierre van der Linden, have played our local music club in recent years, which is half a mile from our house!

Mick

• Like 2
On 21/02/2021 at 16:42, akamatsu said:

I was at our local grocery store yesterday and noticed Led Zepellin's "Black Dog" was being piped in. I thought it rather novel. Then, things became more interesting when Genesis's "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" started playing. I was singing along at the cash register. It all reminded me of my former local grocery in Austin, Texas where I heard piped in Slade's "Run Runaway," and, this blew me away, Yes's "And You and I."

Oh, I miss visiting Austin, the only place I’ve seen live music in a supermarket - WC Clark and band on the food deck at Central Market on N. Lamar, for free, while we ate lunch! Only airport I’ve encountered with live music too. Music everywhere, in fact. Wonderful city.

’troll

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Oh, I miss visiting Austin, the only place I’ve seen live music in a supermarket - WC Clark and band on the food deck at Central Market on N. Lamar, for free, while we ate lunch! Only airport I’ve encountered with live music too. Music everywhere, in fact. Wonderful city.

Me too! The home of Guitar Resurrection - one of my toys came from there and I spent a great afternoon jamming away with the locals!

Timing the trip to slot in with SXSW was something that I had down to a fine art!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Just returned from the market. Today was some more Yes, but "Owner of a Lonely Heart." Which really doesn't count.

My 38 year old told me he’d been streaming that album recently. I’d always thought that he’d never paid any attention to what was playing in our house since he was five and sang along to John Martyn’s Solid Air in the car. 

‘troll

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dasher said:

Me too! The home of Guitar Resurrection - one of my toys came from there and I spent a great afternoon jamming away with the locals!

Timing the trip to slot in with SXSW was something that I had down to a fine art!

Come to think of it, I too bought a guitar from Guitar Resurrection, but did not jam with the locals. I would always buy strings from them. Small world, eh?

Edited by akamatsu