I currently run my Keltisk with Akurate Exaktbox Katalyst , 2xA4200  (from AEDSM), very amusing and enjoyable punch. The 2K Array with active or exact is however very nice and open. Akubarik is however a bit different - and more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After some days now and SOv2 running 🙌🏼 I have the following remarks/observations/scribbles.    IMHO it’s definitely an upgrade, not just a side step or matter of taste. There is however a smal

Well, I've only had the Keltiks up and running for a couple of days but already I'm very impressed. I'm using the same ASH source and AEB-I amplification as @Pennypacker. However, I switched from Nink

I think you will love the 212 when you get katalyst, they will lose the clinical sound.

Posted Images

On 22/02/2021 at 16:20, Pennypacker said:

Which tweeter generation would be best?

If you are staying within the Linn fold for tweeters then the '3 bar' tweeters sound the best but be aware the bars protrude more so they push out the fabric cover but to my mind the Keltiks look best without the cover anyway.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone got any comparative conclusions on the sound benefits or differences of the 2K arrays of either the 109 or 140's in comparison to the 3K array of the 242, 212, Akudorik or Akubarik's? Is the difference between 2K and 3K significant? 

As a future upgrade I can't go to Akubariks but I could go to Majik 140's or Akudoriks.

Mike.

Has anyone got any comparative conclusions on the sound benefits or differences of the 2K arrays of either the 109 or 140's in comparison to the 3K array of the 242, 212, Akudorik or Akubarik's? Is the difference between 2K and 3K significant? 
As a future upgrade I can't go to Akubariks but I could go to Majik 140's or Akudoriks.
Mike.

I have not heard the 140’s but have heard the 2k array on a komponent Centre speaker. Id pick the akudoriks over the 140’s.

If I had two matching subs and was a guru at sub woofer integration is already have the akudoriks home.

There’s a passive demo pair available here for a great price.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

To bad passive Akudoriks don’t pop up that often in my area. Last week a pair of 212 showed up on a local  auction site, they on reserved on the moment. I’m still contemplating if I will contact the seller in case the first buyer won’t show. 

**update, the 212 are gone as I wrote the above 

Edited by Pennypacker
New insights
23 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Mike.

I had a dealer demo of M140's and I did NOT like them - the top end had a harsh feeling to it which I put down to the 2K array and so, perhaps a little short sightedly, I have dismissed anything with a 2K array fitted. The 3K array on the other hand is very sweet but offers more detail than you will get from 'traditional' tweeters.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I owned 109's aktiv from a 6100D, sold them. I was told using my Oppo 105D could've been a reason for my not getting on with them, but the lack of bass was as much a problem as the overly revealing 2K. That was 3 years ago. I do still own a pair of Komponent 104's and they didn't irritate me at all out of my Exaktbox-i. I forget if I felt I could live with them though. The 212's are much better, and I am missing them a bit with the Ninkas being used now. The 3K is much smoother and more sophisticated. I really can't decide if I need all the detail it brings. I do love the increase insight into the tune it brings for sure. I'm hearing things I've never heard before which is incredible, but....I dunno...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

I owned 109's aktiv from a 6100D, sold them. I was told using my Oppo 105D could've been a reason for my not getting on with them, but the lack of bass was as much a problem as the overly revealing 2K. That was 3 years ago. I do still own a pair of Komponent 104's and they didn't irritate me at all out of my Exaktbox-i. I forget if I felt I could live with them though. The 212's are much better, and I am missing them a bit with the Ninkas being used now. The 3K is much smoother and more sophisticated. I really can't decide if I need all the detail it brings. I do love the increase insight into the tune it brings for sure. I'm hearing things I've never heard before which is incredible, but....I dunno...

Why did u switch from the 212 to Ninka? Or do I misread your post?

I always had and an eye on the 212, more then on the 242 from a aesthetic point of view, I rate the Akudorik even more so in this regard. To bad 212’s and passive Akudoriks are so rare and really a pity that new ones are also out of the question, they where my dot on the horizon of hifi. Ore maybe more the pot of gold under the hifi 🌈 

I never experienced any over revealing in the 2K, I had them with 5125/D and Cambridge CXN, later on MDSi and MDSM/3, currently on the AEBi. Even though the latter gives the smoothest sound IMHO 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

As I understand it Jail you have reverted back to your Ninkas that you've had for ages from your fairly new to you 212's? You like the weight, smoothness and bass of the Ninka but you miss the open details from the 3K array of the stand mounts.

Why not now make that purchase of a subwoofer that you've mentioned before and partner that with the 212's?  Maybe that's the complete package for your bass weight AND the open, insightful sound from the 3K that you like?

Unfortunately I suspect that means the purchase of an Exaktbox Sub too.

Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

As I understand it Jail you have reverted back to your Ninkas that you've had for ages from your fairly new to you 212's? You like the weight, smoothness and bass of the Ninka but you miss the open details from the 3K array of the stand mounts.

Why not now make that purchase of a subwoofer that you've mentioned before and partner that with the 212's?  Maybe that's the complete package for your bass weight AND the open, insightful sound from the 3K that you like?

Mike.

Jail4CEO’s bought my 212’s, and it should be a big step up from the Ninkas.

The 212’s would significantly benefit even more with a subwoofer, and I have advised Jail to do the same for a while.........  😉

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

Why did u switch from the 212 to Ninka? Or do I misread your post?

I always had and an eye on the 212, more then on the 242 from a aesthetic point of view, I rate the Akudorik even more so in this regard. To bad 212’s and passive Akudoriks are so rare and really a pity that new ones are also out of the question, they where my dot on the horizon of hifi. Ore maybe more the pot of gold under the hifi 🌈 

I never experienced any over revealing in the 2K, I had them with 5125/D and Cambridge CXN, later on MDSi and MDSM/3, currently on the AEBi. Even though the latter gives the smoothest sound IMHO 

I changed between the Ninkas and 212's because I'm not wholly in love with the latter. The detail they retrieve is incredible, the Ninkas less so, so I wanted to go back to the Ninkas to see if I liked them better. Of I could live with their compromises versus the one's of the 212's. 

18 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Mike.

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm probably going to do a BK sub by the summer. I'm miffed that I have to pony up for the Exaktbox sub eventually. I want Katalyst on my Exaktbox-i first though. And of course all this is happening with a view to Zee's recent successful ADSM upgrade with some overtones to me. That means I may have to do, at minimum an ASH also....sigh. 

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Jail4CEO’s bought my 212’s, and it should be a big step up from the Ninkas.

The 212’s would significantly benefit even more with a subwoofer, and I have advised Jail to do the same for a while.........  😉

Yes a big step. I'm trying to assess if I really need all the detail. The BK 400, if I don't keep the 212's, it can still add a bit to the Ninkas. I shoulda learned from my 109 experience I think.