Hi
Bit of a random question but does anybody know the procedure for buying used in the UK and sending to the EU, namely Spain?
I think that I understand about the VAT etc but what paperwork that is required from the UK?
Sorry if this doesn't belong on this forum

If it's a private sale nothing just send it and make a declaration of value to the courier who should sort the rest.

If you want to know the exact amount the buyer will pay in total then that's a whole different question and not trivial! They will need to look to the duties and vat of their country and add courier admin fees of the courier being used.

Edited by Lawrence001

When you book the courier, the screen will take you through what is required. From memory...

Description of item

*Country of origin - where the majority of the parts in the item were made

*Commodity code

Value

Reason for export

*these fields are optional but it will help smooth passage through customs if you can complete them, and may avoid you paying duty on top of VAT and customs handling fees.

This is a link to where you can look up commodity codes . You need an overall description and then to narrow it down by the sub headings . This is not always obvious or easy so if you get stuck let me know what the item is and i will try and identify the item correctly for you . If I have problems myself (it is a few years since i did this) then I have contacts that are still doing this today and will get it for you .

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

The item you stick to the back of the package is a CN22, like this one.

CN22.png

If it is a small and light item then I would use the Royal Mail as the CN22 form is printed off with the address.

• 1 month later...

Sad side effect of Brexit is that it will now price virtually all used goods from the UK to the EU out of the marketplace.

All of the main couriers add a admin charge based on value usually a minimum of 20gbp and rising hugely as the price goes up and beyond reason a second handling fee for collecting the vat and duties from the buyer and paying them over.

Then its like knitting fog, every SOVEREIGN country in the EU, and they all are, just like the UK and always have been  has different rates for VAT, roughly between 19% and 25% that the buyer has to pay then depending on the item import duties may also be payable ranging from 5% to at its worst 29%

Bit of a nightmare to find any exact details so you can give your buyer an exact total price, i`ve spoken to HRM customs and excise twice and to be honest they were totally useless with simple questions and almost had heart failure when i asked them about sending to or buying from auctions.

Basically they said `the buyer pays` so don`t bother us anymore with questions , pathetic really.

Then you have the forms to fill in , and they are another nightmare especially if you try to send more than 1 item, and to find the appropriate commodity codes required a degree in code breaking.

Then to add to the fun a single error or even `whim` of some of the different excise people can see your goods on hold for long periods of time and to ice the cake if your goods are held they make an additional charge for it which can be sizable.

They will also hold your goods if they disagree with either the description or valuation and thats a whole lot of fun to sort out, especially if they suspect rightly or wrongly fraud. Selling a used 10k amp for 1k for instance gives a massive scope for them to decide somethings afoot.

For anyone who thinks i simply have a downer on Brexit, i previously had a small business that imported/exported from the EU, including the UK to the USA and i had so many issues over time and so many items taking weeks to move through the system in spite of it being profitable i gave up.  fundamentally you try to trade in a system where everything is outside of your control and customers really don`t like that. This is now the situation the UK is in with its relationship with the EU and for me importing/exporting UK/EU is now a very definite No Way.

Good luck and kindly give an update if you manage it

Edited by stevebrown

There are winners and losers in every major change in policy. I'm one of the winners as I wanted to bring all lawmaking powers back to the UK (except those delegated by the democratically elected government through trade deals etc going forwards, and implicitly by inheriting them and not leaving the deals/institutions in question) so it makes me happy. But I also understand there will be those that are negatively affected, people who do business with the EU being an obvious one. Hopefully in the long run adjustments can be made so that there are even more winners than now.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you are just doing a single sale or even buy from EU then you will be confused , not offered help and things can be difficult. If you do it on a regular basis then it makes sense to register and do it online . This you will find easier it pre declares your goods in the HRMC system before they ever move and pre declares them to the EU destination before they arrive. This will make things smoother and easier and your delays and clearance issues will pretty much go away . Vat and Duty is a very different matter and very up in the air currently . I have received a £2.36 used CD that the postman was asked to collect .03p on but which he just handed to me and said this is stupid . I also ordered some used CD's from the US as individual items and asked them to ensure each one was sent as an individual item and i paid the separate postage costs for each one. Being the usual switched on Americans that they almost always are they sent me confirmation they had my instructions and would follow those then sent all three in one package making the overall value around £28 and then over £38 with shipping costs to my surprise this was just delivered through the door as normal nothing asked for .

I get the distinct impression that everyo0ne including the shipping / courier industry and HRMC are a little confused and woolly on what is going on and some will get through no problems others will get charged. This will start to ease as time moves on and I hope and suspect that very soon a set limit for personal imports will be set hopefully at the £135 value limit up to which you will pay no VAT or Duty and clearance will be as it used to be . This would be sensible and work well and a big plus in buying small low value items . Sadly buying any equipment from EU is now something I would have to think about long and hard .