Sign in to follow this  
Jules_S

Sennheiser potentially pulls out of domestic audio

Super Wammer

While I am still reading through today's AVForums newsletter I found this - 

https://www.avforums.com/news/sennheiser-consumer-audio-potentially-up-for-sale.18469

Such a shame, I guess it says something about the shrinking market for quality domestic (personal) audio and the relentless march of the mediocre-but-hyped brands to fill in a lot of the gap

Edited by Jules_S
Edited thread title

I very much doubt they will disappear.  Maybe under a new name but the product has so much market presence and goodwill, someone will buy it and keep it going.  

China.........   Anybody.........  China??????

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I would have thought headphones have never been more popular...most odd.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

I very much doubt they will disappear.  Maybe under a new name but the product has so much market presence and goodwill, someone will buy it and keep it going.  

China.........   Anybody.........  China??????

My cup of tea tastes better using china lol

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Nearly bewildered said:

I would have thought headphones have never been more popular...most odd.

I suspect you're right, however I also suspect that 90% of all headphones sold in the UK are cheap and nasty things, or at best, a brand that's marketed at the youth / hipster market. I wonder what percentage of the UK population have actually heard of Sennheiser? 20%? 25%? And of those who know the name, another percentage would probably dismiss them as "too expensive" or "not as good as <fill in brand of choice>"

The risk with an outright sale would be that the company who purchases it is only interested in the brand name and reputation, but then ruins it by selling lower quality models at the same prices, effectively trashing it. At least as a partnership I suppose Sennheiser will still have a say in how the brand is developed, and hopefully avoiding the worst outcome.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

I suspect you're right, however I also suspect that 90% of all headphones sold in the UK are cheap and nasty things, or at best, a brand that's marketed at the youth / hipster market. I wonder what percentage of the UK population have actually heard of Sennheiser? 20%? 25%? And of those who know the name, another percentage would probably dismiss them as "too expensive" or "not as good as <fill in brand of choice>"

The risk with an outright sale would be that the company who purchases it is only interested in the brand name and reputation, but then ruins it by selling lower quality models at the same prices, effectively trashing it. At least as a partnership I suppose Sennheiser will still have a say in how the brand is developed, and hopefully avoiding the worst outcome.

the young may start buying cheap headphones but I think at some point they will get wise..and get something decent? And sennheiser is a good choice..as they make very nice headphones which are within the reach of these young people who have realised it's not all bass and treble..

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Spelling