6 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Zee, the late model Keltiks I'm collecting come with the 'Ninka' bull bar tweeters. The 038/2 I believe. In your opinion would the Hiquophon ones be a significant upgrade?

I'm not Zee, but I can provide another data point. I recently had a discussion about the Hiquophon vs. 38/2 with the dealer. He said they are comparable. That is, one wouldn't be an upgrade over the other.

• Like 1
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After some days now and SOv2 running 🙌🏼 I have the following remarks/observations/scribbles.    IMHO it’s definitely an upgrade, not just a side step or matter of taste. There is however a smal

Well, I've only had the Keltiks up and running for a couple of days but already I'm very impressed. I'm using the same ASH source and AEB-I amplification as @Pennypacker. However, I switched from Nink

I'm not surprised of the interest in Keltiks, but when compared with ninkas and Majik 140, it s what was linns top of the range speaker versus entry level.  I changed Keltik for 242 mk2 nd never reall

Posted Images

5 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I'm not Zee, but I can provide another data point. I recently had a discussion about the Hiquophon vs. 38/2 with the dealer. He said they are comparable. That is, one wouldn't be an upgrade over the other.

No, you're Michael! Thanks for that. In that case I see no real reason to start considering a tweeter change especially when the Hiquophon's aren't included in Linn's Exakt filters.

Mike.

• Upvote 1

If the OW-1 are comparable to 38/2 it might be easier for me to swap from 15/5 to OW-1, since there is an Exaktprofile for 38/2. I’m a bit put of by the protruding grill of the 38/2 through the cloth.

41 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

I’m a bit put of by the protruding grill of the 38/2 through the cloth.

To be honest I don't plan to use the stocking covers. I took them off my Keilidh's when I first got them. I've also taken the mesh grills off my Ninka's too! I prefer to go naked. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

I’m a bit put of by the protruding grill of the 38/2 through the cloth.

Is that from personal experience? Never even thought about any visual protrution on my pair.

Meaning that would be the last factor I would consider a reason for changing tweeters. 

Edited by 90sLinn
1 hour ago, 90sLinn said:

Is that from personal experience? Never even thought about any visual protrution on my pair.

Meaning that would be the last factor I would consider a reason for changing tweeters. 

I’ve seen it in photos, I like the the clean look of the speaker with the cloths as they are. So it’s not a reason for changing, more a reason to keep things as they are or get the cleaner solution, namely the OW’s.

Posted (edited)

Weird. Not sure if the pair you were looking at and my pair has different  cloth or if the light must be in a certain angle but had never thought about any protrution. And after reading here I had to feel where the tweeter bars were to know where to look.. 

Edited by 90sLinn
1 hour ago, 90sLinn said:

Weird. Not sure if the pair you were looking at and my pair has different  cloth or if the light must be in a certain angle but had never thought about any protrution. And after reading here I had to feel where the tweeter bars were to know where to look.. 

858E9F96-2D75-4C4A-8980-C749AB7AD79C.jpeg

On 10/05/2021 at 19:31, Pennypacker said:

Thats just how my old Keltiks looked! Thankfully I preferred them without the socks as that would have disturbed me on a daily basis!!!

Posted (edited)
On 10/05/2021 at 19:31, Pennypacker said:

Hi @Pennypacker, well I've finally got my Keltiks home! I'm going to set them up tomorrow. I was hoping you could give me some advice on how you connected your cables to your AEB-I? I see from the diagram attached that the sockets for the bass are the 2 to the left. Do you know which, bass 1 and bass 2, is for inner isobarik bass and which is for the outer bass? 

Also, on the rear of the speakers, which is the inner isobarik bass?

Thank you for any help!

Mike.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 21.27.09.png

Edited by SnapperMike
8 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Hi @Pennypacker, well I've finally got my Keltiks home! I'm going to set them up tomorrow. I was hoping you could give me some advice on how you connected your cables to your AEB-I? I see from the diagram attached that the sockets for the bass are the 2 to the left. Do you know which, bass 1 and bass 2, is for inner isobarik bass and which is for the outer bass? 

Also, on the rear of the speakers, which is the inner isobarik bass?

Thank you for any help!

Mike.

I made the connection by the same “logic” as with the M140. Bass 1 to at the first connector on the speaker. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

I made the connection by the same “logic” as with the M140. Bass 1 to at the first connector on the speaker. 

Many thanks. So Bass 1 on the AEB-I to the far left pair of inputs on the Keltiks?

Anyone else with experience of connecting a AEB-I to Keltiks able to confirm?

@teuchter85 @fredbatch @Suffolkboy@Fallguy @CJ1045

Cheers, Mike.

IMG_5519.JPG

Edited by SnapperMike
1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Many thanks. So Bass 1 on the AEB-I to the far left pair of inputs on the Keltiks?

Anyone else with experience of connecting a AEB-I to Keltiks able to confirm?

@teuchter85 @fredbatch @Suffolkboy@Fallguy @CJ1045

Cheers, Mike.

IMG_5519.JPG

Hi Mike,

That all looks good to me, just as @pennypacker describes. I’ve not actually used an AEB-I, but as long as you don’t connect exakt bass output (channels 4 and 8) to the tweeters you can’t really do any harm.

If you do ever change the Keltik drivers (mid or HF), I would say Hiquphon OW1 with standard mids is a marked advancement over 038/2 (and OW2 with SEAS M15CH002 mids a bigger advancement again, notwithstanding Exakt crossover solution/resolution).

When it comes on song, the tight, punchy, extended and underpinning effortless bass you will get in conjunction with S02 (especially with speakers close to front wall) is something of an eye-opener compared with most other speakers I have heard. Have fun.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, fredbatch said:

Hi Mike,

That all looks good to me, just as @pennypacker describes. I’ve not actually used an AEB-I, but as long as you don’t connect exakt bass output (channels 4 and 8) to the tweeters you can’t really do any harm.

If you do ever change the Keltik drivers (mid or HF), I would say Hiquphon OW1 with standard mids is a marked advancement over 038/2 (and OW2 with SEAS M15CH002 mids a bigger advancement again, notwithstanding Exakt crossover solution/resolution).

When it comes on song, the tight, punchy, extended and underpinning effortless bass you will get in conjunction with S02 (especially with speakers close to front wall) is something of an eye-opener compared with most other speakers I have heard. Have fun.

Excellent, thanks @fredbatch. So am I right in thinking the SEAS M15CH002 is a direct swap for the standard mid drivers on the Keltik? But performance is better? If so, is there an Exakt filter option for that SEAS model?