Can you please test the following ....

1 hour ago, Phobic said:

so now it's not even people creating accounts and stating how right you are on their very 1st post anymore, you're just writing it for them instead?

Yes. There is no reason to write something wrong as the whole thing does not cost any money.

1 hour ago, Phobic said:

you've still not answered Tony's questions from the 1st page.

Why should I? I don't care whether it is technically justifiable or not. It is even recommended by almost everyone who is somewhat experienced. It's very simple: out of 9 people, 7 hear a positive difference and 2 hear no difference, so it's up to everyone to try it or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Yes. There is no reason to write something wrong as the whole thing does not cost any money.

Why should I? I don't care whether it is technically justifiable or not. It is even recommended by almost everyone who is somewhat experienced. It's very simple: out of 9 people, 7 hear a positive difference and 2 hear no difference, so it's up to everyone to try it or not.

6 out of 9.

2 minutes ago, StingRay said:

6 out of 9.

I count seven.

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

I count seven.

You should check your results, you have a + for one that had no difference.

Also No. 7 is doubtful there is an improvement so should be removed. So that's 5 out of 8. 

Edited by StingRay

Super Wammer
On 03/03/2021 at 19:28, Billz said:

Just a word of warning for those swapping cables around on the Netgear switch. Back in 2018 my house was hit by lightening which came in through the phone line. It wiped out my router before going on to my Switch. My router was connect to port number 1. The lightening blew the next 4 adjacent ports which included my NAS, my DS, my Sky box and my TV. All where completely destroyed. The remaining 3 ports all survived and the equipment connected to them survived also. I now have my router connected to port 1 and my DSM connected to port 8 with remaining equipment going back to port 1 in order of most valuable to least. All this is just a precaution because we all know that lightening doesn’t strike twice, but I would rather have it this way just in case.

Bill.

I have an optical bridge between the DSL modem (is that the right term these days?) and my wifi router, in an attempt to prevent this happening.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Netgear GS108T before:

1 - Empty

2 - Spare cable attached (connected to the laptop on the odd occasion when I need to use the laptop for streaming an event of some sort, its HDMI port going into the AEDSM)

3 - Melco (and onwards to AEDSM)

4 - PS Audio P5

5 - Sony BDP

6 - Android TV

7 - Panasonic PVR

9 - LAN

After:

1 - LAN

2 - Spare cable attached

3 - Empty

4 - PS Audio P5

5 - Sony BDP

6 - Android TV

7 - Panasonic PVR

8 - Melco (and onwards to AEDSM)

Result - couldn't discern a difference.  Maybe the Melco matters in this context?

1 minute ago, sunbeamgls said:

Result - couldn't discern a difference.  Maybe the Melco matters in this context?

That could be good, but thanks for the test. Would it be too much to ask to test it without the Melco?

Super Wammer

Random thought about this experiment.

What if one of the cables running from one of the ports is moved closer to or further away from other mains or interconnects in the vicinity?  Perhaps there are too many variables.

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Johannes said:

That could be good, but thanks for the test. Would it be too much to ask to test it without the Melco?

Err, given where the connections are, this one was enough for now!

Super Wammer

I wonder how many of these switches that have been reported back have PoE on port 1?

Edited by sunbeamgls

30 minutes ago, StingRay said:

You should check your results, you have a + for one that had no difference.

Also No. 7 is doubtful there is an improvement so should be removed. So that's 5 out of 8. 

No. 4 has tested it again for me and thinks 1&8 is better. He already had it that way because it is recommended in a Bonn N8 manual.
I think No. 7 finds it better. But never mind, take it off. But the result is still clear.

10 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

I wonder how many of these switches that have been reported back have PoE on port 1?

We don't have any PoE, so I make sure that such switches are not used. I can't say that about the others,

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Johannes said:

Why wouldn't you? 

not caring about the facts or if isn't technically justifiable doesn't change things, you're trying to draw a conclusion about something which cannot be drawn. Different manufacturers, and different models in the same manufacturer, design and build their switches in different ways so that the "first" and "last" port take different paths in the circuitry.

Cisco switch A may route port 1 next to the PSU circuit, while Cisco switch B may route port 1 as far away from the PSU as possible. Your not even asking what model switch people are using, your results are meaningless, and worse than statistically insignificant.

You may as well roll a dice, ironically that would statistically give a better result.

If you really want to make this useful at least do things properly 

1. The question has to be - can you consistently hear a difference using 1 port versus another (because there's no correlation between 1st versus last port)
  2. capture the make and model
  3. do blind tests
  4. increase your sample size

I'd suggest you post something in the main forum to get input from more people.

You can add my results to the list

• Switch TP-LINK TL-SG108 
  • Tested blind
  • I can hear no difference in any port and I can hear no difference compared to the internal Linn test track with the switch disconnected
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Johannes said:

We don't have any PoE, so I make sure that such switches are not used. I can't say that about the others,

then how do you know it's not a factor?!

You steal my time because I look here when something is written. And your comments are just pointless to me.
Besides, you insinuate that people who have tried it can't hear. Just leave it and please don't make a fool of yourself.