6 minutes ago, zee9 said:

The more I read this thread the more I feel I should have opted for keltiks instead of the 242’s.

Don’t get me wrong. I Just spent an hour listening to my kabers and katans and decided i’ll never sell the kabers but last week I thought I should sell the Kan II’s instead of the katans. All those 3 speakers with the katans being at the bottom of the list sound more warm and romantic than clinical. Then I come back to my 242’s and just love the presence, the bass and the detail. If I could just get them to be a bit warmer id be a happy camper but I think that’s the main difference between the old and new linn sound. I maybe wrong but that’s what I feel.

In hearing the older speakers I do feel that a standpoint can’t replace a floor stander. So my advice is to hear the akudoriks before you sell the keltiks and if you really like/love the 3k sound then you’re probably going to need a full system revamp and get the akubariks with 10 channels

PS - the gentleman who bought my ninkas and my c5100 is coming over today to hear the aktiv 242’s. I’ll let you know his thoughts between the regular tweeter and 3k arrays as soon as i can. I’m curious what he will say.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

Thanks Zee. I'm absolutely loving the Ketiks in my ASH/AEB-I setup. It's certainly a relaxed rich sound that I'm currently really enjoying. My worry is, if I listen to the Akudorik and like what it offers then I'll just want the Akubariks. Then the costs go up considerably when I need more amplification to power those beasts! Perhaps what you're after is unobtainable? You want bass and detail but warmth too. Is that possible? I don't know. Must be surely. But with what?

Mike.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After some days now and SOv2 running 🙌🏼 I have the following remarks/observations/scribbles.    IMHO it’s definitely an upgrade, not just a side step or matter of taste. There is however a smal

Well, I've only had the Keltiks up and running for a couple of days but already I'm very impressed. I'm using the same ASH source and AEB-I amplification as @Pennypacker. However, I switched from Nink

I think you will love the 212 when you get katalyst, they will lose the clinical sound.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, zee9 said:

The more I read this thread the more I feel I should have opted for keltiks instead of the 242’s.

Don’t get me wrong. I Just spent an hour listening to my kabers and katans and decided i’ll never sell the kabers but last week I thought I should sell the Kan II’s instead of the katans. All those 3 speakers with the katans being at the bottom of the list sound more warm and romantic than clinical. Then I come back to my 242’s and just love the presence, the bass and the detail. If I could just get them to be a bit warmer id be a happy camper but I think that’s the main difference between the old and new linn sound. I maybe wrong but that’s what I feel.

In hearing the older speakers I do feel that a standpoint can’t replace a floor stander. So my advice is to hear the akudoriks before you sell the keltiks and if you really like/love the 3k sound then you’re probably going to need a full system revamp and get the akubariks with 10 channels

PS - the gentleman who bought my ninkas and my c5100 is coming over today to hear the aktiv 242’s. I’ll let you know his thoughts between the regular tweeter and 3k arrays as soon as i can. I’m curious what he will say.

Is your Katalyst upgrade already in your system?

Is your Katalyst upgrade already in your system?

It’s ordered but not yet arrived :(

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, zee9 said:

It’s ordered but not yet arrived :(

Zee, I'd love to hear your thoughts once you have the Katalyst upgrade installed.

On 12/05/2021 at 04:10, SnapperMike said:

Many thanks. So Bass 1 on the AEB-I to the far left pair of inputs on the Keltiks?

Anyone else with experience of connecting a AEB-I to Keltiks able to confirm?

@teuchter85 @fredbatch @Suffolkboy@Fallguy @CJ1045

Cheers, Mike.

IMG_5519.JPG

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 21.27.09.png

Just catching up on this thread!. That is what I did also and with the same "logic".

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

The double adhesive tape that was on it already was still sticky enough for me. So I did not add anything.

When I decided to tighten up the drivers on my Keltiks it was pretty obvious that the previous owner had taken the rings off at some point and had done a pretty poor job of reattaching them with hot glue. I removed all the hot glue and the original factory applied double sided tape (a very tedious process I might add) and applied fresh double sided tape, which worked great.

• Like 1

Just an update: the gentleman who bought my ninkas and is now running them aktiv with an mdsm/3 and an akurate level lp12 said that he has not heard detail and soundstage like mine before in his life. He did not find my speakers clinical and was shocked at how real it made the music sound. I asked if he felt the lack of warmth and he said try an lp12 as a source which leaves me with no definitive answer.

Once I do have the katalyst upgrade I think my direction will become more clear.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, zee9 said:

Just an update: the gentleman who bought my ninkas and is now running them aktiv with an mdsm/3 and an akurate level lp12 said that he has not heard detail and soundstage like mine before in his life. He did not find my speakers clinical and was shocked at how real it made the music sound. I asked if he felt the lack of warmth and he said try an lp12 as a source which leaves me with no definitive answer.

Once I do have the katalyst upgrade I think my direction will become more clear.

probably the direction of the record store after you bought an LP12 🤪

In al seriousness, the Katalyst upgrade would be kind of the last resort to clean up any harshness and maybe ad some warmth. 

14 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

probably the direction of the record store after you bought an LP12 🤪

In al seriousness, the Katalyst upgrade would be kind of the last resort to clean up any harshness and maybe ad some warmth. 

And passive with a tundra, never liked mk1 242 aktiv, too clinical and cold. Mk2 were fine.

Edited by Suffolkboy