Keltik vs M140

I feel the urge to hear Keltiks, I hate youse guys!

• Like 2

I'm not surprised of the interest in Keltiks, but when compared with ninkas and Majik 140, it s what was linns top of the range speaker versus entry level.  I changed Keltik for 242 mk2 nd never really looked back, next was artikulat 350, which in many ways was a backward step, and was very pleased I hadn't sold the 242s. I find it a good testament to ninkas and Majik 140 they're even being compared.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

@Pennypackerdo you still feel the urge to hear 3k array loudspeakers? I must admit, my urge has diminished somewhat.

Not really, I’m quite dedicated on keeping things at least Aktiv in any form and with my existing front end this means that the 212/akudorik are the only options. Second I really like the sound of the Keltiks and It’s bass extension.

Im really curious how far I can upgrade the front end whilst keeping the Keltiks.

OTOH, after listening to the NGKDSM some time ago, I really want to wait if Organik shows up for my AEBi, if so I will probably jump for it. Otherwise a switch to AEB10/6 or maybe even Selekt is needed, opening another can of worms. I’m in no hurry though, at least my upgraderites is not as big as when I used the M140.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you are enjoying the Keltiks Pennypacker. The tweeter swap is fairly straightforward and rewarding. I went for the OW1, which I initially thought had higher gain but got used to it and maybe indicative of the age of the units they replaced. OW2s are the other options and maybe better can’t comment.

someone else commented about getting rid of their sub now they have Keltiks, I did the opposite and built a sub and purchased and exaktboxsub. Couple of reasons I am in a fairly large room and using exakt design filters I can reduce the freq band the main bass drivers have to cover to provide easier load for the amps. The bass units on the Keltik are hungry beasts and respond well to power. The intention here was to improve the texture of the upper bass, by giving the isobarik units less work to do, and it seemed to have worked, bass has never been deeper or more controlled. I never notice the sub at all which is when you know it’s well integrated.

if anyone is going the killer Keltik route I am happy to share my measurements and exakt design custom filters with you. Not sure why you would expect to pay for this, as this is what a forum community is for.

cheers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@snappermike - any changes in regard of position for the keltiks yet?

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Finster said:

someone else commented about getting rid of their sub now they have Keltiks, I did the opposite and built a sub and purchased and exaktboxsub. Couple of reasons I am in a fairly large room and using exakt design filters I can reduce the freq band the main bass drivers have to cover to provide easier load for the amps. The bass units on the Keltik are hungry beasts and respond well to power. The intention here was to improve the texture of the upper bass, by giving the isobarik units less work to do, and it seemed to have worked, bass has never been deeper or more controlled. I never notice the sub at all which is when you know it’s well integrated.

@FinsterI think you are referring to me here.

That's a very interesting comment about still using your subwoofer with your Keltiks and makes sense. Although I still have my Majik 126 sub and Exaktbox Sub, my room is only 6x4m so probably me adding it to my 'new' Keltiks would be overkill.

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike

11 hours ago, Finster said:

Hope you are enjoying the Keltiks Pennypacker. The tweeter swap is fairly straightforward and rewarding. I went for the OW1, which I initially thought had higher gain but got used to it and maybe indicative of the age of the units they replaced. OW2s are the other options and maybe better can’t comment.

if anyone is going the killer Keltik route I am happy to share my measurements and exakt design custom filters with you. Not sure why you would expect to pay for this, as this is what a forum community is for.

cheers

Still enjoying, as is my eldest daughter much to my surprise. 

So if I understand you correctly, swapping the tweet for OW-1 is beneficial without any hardware adjustment? Just for the record, I drive the Keltiks with AEBi and I’m really keen on keep using SOv2, so custom filters are not an option at the moment.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

@FinsterI think you are referring to me here.

That's a very interesting comment about still using your subwoofer with your Keltiks and makes sense. Although I still have my Majik 126 sub and Exaktbox Sub, my room is only 6x4m so probably me adding it to my 'new' Keltiks would be overkill.

Mike.

You should at least give it a shot as all hardware is there.😁

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pennypacker said:

You should at least give it a shot as all hardware is there.😁

I know! I will over the next few weeks. However, I quite like the thought of not having to integrate a sub.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1

Exact sub-box Linndocs states other models will continue to be added.  This hasn’t been the case, for REL models. As Linn don’t currently produce a sub, adding other models and brands would be appreciated. To be fair the generic settings work well. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chapman said:

Exact sub-box Linndocs states other models will continue to be added.  This hasn’t been the case, for REL models. As Linn don’t currently produce a sub, adding other models and brands would be appreciated. To be fair the generic settings work well. 

Yes, wondering why Linn is not adding additional subs, r&d spent better elsewhere or they have come to realisation that it doesn't matter much, which brings me to my second question.

From a technical standpoint, does exakt account for variances in a speakers frequency response, and corrects to create a linear frequency response? 

Wonder, based on above whether inputting linn sub 12345678 assumes a linear frequency response of generic sub and hence does not correct for a non-linear frequency response where it would for a measured or known sub input into konfig.

Am I on to something or full of kakapoopoo?

4 hours ago, Bob Chapman said:

This hasn’t been the case, for REL models

I could be wrong but my comprehension of this is that REL has been hesitant to cooperate, not Linn. 

2 hours ago, Craigas said:

Yes, wondering why Linn is not adding additional subs

Per the above, I think it has more to do with the fact that they cannot find many companies willing to accommodate them in this pursuit.

On 03/06/2021 at 08:38, Finster said:

cheers

I quite agree that for individuals who are using Exakt Design filters, there should be a free exchange of information. However, for people like Sunbeamgls (Speakerfilters) who is building up a catalogue/portfolio for many different speaker combinations and is providing a service which requires time and effort and involves travelling costs, it seems appropriate to pay a fee to have access to these model specific filters, especially given that a trial period is provided. I am using Exakt Design only for my DIY projects (including modified Keltiks) so I don’t mind sharing information with likeminded individuals.

REL and Linn clearly have a scunner, as REL list a myriad of speakers of their "speaker match" function on their website, but no Linn. Linn at least has two REL's. Probably some petty spat between "leaders" years ago over who was more overpriced?

• Haha 2