any dead heads among us?

hiesteem

On 09/04/2021 at 17:01, hiesteem said:

Thanks for the options. I will give all this some thought. Certainly I feel its worth considering another way of accessing the dead. I do purchase a lot of their stuff on cd which is nice to have and sounds great, but Its very easy to spend  a lot of money on Dead stuff. I just missed out on Winterland 73 box set this morning.

You would of laughed if you saw me frantically trying to get on line on my phone this morning after work as I forgot about the bidding deadline...... 

Discovered yesterday you can now stream archive.org There's a casting button just under the timeline and above the track list for each recording. All you then need is a Chromecast Audio or streaming dac. 

Saves me downloading/burning to CD or rigging a cable up from the iPad to amp.

Some of the audience recordings are of mixed quality. The soundboards and matrixes (soundboard mixed with audience recording) are as good as the CD's to my admittedly ageing hearing. The FM concerts, as mentioned prior, are usually very nice sounding too.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh, nearly missed this. So I'm not the only deadhead in the village. It's a rich seam if you get sucked in, not just musically but historically/ sociologically - doctorates have been done on this !

In the US of course they're part of the fabric of the last 50 odd years but a bit  different here in blighty where we got to experience them so rarely.

Where to start? Jumping into archive.org is total immersion and early stuff especially can head into weird terrain. The Europe '72 original album is very accessible with great performances - they recorded every gig on the tour so had plenty to choose from. ( now, of course, all available ! )

There are so many great nights on the May '77 tour, not just  the Cornell gig, must be their most consistent tour ever.

Or you could just start at the beginning - see you in 50 years.

( Just don't listen to Dylan and the Dead !! )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

:dead:Happy days. They seem to be re releasing dicks picks again. Well at least I keep seeing new cd's of dicks series on Amazon and ebay.  Oh well, I could stop eating for a while I guess:spam:

• 3 weeks later...

@hiesteem I moved this to Recorded Music as it's not a genre and it took me ages to find it .

• Like 1

Right , I'm running around in circles trying to decide my next live 'Dead album , anything newly remastered , packaged out there ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Right , I'm running around in circles trying to decide my next live 'Dead album , anything newly remastered , packaged out there ?

Seems very prolific with dead releases currently. Recently picked up, Cal State, May 5th and 6th 1990.

This is a 4 cd set, very good if you like the more recent stuff. I find it lighter to listen too if I  want a change from the heavier blues stuff of the early 70's.

The last new years show 1991, Oakland is similar, but a better recording than Cal State, although I prefer the Cal state gig as it has a broad selection of tracks to choose from.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pacific Northwest 73-74 is one of my favourites, 3 cd box set. Also available as 15 cd box set if you purchase from Dead.net.

Another very good one is, Ladies and gentlemen. Fillmore East April 1971, This is the best recorded Dead gig I have heard to date, on the Arista label. 

Been out a while but can be picked up quite reasonable as there are a lot about.

Edited by hiesteem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hiesteem said:

The last new years show 1991, Oakland is similar, but a better recording than Cal State,

Just ordered this .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Just ordered this .

Very well recorded this one. There are a lot of these radio recordings being released of Dead concerts which is a blessing, yet the recording quality can be variable, some good some not so.

Edited by hiesteem
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Long Strange Trip.

I spent yesterday evening watching on Amazon, Long Strange Trip, the series of the Dead's journey from the acid house test's to their incredible live performances and how they evolved as a band, including their lifestyle and familial beliefs and attitudes.

When you watch the film and understand how Primarily Gerry Garcia formed and evolved the band,  it becomes apparent that their musical talent and musical pedigree is unquestionable, at least as a rock band.

Phil Lesh being classically trained get's asked to play bass by Garcia, because he believes he can do it! Although Lesh has never played bass in his life before!

Consequently Lesh feels like he's been given the keys to the kingdom and expresses this in the film.

A casualty of the original line up was pigpen, who had no interest in Lsd. Alcohol was his drug of choice, which sadly got the better of him.

Donna Godchaux walks up to Garcia on stage and tells him, her husband, Keith, is going to be his next keyboard musician. Garcia, say's ok.

Keith Godchaux was also classically trained and Donna was a singer and gets asked to sing in the band.

I find the process of the bands evolution fascinating. It seems the use of lsd was an important factor in how they projected their social inclusivity into the music and interplayed with each other in their freeform style which became their trademark. 

Although inevitably, the use of drug takes it's toll and sadly for Garcia, evolves into the use of harder drugs and shows how the band have to stop touring for their own wellbeing.

Later the documentary shows how the "Dead heads", became their own social group and how taping concerts was encouraged and how the tapes became a very important form of musical media and currency.

It really is a fascinating documentation of what I would describe as a musical evolution and sociological experiment of their lifestyle.

There is a 6 Cd boxset of live broadcast's being released on 27th August. It's called The Legendary Broadcast's and is on the Leftfield media label, which from experience are some of the best recordings of live FM broadcasts I have purchased in the past.

Edited by hiesteem
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Dead of night!  So there I was last night in the bewitching hour, trawling the net for my next fix of the Dead, after sitting through, "Once we were soldiers," for the seventeenth time, and bingo!

Just couldn't resist a brand new version of Dicks pics 25.  This is a great period of slower, bluesy, country rock  from two complete concerts in 1978.

Kind of takes you on a musical meditation with everything being slowed down, allowing more space for Jerry Garcia's noodling. 

They do appear to be slowly releasing new copies of Dicks Pics, which whilst not cheap for Cd, they are a bargain compared to the prices being asked second hand which can go into the hundreds.

So another month of living on a diet of spam and beans, but at least I'll get to enjoy the show.  

Edited by hiesteem

Posted (edited)

Grateful dead, New Haven. CT. May 10 and Springfield. MA. May 11 1978.

Thought I would report back, having received a lovely stonking new Dicks picks 25. Two concerts, recorded live on original analogue 2-track tapes at 7.5 ips and 15 ips .

The remastering quality achieved here is phenomenal. It's only the occasional noise of the crowd that reminds you it's a live recording and not studio.

This is my first Dicks picks and whilst I have previously shied away, because I like to eat occasionally!, these new releases of Dicks Picks are in my opinion good value, given the incredible sound quality and more realistic prices.

My advice is buy from Amazon as they are cheapest with free postage and incredibly quick in delivery.

I ordered my copy midnight 2nd August and 36 hours later I am listening to it!

Edited by hiesteem

2 hours ago, hiesteem said:

My advice is buy from Amazon as they are cheapest with free postage and incredibly quick in delivery

err it's £118 :S

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Yes, pics 25 is, I just checked. I am not sure what is going on there. When I bought it yesterday, there was a note to say last one , more on the way.

So keep an eye on it Barry. My guess is, the price will vary depending on how many they have available.

There was a series of 36 Dicks pics originally released and what I am noticing each week is more of the series is becoming available new.

I'm not sure what period of the Dead you like, but this is a good time to try some dicks picks.

Some of these are pre order and it seems that when they first come out they are at their cheapest from Amazon.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2021 at 17:31, Bazzer said:

Hi Bazzer, just thought I'd give you a "Head's up", excuse the pun, Amazon uk are selling Dicks Picks 25 for £39 new. Couple of quid less than I paid, if interested. 

Very good recording. HDCD and a lighter type of Dead from 1978. 

It probably won't go any cheaper than this.

There is a guy selling it for £250 second hand!!  

• Like 1