• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Three weeks have passed and I really love my aktiv Kabers! Of course they are still a little bass shy. But speakers with the great sound of the Kabers and a bass that goes down to 30-40 Hz 

What exactly did you search for? ”converting Linn Kabers to aktiv” gives you this - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/524289/Linn-Loudspeakers.html#manual ‘troll

The 280 does not accept aktiv cards. The options are to try and find an external tunebox or follow the newer exakt digital crossover route. Kabers cards fit into klout and lk100s

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, HelloWorld said:

No AV Preamp in my system...even if it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better  ;)

I understand.  It’s, um, a bit ugly looking.    I still have my Kairn, sitting in a closet for some future project.  

Another free tweak is to use your best amp for the treble, next mids, then bass.  Each LK280 amp circuit board has a level (layout) and revision (components) number printed on it.  Like PCB020L3R3.  Simply put the newest amp (highest L number) on the tweeters. 

Speaking of ugly but effective, do you have K600 cables for the Kabers?

Edited by chickenlogic
Extra info.

But there is one more thing I think about.

I'd like to replace the LK280/Spark with LK140ies.

This would mean I'd get rid off three boxes and nine cables. 

And I don't think there would be a lot of difference...soundwise.

I know...Klouts! Too expensive.

1 hour ago, HelloWorld said:

I'd like to replace the LK280/Spark with LK140ies.

LK140s would use stereo Aktiv cards, not the mono cards.

A good sounding amp, better than LK140s, that uses mono cards would be the AV5105. I own three of them, and an LK140.

But be careful as the AV5105 has had reliability issues.

14 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

But be careful as the AV5105 has had reliability issues.

There was a recall on those many years ago so Linn should be able to advise if a particular 5105 has had the mod performed.

Mick

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, MickC said:

There was a recall on those many years ago so Linn should be able to advise if a particular 5105 has had the mod performed.

Mick

Yes. The main capacitors were recalled and replaced for free. The last AV5105 I bought has a sticker on the bottom indicating such. Even if this has been done, there are still reliability concerns. I had two of them completely recapped and the resulting sound quality was fantastic!

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, HelloWorld said:

I don't care about mono or stereo cards. They stay in the crossover "box" anyway

In that case, the LK140s are reported to be pretty much reliable.

Beware, the pad lock appears to be loose on the door leading to a very slippery slope!!  The buffers at the bottom of which are made out of a Klimax Kontrol and KCTs (or Solos if you have the space) with a Tunebox and the Kabers!!  

Personally I like the prospect of a Kairn and LK140s driving active Kabers and suspect that it will sound great! The 5125s take the same cards.

• Like 1