Spotify HiFi?

I don’t know if I can say this, but....even Spotify with low resolution sounds great on my DSM...

Qubuz sounds better with HD-files, but I’m curious how Spotify sounds with cd-quality!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/02/2021 at 17:56, SnapperMike said:

I still find it strange that these 3 streaming services are all European. Qobuz is French, Tidal Norwegian and Spotify is Swedish.

Nice, but still strange nonetheless!

I thought Tidal was american? Certainly is american owned now and has been for  awhile.

Just been trying out Spotify and have been disappointed with the sound quality, some recordings are ok but some are quite a bit worse IMO. I won't subscribing, Qobuz is still my No. 1 choice and then probably Deezer HiFi. Tidal would be next but is more £s.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brantome said:

Seems to be out in the wild, perhaps on test - I borrowed my nephew’s Spotify Premium login yesterday and it showed up as 1411kbps on my MDSM/4...

It seems to be a long-time error with Linn streamers

M.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

I thought Tidal was american? Certainly is american owned now and has been for  awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_(service)

Unfortunately now owned by that prick Jay Z. :(.

1 minute ago, SnapperMike said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_(service)

Unfortunately now owned by that prick Jay Z. :(.

Not anymore. Square who are based in San Francisco, Own a majority stake, Jay Z is a director.

13 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Not anymore. Square who are based in San Francisco, Own a majority stake, Jay Z is a director.

Anyway, I prefer Qobuz. I never got on with Tidal for some reason. I think it had something to do with the Jay Z connection. Who, I don't know if I said, but I think is a prick! :D

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Anyway, I prefer Qobuz. I never got on with Tidal for some reason. I think it had something to do with the Jay Z connection. Who, I don't know if I said, but I think is a prick! :D

So do I. Not keen of the type of music Tidal promotes or MQA.

Qobuz is more aligned with my tastes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StingRay said:

So do I. Not keen of the type of music Tidal promotes or MQA.

Qobuz is more aligned with my tastes.

Absolutely StingRay, Qobuz serves my desire for European jazz excellently! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I also noticed today that my Majik DS was displaying 16bit/44khz 1411kbps. So its an error with the Linn streamers? I also noted on my Yamaha Music Cast speakers it was showing the same on my app.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2021 at 09:53, mikizee said:

I also noticed today that my Majik DS was displaying 16bit/44khz 1411kbps. So its an error with the Linn streamers? I also noted on my Yamaha Music Cast speakers it was showing the same on my app.

Spotify supplies a software library to perform the decryption and decode of the stream received from their servers. This outputs 44.1kHz 16-bit PCM audio for the streamer to play back. Hence The Linn streamers (and most others) will report the above for Spotify streams. The actual encoded stream is of variable quality dependent on the subscription level, streamer settings etc. Linn streamers are set to always use the highest quality stream available, which Spotify call '320k mp3' quality, but is actually ogg-vorbis q9 as far as I am aware

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 17:20, Oscar P. said:

I don’t know if I can say this, but....even Spotify with low resolution sounds great on my DSM...

Qubuz sounds better with HD-files, but I’m curious how Spotify sounds with cd-quality!

Of course you can say it Oscar !! I've been enjoying Spotify for years. My system is no slouch (KDSM/2 Kat > SolosD > Komris) and yes, ripped CDs played from my NAS do sound a bit better, but it's not night and day, at least not to my ears (the only ones that matter). That said I obviously do look forward to higher res from Spotify. I find SQ MUCH more dependent on the original recording quality rather than the resolution. Just my 2p ;- )

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a warning about Spotify. I have the free one on my phone, but it won't connect to my AEDSM. The warning recycles a warning another user reported several years ago.

I had a buddy over a few weeks ago, and he was paying for his Spotify, so I got him on my network and he connected to my AEDSM and he played some music to it. 

A few days ago I messaged him if my AEDSM was still in his Spotify "end points". This morning he replied yes it was, and I noticed the DSM was on, with Spotify selected as source. I thanked him for not playing anything and cranking the volume early in the morning. He lives an hour train ride away. 

That Linn and Spotify have not fixed this horrific security hole, after at least a couple of years, is gross negligence and should be actionable!

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Upvote 1