headphone amp Headphones and Akurate hub

I use the optical out on the Akurate hub with my Phonak Bluetooth transmitter which streams directly to my Phonak hearings-aids. I can balance the sound between the stream and the speakers in the room with the phone app. This is helpful as my hearing continues to deteriorate. At least I have QIQO (quality in quality out) from my system. I’ve ordered an optical splitter.  Once I’ve proved this works with the Phonak transmitter, I’d like to emulate the room/phonak set up with a set of my wired headphones. My next step then will be to link an optical cable to a headphone amp. Does this sound viable and any recommendations for a suitable headphone amp. I’d prefer one with a volume knob rather than a remote and at a proof of concept, rather premium, price at this point. All help welcomed. Thanks, Bob. 

Edited by Bob Chapman

I have an Oppo HA-1 that has an optical in, and that is how it is connected to the AEDSM. It has marvellous sound and is Bluetooth enabled.

Edited by Eldarboy

That’s an impressive bit of kit. A bit over overspeced and expensive for me needs. Thanks v much for pointing me to it. 

What's your budget for a headphone amplifier?

Edited by kelly200269

You would need a DAC in there between source and amp. I use SPDIF out from AEDSM to a Rega DAC, to a Rega EAR headphone amp. I'm sure lots of headphone amps include DACs these days.

Edited by akamatsu

Thanks. The optical splitter has arrived and worked fine, so that gives me the required additional optical out. I’ve been doing research during the day and the Project S2 Headbox -Digital has optical in and the price is pretty reasonable. 

• Like 2

Just looked at the Headbox Digital and it does indeed look an excellent piece of kit and my experience of ESS Sabre DACs in my old OPPO Blu-ray player was that they were spectacularly good. I would not look elsewhere, nice find!!

CJ

• Upvote 1

As you were. The splitter does not work as I intended. I can’t control the volume independently with the hearing-aid app. My mistake. What I need is a splitter that supports the following configuration 1: optical output from Akurate hub, to a suitable splitter, then outs to the inputs of the Bluetooth transmitter and a separate one to be sent to the headphone amp/dad. Can anyone help please? Many thanks, Bob. 

Don't use a splitter. Use the Optical from the System Hub to Bluetooth Transmitter. Use Coax from the COAX digital output of Hub to coax input of DAC.

CJ

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Chapman said:

so output 10?    image.png.f6d0b3ace782191a90470d93e9525a53.png

10 in an input. You want output 11.

1 minute ago, Bob Chapman said:

Sorry. Fat finger moment. Thanks for putting me straight. 

Fat finger? You are "Grandie Bob" afterall. :D