For those wanting a cheap streaming solution

bencat

While looking at some issues I have with an SSD attached to my Logitech Media Server I cam across a thread announcing this product on the Slim Server Forum (in 3rd Party Hardware) . Read a bit of it and this would seem to be a nice little ready built box that will act as your streamer if you use LMS and plug in to your analogue hifi via standard RCA sockets. It seems to be an LMS answer to Chromecast and while not quite as cheap as that unit for £55 with free shipping for pre orders still looks like quite a bargain for all those just wanting to dip their toes in streaming and not spend lots .

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/DAC32_Streamer_-_20_due_early_March/p317978_20929663.aspx

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113633-DAC32-low-cost-high-performance-music-streamer

Quite a versatile solution that potentially saves some of the effort (and perhaps fun) associated with Pi’s and HATs. A no brainier at that price as an introduction to streaming. LMS, AirPlay and 3rd party Roon compatibility make it worth owning for a wide range of potential uses.✔️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

Quite a versatile solution that potentially saves some of the effort (and perhaps fun) associated with Pi’s and HATs. A no brainier at that price as an introduction to streaming. LMS, AirPlay and 3rd party Roon compatibility make it worth owning for a wide range of potential uses.✔️

Totally agree and as in the outset it is being targeted and marketed as a goodwill gesture for LMS users it is not going to be that easy to spot. I do suspect that after about 3/4 months this will change and the price will likely increase . I also think that they will be developing this base unit and probably offering a Digital out only unit which may well also be of interest .

Henry while you and myself as you enjoy the effort and fun using a Pi I really do get that others feel out of their depth and intimidated by the process I freely admit that at the start of using one many years ago now I was a little daunted . Really good You Tube instruction videos and lots of help here eased those early fears and now as you say it is fun .