The Marlin

News. Spotify HIfi Is coming to challenge Tidal. Could be brutal!

Super Wammer

If I'm honest I would stick with Spotify as it is really ok for the amount I use it usually which is with new music then if I like it I buy it.

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

This was mentioned in today's AVForums newsletter as well. No new information  in the article over and above the links already posted, but the comments are interesting. Apart from the one obvious troll on audio quality the comments seem to be pretty measured and level-headed:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/news-spotify-hifi-service-to-deliver-cd-quality-music-later-in-2021.2347303/

i much prefer spotify as they have such a wide catalogue and so much rare stuff on there you have never heard of , like this for example chuck girard 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Interesting....but the change back ?  I am happy streaming with Flac but a couple of years back switched to Deezer.  It has been v.good and has perhaps 90% of the Spotify catalogue.  Guess I will see what folks think reg. the sound quality first.  Getting too old to change.  What a bloody task that would be. :(

Super Wammer

I'd buy a HD spotify sub in a heartbeat if it covers their existing catalog!

this will be a big game changer imho.

yes please, next week not this year!

• Like 1

I've just subscribed to Deezer to try out their hifi offering, which is apparently limited to 44.1khz flac files, so CD quality: comparing it to Spotify's 320kbps ogg vorbis stuff I'm struggling to hear the difference.

If this is what we can expect from Spotty Hifi, then I'm not sure the price hike would be justified 🤔

Edited by Nifkin
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

It doesn't apply to all countries. Who knows, UK might not get it!

I get good results off Spotify, in fact my desktop set-up - with Spotify as the source is currently my sweetest.
I have not investigated HD streaming and would be blown away if there were more to come.
However, recently I was doing some A-B ing through headphones to QA some old kit for passing down to a relative. IMO the Cyrus CD-Player I was dusting off had a musical edge with some of my goto classic CDs compared to Spotify. So it would be cool if this could be replicated via streaming even if CDs are so 20th century.
I don't want to jeopardise my old T&C family deal though, which I have assiduously held onto.

I really liked the search facility on Spotify and the way it brought back loads of member generated playlists.

Tidal is pretty poor in comparison.

Maybe Spotify members more actively generate their own playlists?

I wonder if it will be actually at 1411kbs or up to 1411kbs as is Ogg Vorbis at up to 320kbs? To be honest on my meagre system there isn't that much difference between Spotify and my ripped CD's. In fact for the sake of convenience I usually just use Spotify even if I already have the music in my collection.

• Like 1

I'm going to be honest here. I'll be amazed if I can hear a difference. I'll probably give it a go, but I already got rid of a Cyrus CD player because I thought standard Spotify sounded just as good... I prefer the sound of records, but there's no way I would describe one as "better" than the other. They're just a little different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good news: Spotify's interface and catalogue is supreme, in my view. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, chris_bates1974 said:

but there's no way I would describe one as "better" than the other. They're just a little different.

I agree with that sentiment: once a decent level of quality is attained, so often differences are about variations in taste (X axis) more than one being better than another (y axis). Not saying there isn't a decent amount of the latter: just that it seems to be the only kind of comparison a lot of folks are willing or able to make. It's the y axis scale that marketers appeal to.

Edited by Nifkin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

I wonder if it will be actually at 1411kbs or up to 1411kbs as is Ogg Vorbis at up to 320kbs? To be honest on my meagre system there isn't that much difference between Spotify and my ripped CD's. In fact for the sake of convenience I usually just use Spotify even if I already have the music in my collection.

It says it will be lossless so the actual bit rate won't matter.

• Like 1

I’ll be happy if it just pushes the price of Tidal down in its top tier.  Overall, the standard, low res Spotify/Apple £10 price still feels a bit expensive when you look at what you get for that kind of money in video streaming from the likes of Netflix. £8 feels about right. 

I do see the attraction of Spotify. The recommendations are excellent, Spotify Connect is everywhere and it’s still much better than the Tidal version.  I do prefer the Tidal interface and the playlists though.  Tidal is much improved over the last few years.