Potential upgrade to Akubarik...

I'm happy with my current ASH, AEB-I and Ninka setup.

However, should I at some point decide to lean towards the Akubarik loudspeaker I just wondered what I’d need to upgrade to the Akubarik other than the speaker itself.

Not the Exakted type with in built amplification just the passive variety.

I know I’d need 10 channels of amps to run Akubariks and my AEB-I only provides 8.

Would I need to purchases another AEB-I or could I add an Akurate 2200 or a Majik 2100 power amp to my AEB-I to give me the other 2 channels needed? So, can I add a regular power amp somehow to the AEB-I and still operate as Exakt?

Thanks, Mike.

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had the Exakt Ninkas before with Exaktbox 10 and 4200 and 2200. They were great. Now I have got Katalyst Akudoriks with Exaktbox Sub and 226.  For me the Akudoriks are much better, but it depen

Hi Mike, ‘Spoiler alert, I own Katalyst Akubariks and passive Akudoriks driven by the Akurate Exaktbox I with Katalyst, so I have a bit of bias on this topic. The most cost effective way of

I went from Keilidhs to Kudos S20s with our Exakt Akurate stuff. Really pleased with the sonics and less physically overbearing than Linn speakers. You would not be using all the channels in your Exak

You know that even Gilad says that the Active Exact Acubaric is better than the Passive, no matter what you have in front of it. This is also my opinion from a technical point of view.

7 minutes ago, Johannes said:

You know that even Gilad says that the Active Exact Acubaric is better than the Passive, no matter what you have in front of it. This is also my opinion from a technical point of view.

But some people say that the passive variant sounds better using external amplification rather than the Exakt inbuilt amp variant. However, I'm not going to purchase the Akubarik with it's internal amps at £27,000 given what I already have. Would I need another AEB-I or could I add a power amp but still be Exakt compliant? I suspect not but I'm not sure.

Edited by SnapperMike

Hmmh I can't advise different power amplifiers. I would never do something like that for myself. But there is a 10-channel exact box. An acquaintance of mine has the passive with an exact box, I'll have to ask him.

2 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Hmmh I can't advise different power amplifiers. I would never do something like that for myself. But there is a 10-channel exact box. An acquaintance of mine has the passive with an exact box, I'll have to ask him.

Thanks Johannes. If I was starting from scratch and wanted Akubariks then the Exaktbox 10 would make most sense. However, as I already have 8 channels of Exakt amplification with the AEB-I I'm only needing 2 more channels of Exakt power. What's the best way of finding that?

One way of getting 10 Exakt channels would be to combine a Magic DSM/3 with the AEB-i. What I'm not at all sure about is whether you can mix the two sets of channels into one pair of speakers. Is your AEB-i Katalyst?  If  not then I have a strong suspicion that the amps/dacs in the AEB-i  are very similar(if not the same) as in the MDSM/3. I'm sure that someone will be along to correct this if I'm barking up the wrong tree as it  is really just an idea that I'm putting out there for evaluation.

Gosh Mike. What's wrong with what you have? Seems like a cracking system to me.

I don't know how much you listen to vinyl, but an LP12 would be fundamentally a new world.

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Thanks Johannes. If I was starting from scratch and wanted Akubariks then the Exaktbox 10 would make most sense. However, as I already have 8 channels of Exakt amplification with the AEB-I I'm only needing 2 more channels of Exakt power. What's the best way of finding that?

The idea was to trade in or sell the 8-channel. There would be some time to buy the 10-channel even before the Akubariks.

40 minutes ago, Dasher said:

One way of getting 10 Exakt channels would be to combine a Magic DSM/3 with the AEB-i. What I'm not at all sure about is whether you can mix the two sets of channels into one pair of speakers. Is your AEB-i Katalyst?  If  not then I have a strong suspicion that the amps/dacs in the AEB-i  are very similar(if not the same) as in the MDSM/3. I'm sure that someone will be along to correct this if I'm barking up the wrong tree as it  is really just an idea that I'm putting out there for evaluation.

Yes Dasher, my AEB-I is Katalyst equipped. Certainly if I purchased another AEB-I that would give me a total of 16 channels of Exakt. As I'm only needing 2 more, I wondered if there was an easy and cheaper way of achieving that.

Hmm... 10 channels of Akurate Amps (2x 4200 + 1x2200) and an Exaktbox  10 (total in excess of £21K) vs trying to use an existing AEB-i by adding a couple of channels - I know which one I would be trying to work out.

It almost makes the Exakt/amplified Akubariks appear to be a bargain!

I've not heard Exakt Ninkas with an Exakt Sub but I suspect that they  are pretty good. I've had my Espeks on the end of the EB-i  and, although it isn't how I currently use them (as they are in an analogue aktiv 5.2 system) they did work very well. I would also like to consider Akubariks one day but I am very happy with my current set up.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Gosh Mike. What's wrong with what you have? Seems like a cracking system to me.

I don't know how much you listen to vinyl, but an LP12 would be fundamentally a new world.

You're quite right Michael! I have no real need to think about upgrading from what I currently have as I'm delighted with it. I had just wondered that should I chose to go to Akubariks what would be the most cost effective way of me achieving that? From what I hear and read the Akubarik is the real sweet spot in the Linn loudspeaker catalogue and that seems to include the much more expensive Klimax range too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Yes Dasher, my AEB-I is Katalyst equipped. Certainly if I purchased another AEB-I that would give me a total of 16 channels of Exakt. As I'm only needing 2 more, I wondered if there was an easy and cheaper way of achieving that.

I guess that rules out the MDSM/3 then as there's no Katalyst option (I stand to be corrected if that isn't the case - having never owned one myself). Can two AEB-i' s be used to power one pair of speakers?  Not sure. If so then that is probably the cheapest option. Like you, I'm used to 'wasting' a couple of channels of Exaktbox-i capability.

If it's an itch that needs scratching, and if your room would take them, then Majik Isobariks only take up the one box of 8 channels. I quite like them, and would probably swap out my Keilidhs for them (sacrilege) but I have the wrong room for them! 

1 minute ago, Dasher said:

I guess that rules out the MDSM/3 then as there's no Katalyst option (I stand to be corrected if that isn't the case - having never owned one myself). Can two AEB-i' s be used to power one pair of speakers?  Not sure. If so then that is probably the cheapest option. Like you, I'm used to 'wasting' a couple of channels of Exaktbox-i capability.

If it's an itch that needs scratching, and if your room would take them, then Majik Isobariks only take up the one box of 8 channels. I quite like them, and would probably swap out my Keilidhs for them (sacrilege) but I have the wrong room for them! 

I assume that adding another AEB-I would work but I don't know for sure. I shall ask Linn. Have you listened to the Miso's? That's an interesting thought. I had also considered the Akudoriks which only require the one AEB-I. I already have an Exaktbox Sub and subwoofer if I felt they were bass light.

• Like 1

Yes, I've listened to the MISOs but not exakt.  In the room that I heard them in they worked well -  I assumed  that SO was in play but can't be certain. They are very lively to say the least -  I doubt that you'd need to keep the sub!

If your Ninkas are like my Espeks though  (and presentation wise I find that there is a similarity) and your sub interacts like my Sizmiks do (almost  imperceptible roll on-roll-off) then I think that they will take some beating without great expense! ( or a change of speaker brand).

With my Keilidhs in the second system  the EB-i has given them a new lease of life and they will be staying as the are for a long time!

One day, if I (when I'm forced to) go digital away from the Kisto (which is effect and analogue hub) then I may well go ASH/AEB-i (several) and run the Espeks/Ekwal/Katans that way with an EB Sub of some form. In no rush though! A lottery win and I'd go with Akubariks!!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

I have no real need to think about upgrading from what I currently have as I'm delighted with it. I had just wondered that should I chose to go to Akubariks what would be the most cost effective way of me achieving that? From what I hear and read the Akubarik is the real sweet spot in the Linn loudspeaker catalogue and that seems to include the much more expensive Klimax range too.

Hi Mike,

‘Spoiler alert, I own Katalyst Akubariks and passive Akudoriks driven by the Akurate Exaktbox I with Katalyst, so I have a bit of bias on this topic.

The most cost effective way of going to Akubariks is to buy some Exakt Akubariks. You can upgrade to Katalyst at a later date.

I have heard many fine examples of passive Akubariks and Aktiv/Exakt and Katalyst Akubariks, and believe the sweet spot is the the later self powered Akubariks. The extra cost of trying to power passive Akubariks to Katalyst with Akurate or bettter amplification is hard to justify the cost in sound quality compared to the amplification modules Akubariks IMHO.

The passive Akudoriks are a great bargain when powered by the Akurate Exaktbox I, compared to their costlier cousins with the Akudorik powered stands. Adding a subwoofer with your Exakt Subbox will take them to another level.  

• Like 3