Everybody thanks again for the information. Gave a ring to a dealer today asking for advice. He said swapping M140 for Keltik would not be directly a step up, more a matter of taste and as bonus pointed out that it’s a 30 year old design. He also noted that the EABi would make them work, however not really sing. 

A proper A/B before purchase is out the question, so if I opt for the Keltiks it would be an “educated guess.” Moving them along if things don’t work would my escape though, OTOH their approx 50kg so maybe quit the hassle.

Still tinkering though, since this was former top spec model. I think I could need some reassurance the the AEBi would not run out of breath.

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After some days now and SOv2 running 🙌🏼 I have the following remarks/observations/scribbles.    IMHO it’s definitely an upgrade, not just a side step or matter of taste. There is however a smal

After much consideration and reading on the various forum until my eyes bled, I bit the bullet and after some driving and hard labour the Keltiks are now wobbly in place where normally the M140 reside

As I understand it Jail you have reverted back to your Ninkas that you've had for ages from your fairly new to you 212's? You like the weight, smoothness and bass of the Ninka but you miss the open de

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Pennypacker said:

Everybody thanks again for the information. Gave a ring to a dealer today asking for advice. He said swapping M140 for Keltik would not be directly a step up, more a matter of taste and as bonus pointed out that it’s a 30 year old design. He also noted that the EABi would make them work, however not really sing. 

A proper A/B before purchase is out the question, so if I opt for the Keltiks it would be an “educated guess.” Moving them along if things don’t work would my escape though, OTOH their approx 50kg so maybe quit the hassle.

Still tinkering though, since this was former top spec model. I think I could need some reassurance the the AEBi would not run out of breath.

Appreciate your dilemma but don't forget that active loudspeakers are an inherently easy load compared to passive designs and their power sapping crossovers. Although I have no direct experience of the AEB-I, I would expect it to do an excellent job. I'm sure I've read comments elsewhere that endorse this combination. The more compromising aspect is likely to be optimising the enviromnent in which they are used - there's a lot of potential bass energy to contend with.

The Kaber and the Isobarik in one loudspeaker (Keltik), would you want to do that individually today.

I had the Keltik Aktiv back then and it was impressive. But it couldn't keep up with the music experience that Linn offers us today. Here in Germany, one is currently being offered for 1000 euros a pair.

Edited by Johannes
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Johannes said:

The Kaber and the Isobarik in one loudspeaker (Keltik), would you want to do that individually today.

I had the Keltik Aktiv back then and it was impressive. But it couldn't keep up with the music experience that Linn offers us today. Here in Germany, one is currently being offered for 1000 euros a pair.

I tend to agree. The newer stuff from Linn is overall better; more resolving and more musical. I was listening to Keltiks back in the mid 1990s.

• Like 1
Some exakt akudorik ( non kat) on the bay with hub. They have already failed to sell once you could sell the AEBi and the hub and get a mighty cheap pair of exakt speakers. 

Good idea. I fancy the hub. The seller wasn’t able to split for me but we could offer him something between us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other points of views on the table, thanks. @akamatsu and @Johannes you played aktiv back in the day. Presumably with Klouts I guess, another question would be of the AEBi would make al the difference.

7 hours ago, Gdp65 said:

Good idea. I fancy the hub. The seller wasn’t able to split for me but we could offer him something between us?

If you are referring to me, I’m afraid I can’t help you at the moment.  It sound like a good option on paper, howeve getting a system for that kind of money being send blindly from the bay is a little bit to risky for me. I’m not situated in the UK.

1 hour ago, Pennypacker said:

Other points of views on the table, thanks. @akamatsu and @Johannes you played aktiv back in the day. Presumably with Klouts I guess, another question would be of the AEBi would make al the difference.

Then one would have to be of the opinion that the new k-arrays, for example, are not better than the old tweeters.

If you are referring to me, I’m afraid I can’t help you at the moment.  It sound like a good option on paper, howeve getting a system for that kind of money being send blindly from the bay is a little bit to risky for me. I’m not situated in the UK.

No prob. Just a thought.

I used Keltik s with klimax crossovers with solos and moved to passive 242 with a pair of solos.

Overall I preferred 242 for musicality and the 3k detail and  resolution.  It was missing the ultimate bass power, but still very enjoyable when you consider the redundant solos i had to sell.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gdp65 said:

@Gdp65 I've sent you message.

Edited by SnapperMike
2 hours ago, Johannes said:

Then one would have to be of the opinion that the new k-arrays, for example, are not better than the old tweeters.

Well, an educated guess would say that the 2K is better then the old tweeter. OTOH the complete package of the Keltik could be better then the M140.

I heard the different older style tweeters in the Keilidhs and I prefer the 2K (from memory TBH).

I found the older tweeter in the Keilidh on the shrill side of things and could not understand what such a tweeter was doing in the top-dog of that era, the Keltik. The only reasons I could think of where that the advanced Keltik cabinet somehow makes that tweeter perform better and that one could tune that channel via the aktiv-cards.

8 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

My Keltik listening happened frequently at a friend's house. Yes, he had Klouts. It was the best sounding system around in our little Linn community in Austin, Texas.

I can only imagine that an AEB-I would improve things, at least to my ear.

I have had the pleasure of hearing at least 4 Keltik systems in my travels, including one of the guys here.

‘One thing that was common to all the owners, is that they loved their bass and they were fiercely defendant of their Keltiks. 

I have yet to take my Akurate Exaktbox I over to Finster’s home because of Covid restrictions, but it would be an interesting afternoon.

I am new to WAM and enjoy reading anything Keltik related. I have been emotionally attached to mine for about 15 years! I too have gone the killer route with the Seas mid and OW1 tweeter. To me they sounded great with my KK, Klimax Tuneboxes and a pair of 4200D’s....

I then noticed my local dealer had a pair of Keltiks up for sale. A phone call later and I had arranged a dem to hear them using an Exaktbox. I must admit my expectations were not very high, especially as it would mean waving goodbye to my KK (which I was also emotionally attached too!) and moving over to the digital volume control via my KDS. Call me old fashioned but the word digital normally sent shivers down my spine!  How wrong I was, the Exaktbox 10 was a huge upgrade compared to KK & Tuneboxes. I have never heard Keltiks sounding so good. They may be an old design but they are more than capable of revealing improvements with each upgrade.

For those interested I am using Paulsurrounds customised SO settings for Keltiks (thanks for sharing the info Paul) via the bi amped bass 081/038 filter.

Kevin

• Like 2