Jump to content

Keltik vs M140


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, fredbatch said:

•    Exakt Design filters supplied by third parties can only be applied via Konfig and can only be used with SO1. The web based linn app will not recognise SO2 if an Exakt Design filter is in use (at present).

Thanks Fred!. This is all really helpful. It's a pity that Linn are unable to document this kind of thing with any clarity. I would maybe add a "thus" to that last bullet i.e. "Exakt Design filters supplied by third parties can only be applied via Konfig and thus can only be used with SO1.". I'm also assuming based on your last bullet that Linn will have to add support for third party Exakt Design filters into the Linn account app if they do retire Konfig as the grapevine is indicating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, teuchter85 said:

Thanks Fred!. This is all really helpful. It's a pity that Linn are unable to document this kind of thing with any clarity. I would maybe add a "thus" to that last bullet i.e. "Exakt Design filters supplied by third parties can only be applied via Konfig and thus can only be used with SO1.". I'm also assuming based on your last bullet that Linn will have to add support for third party Exakt Design filters into the Linn account app if they do retire Konfig as the grapevine is indicating.

Hi teuchter85.

Yes, I am sure you are correct regarding migrating all DS/Exaktbox configuration to the Linn account app, we just don't know when this will happen. I am very keen to try SO2 with Exakt design filters, so the sooner the better. Also, it will be more consolidated and less likely to cause conflicts, which sometimes occur at present when using both applications together and interactively. Yet I hope it will remain possible (but not very likely) to edit old-style SO1 profiles as I use these on an ADS/3 for analogue output to a headphone amp using only custom filters, whilst connected to an Exaktbox using SO2 for the main system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 20:52, Pennypacker said:

After much consideration and reading on the various forum until my eyes bled, I bit the bullet and after some driving and hard labour the Keltiks are now wobbly in place where normally the M140 reside.

Eventhough I just slabbed them in position they sound pretty impressive. No treble harshness, quite a stable image and a full extended low end, really nice. This is all much to surprise since I red that they sound horrible even an inch off and bass is normaly untameable, probably something wrong with my hearing then 😋

The EABi seems to handle things just fine, im still impressed with this flexible box

To bad SO is down at the moment cause I’m under the impression that fine tuning these giants could turn things up a notch or two. Happy times.

I've been interested in reading your story of purchasing your Keltiks @Pennypacker. So much so that I've just done the same! I haven't got them in my possession yet, maybe later next week. A late model walnut pair from 2000 became available not too far away and I thought I'd give them a go. Of course I've still got a pair of Katans, Keilidh's and Ninka's too so it will be interesting to see what the Keltiks bring to the table. I still really need to chose which speakers to stick with in my main system for the long term and probably sell on the rest. My aim is to hear the 3K arrays at some stage, but like you know Akudoriks are scarce.

Have you performed any SO yet? If so, how has that worked out?

Like you, I have a ASH with AEB-I.

Mike.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/04/2021 at 01:17, teuchter85 said:

Thanks Fred!. This is all really helpful. It's a pity that Linn are unable to document this kind of thing with any clarity. I would maybe add a "thus" to that last bullet i.e. "Exakt Design filters supplied by third parties can only be applied via Konfig and thus can only be used with SO1.". I'm also assuming based on your last bullet that Linn will have to add support for third party Exakt Design filters into the Linn account app if they do retire Konfig as the grapevine is indicating.

As a slight diversion, the various “tools” are a bit of a hotch-potch. In addition to what you say above, as far as I can see, you can only register devices in your Linn Account via Kazoo, but not the Linn IOS app - and I’m still puzzled as to why we have that app at all, as forcing people into an IOS ecosystem is hardly very “open”.

And now, back to your regular topic…

’troll

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

I've been interested in reading your story of purchasing your Keltiks @Pennypacker. So much so that I've just done the same! I haven't got them in my possession yet, maybe later next week. A late model walnut pair from 2000 became available not too far away and I thought I'd give them a go. Of course I've still got a pair of Katans, Keilidh's and Ninka's too so it will be interesting to see what the Keltiks bring to the table. I still really need to chose which speakers to stick with in my main system for the long term and probably sell on the rest. My aim is to hear the 3K arrays at some stage, but like you know Akudoriks are scarce.

Have you performed any SO yet? If so, how has that worked out?

Like you, I have a ASH with AEB-I.

Mike.

Hi Mike, cool that you got yourself a pair of these behemoths. Mine are stil well in place and are their to stay for the foreseeing time, there job is also to absolutely dominate my living room visually.
 

I worked out SOv2, I think for 80% now, I still make small adjustments every know and then during my regular listening, nothing special but an cm to the left and maybe a cm or 2 to the right the other day 😃 

I really like the relaxed and completely integrated experience they offer whilst  still being forceful.

Last weekend I dug out a screwdriver, some wrenches and a bit of courage to tighten the drivers, they where quite loose. I did not do a proper before and after A/B dem but at least the audiophile worm in my head has calmed down now. The inner bass driver was a bitt tricky though, you need to keep the outer driver in place without damaging the lot.

5E52F1DD-9469-40EC-80F1-252471D5213B.thumb.jpeg.aad55ac2f8dd0a55e7da444c3bbc6eb2.jpeg

like you I’m also on the look out for a 3K model, however at the moment I’m quite satisfied.... for the moment yeah, we all know how these work 😆
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

Hi Mike, cool that you got yourself a pair of these behemoths. Mine are stil well in place and are their to stay for the foreseeing time, there job is also to absolutely dominate my living room visually.
 

I worked out SOv2, I think for 80% now, I still make small adjustments every know and then during my regular listening, nothing special but an cm to the left and maybe a cm or 2 to the right the other day 😃 

I really like the relaxed and completely integrated experience they offer whilst  still being forceful.

Last weekend I dug out a screwdriver, some wrenches and a bit of courage to tighten the drivers, they where quite loose. I did not do a proper before and after A/B dem but at least the audiophile worm in my head has calmed down now. The inner bass driver was a bitt tricky though, you need to keep the outer driver in place without damaging the lot.

5E52F1DD-9469-40EC-80F1-252471D5213B.thumb.jpeg.aad55ac2f8dd0a55e7da444c3bbc6eb2.jpeg

like you I’m also on the look out for a 3K model, however at the moment I’m quite satisfied.... for the moment yeah, we all know how these work 😆
 

Very interesting @Pennypacker. When I initially became interested in Linn in 1992/3, the Keltik was their flagship loudspeaker. Obviously I could never afford the price...around £8k new if my memory serves me. I do remember thinking that I'd love to hear them one day. I never have after all these years, not even in a Linn dealer showroom. That will finally happen next week when I get them home! Of course now I have the Keltik I don't really need the Exaktbox Sub or my Majik 126 subwoofer. However, I plan to keep both, for the time a pair of Akudoriks with their 3K arrays becomes available!

Mike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Very interesting @Pennypacker. When I initially became interested in Linn in 1992/3, the Keltik was their flagship loudspeaker. Obviously I could never afford the price...around £8k new if my memory serves me. I do remember thinking that I'd love to hear them one day. I never have after all these years, not even in a Linn dealer showroom. That will finally happen next week when I get them home! Of course now I have the Keltik I don't really need the Exaktbox Sub or my Majik 126 subwoofer. However, I plan to keep both, for the time a pair of Akudoriks with their 3K arrays becomes available!

Mike.

The comparison of 140 to Keltik is the equivalent of Keltik to keilidhs, not really a fair comparison....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Suffolkboy said:

The comparison of 140 to Keltik is the equivalent of Keltik to keilidhs, not really a fair comparison....

Meaning the Keltik is better then m140?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Suffolkboy said:

The comparison of 140 to Keltik is the equivalent of Keltik to keilidhs, not really a fair comparison....

I'm expecting the Keltik with its Isobarik bass to be far superior in that department. Can I expect it to be a better speaker in other areas too? I haven't heard the M140's but I know the Keilidh and Ninka well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm expecting the Keltik with its Isobarik bass to be far superior in that department. Can I expect it to be a better speaker in other areas too? I haven't heard the M140's but I know the Keilidh and Ninka well.

I diagnosed the keltiks in my mind. I like the bass of the ninka and an isobarik bass could only be better. The keltik uses the same mid as a kaber which are one of my favorite speakers. The tweeter if it’s the mesh tweeter is the same as the old keilidhs but if I found a pair of keltiks it’d replace the tweeters with the hiquophon ones (which I already have in storage) so besides the crossover I know most of the drivers in that speaker. I just need to find a mint walnut pair close to nyc :( if I like them enough I might even give my 242’s plus a very very small amount of cash in trade.


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, zee9 said:


I diagnosed the keltiks in my mind. I like the bass of the ninka and an isobarik bass could only be better. The keltik uses the same mid as a kaber which are one of my favorite speakers. The tweeter if it’s the mesh tweeter is the same as the old keilidhs but if I found a pair of keltiks it’d replace the tweeters with the hiquophon ones (which I already have in storage) so besides the crossover I know most of the drivers in that speaker. I just need to find a mint walnut pair close to nyc :( if I like them enough I might even give my 242’s plus a very very small amount of cash in trade.


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

I owned Keltik for years with solos and twins, I couldn't call the best when using 242mk1, they both had strengths, but I loved 242mk2 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Suffolkboy said:

I owned Keltik for years with solos and twins, I couldn't call the best when using 242mk1, they both had strengths, but I loved 242mk2 

242 are also something to admire, what’s holding me back is the general though that they need top notch amps and sources.

I consider my AEBi-ASH combo a great source but not top notch, but it’s probably up to the challenge. It doesn’t really matter though since the AEBi is  2 channels short, so changing to 242 means getting rid of the AEBi-ASH, which I’m reluctant to do since the combo for me really hits it in terms of sound per pound and the relative flexibility of one wants to stay aktiv/Exakt. 
 

I want to add to my ramblings that swapping kit like this seems crazy sometimes, but I consider this part of the “learning curve” I always wanted to try the Keltiks for instance and the EABi lets you do it on a whim. If the Keltiks did not work ik my room for whatever reason I’m not stuck with cards or KXO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

I want to add to my ramblings that swapping kit like this seems crazy sometimes, but I consider this part of the “learning curve” I always wanted to try the Keltiks for instance and the EABi lets you do it on a whim. If the Keltiks did not work ik my room for whatever reason I’m not stuck with cards or KXO. 

Exaktly! It's not crazy at all! Now our AEB-I allows us to try different legacy Linn loudspeakers without all the hassle of finding the correct cards and additional amplifiers. Plus, if they don't suit your room or tastes they can be sold on hopefully without much financial loss.

11 hours ago, zee9 said:

The tweeter if it’s the mesh tweeter is the same as the old keilidhs but if I found a pair of keltiks it’d replace the tweeters with the hiquophon ones

Zee, the late model Keltiks I'm collecting come with the 'Ninka' bull bar tweeters. The 038/2 I believe. In your opinion would the Hiquophon ones be a significant upgrade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Hiquophon “upgrade” is in need for some further digging. As from reading I’m under the impression that sometimes its a straight swap and sometimes not. Their sensitivity is different then the original tweeter used in the different Linn models and there is a need for attenuation which one easy can make with Aktiv cards. When using Exakt a different custom profile is needed, however the profile in question is only usable with Konfig in which case you cannot use SOv2.

Maybe someone can clarify on this topic, if for instance the OW’s are usable in one of the existing Exakt profile in SOv2 I’m happy to experiment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zee, the late model Keltiks I'm collecting come with the 'Ninka' bull bar tweeters. The 038/2 I believe. In your opinion would the Hiquophon ones be a significant upgrade?

To my ears the ow2’s-92 tweeters are just a tad bit better than the original d-20-lp-2 tweeters (early kabers mainly due to the age of the latter tweeter. I prefer both these tweeters to the 038/2 tweeters) but like I mentioned, “to my ears”


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...