Innuos 2.0 app now released!!!!!!!

Fourlegs

please can some cleverer than me explain how NAA works on a streamer?

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html HQPlayer recommends a couple of streamers that support HQPlayer via NAA

If I have streamer that supports HQ via, NAA, do I need to add a PC to do the actual rendering, or does the streamer do that? For example SOtM and StackAudio are both mentioned as being streamers that support HQ Player.

How does it work? 

I'm looking for a way to stream using HQ Player without the need to a) use a laptop or b) use Roon.

19 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

please can some cleverer than me explain how NAA works on a streamer?

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html HQPlayer recommends a couple of streamers that support HQPlayer via NAA

If I have streamer that supports HQ via, NAA, do I need to add a PC to do the actual rendering, or does the streamer do that? For example SOtM and StackAudio are both mentioned as being streamers that support HQ Player.

How does it work? 

I'm looking for a way to stream using HQ Player without the need to a) use a laptop or b) use Roon.

You might find this interesting:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/21682-differences-between-naa-and-renderer/

I seem to remember that NAA is supported by the Sonore MicroRendu, if you want to go that way?There are many others, as you probably know.

HQ player runs on Windows, Mac or Linux. Thus you need a device that will properly run HQ Player. If you don't want to use a PC/laptop, etc, then I think you're stuck. I'm not aware of any streamer that runs on board HQ Player (I could well be mistaken/incompletely informed here though) . Frankly, I wouldn't want one. The operating system plus all that processing along with a streamer in the same box? No thanks!

36 minutes ago, simon g said:

You might find this interesting:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/21682-differences-between-naa-and-renderer/

I seem to remember that NAA is supported by the Sonore MicroRendu, if you want to go that way?There are many others, as you probably know.

HQ player runs on Windows, Mac or Linux. Thus you need a device that will properly run HQ Player. If you don't want to use a PC/laptop, etc, then I think you're stuck. I'm not aware of any streamer that runs on board HQ Player (I could well be mistaken/incompletely informed here though) . Frankly, I wouldn't want one. The operating system plus all that processing along with a streamer in the same box? No thanks!

ok thanks I'll have a read.

I'm also going to spend time this weekend trying to set up my office PC as a Roon core and they attempt to use my Innous as a bridge and then install HQPlayer on a trial and see what that all sounds like.

Trying to link the innuos to Roon seems quite complicated and there are no guides that I can find!!!

10 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

ok thanks I'll have a read.

I'm also going to spend time this weekend trying to set up my office PC as a Roon core and they attempt to use my Innous as a bridge and then install HQPlayer on a trial and see what that all sounds like.

Trying to link the innuos to Roon seems quite complicated and there are no guides that I can find!!!

Page 22 here. It might be different with the new software but it'll be something similar

https://innuos.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/QSG_ZENmini_booklet_ENG_WEB.pdf

Choose 'use as a Roon player' rather than run Roon Core on the Zen.

Install Roon Core on a laptop/PC/Mac attached to your network (strongly recommend ethernet connection). Run Roon Core. Install Roon Remote on your iPad. Roon Remote should now 'see' your Zen as an end point and off you go (once you've told Roon where to look for your music and provide login details to Tidal, etc)! It really is much easier than it sounds. If you're going to be doing loads of processing with Roon then make sure your laptop/PC/whatever has sufficient processing power. As I've said upthread, if you decide to stay with Roon, then aim to run Core on a dedicated Roon Rock installation on a stand alone dedicated, always on, NUC. The latter configuration provided me with a much improved functionality (over running Core on an MBP with music on said same MBP) along with a noticeable uplift in SQ.

Bon chance!

Thanks!

I've installed everything and set Innuos to end point. In Roon / settings/ about / I can see the minizen bridge, but in settings / audio I see no sign in the bridge O.o

Any ideas?

16 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

The guy I spoke to from AE explained that they had definitely implemented some filters in the new software.

I didn't ask for that, and I am unhappy. I suggest they make these smoothing filters a toggle setting.

TBH I'm now considering a Lumin as a result. I've spent a lot of money getting my system to a nice place and then one firmware update and I feel like I've taken a step back. 

A cautionary tale; I’d been looking at innuos as a more elegant solution than running a Nuc PC. These streamer machines aren’t cheap, indeed some are ridiculously expensive, which is OK until one realises that we are subject to any changes in software the manufacturer might inflict on us. If that is affecting sound as well as user interface we are doubly vulnerable.

Talking of smoothing the sound, I used an Auralic streamer for a week here. The sound was very “refined” and smooth, but robbed the music of life. I’m sure many would like it and it could help in a harsh system but I hated it!

A while back I dipped my toe into streaming with Sonos. All went well until they changed the app which made it useless for classical music, where we need to see more metadata on the album screen - list view required as opposed to prettier looking icon view. Thankfully, their stuff wasn’t that expensive, but nonetheless I ended up with a useless, for me, box.

20 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

Thanks!

I've installed everything and set Innuos to end point. In Roon / settings/ about / I can see the minizen bridge, but in settings / audio I see no sign in the bridge O.o

Any ideas?

In settings/about you should see; Roon Remote (iPad etc), where the Core is running. Are you are you haven't inadvertently chosen to run Core on the Zen, rather than as a player.

In settings/audio you set up where you'd like to play the music to. It should show what's connected to your Core and I imagine the Zen shows as Roon Ready. You need to enable that with the toggle button.

I installed Roon core on my office PC, and then in the 2.0 Innuos settings for Roon, I selected "Roon Player only", not "Roon Core".

I believe that is all correct.

In Roon, on my PC, were Core is installed, if I go into Settings > About, I see

"Core" This PC (my office machine)

"Roon Bridge" my zenmini 

I don't see anything about "Roon Remote" ???

1 hour ago, simon g said:

My Antipdodes K50 streamer can run HQ Player on its Server board and can output to the HQ Player NAA on the K50 Player board. There are other streamers which can run HQ Player. 

4 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

My Antipdodes K50 streamer can run HQ Player on its Server board and can output to the HQ Player NAA on the K50 Player board. There are other streamers which can run HQ Player. 

Ah..interesting but it is £15K!

8 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

I installed Roon core on my office PC, and then in the 2.0 Innuos settings for Roon, I selected "Roon Player only", not "Roon Core".

I believe that is all correct.

In Roon, on my PC, were Core is installed, if I go into Settings > About, I see

"Core" This PC (my office machine)

"Roon Bridge" my zenmini 

I don't see anything about "Roon Remote" ???

Have you installed Roon Remote on your iPad or whatever? 

What's the connection past the Zen? USB? Digi? Analogue?

13 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

The whole point of HQPlayer is to select the filters that you like the most. You could even emulate the filters 2.0 uses. But it gives you choices and that to me is tailoring sound. 

Just on this again, HQ Player has various upsampling options and also has settings for various noise shaping options. Jussi might take issue with you saying that the whole point of HQP is to select the filters that ones likes best! 😜

Innuos 2.0 does not have any filters. 

6 minutes ago, simon g said:

Ah..interesting but it is £15K!

The lesser Antipodes can also run HQP. The advantage of the K50 is that it has a fast processor on one board complete with its own power supply and then a completely separate board and power supply to run the player software be it HQP NAA or some different player. So for instance when it is running Roon the Roon Core is on the fast processor board and Roon can then either output to the Roon Audio Device (endpoint as it used to be called) or other such as Squeezelite on the player board.

1 hour ago, simon g said:

Have you installed Roon Remote on your iPad or whatever? 

What's the connection past the Zen? USB? Digi? Analogue?

I have.

Just realised, I've not turned on my dac during this setup/install process, so that may well be the issue! I'll turn it on and then try again :) 

Got Roon working! Now to install HQPlayer trial, and set upsampling and give it a whirl.