Jump to content

Upgrading Lingo 1


Recommended Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my Lingo 1 to a Lingo 2 or 3.
Simple question. Will I need to change change the circuit board & switch on the main LP12?
Or is it just simply a matter of unplug the Lingo 1 and plug in the Lingo 2 or 3?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC the same connection kit was used from Lingo 1 through Lingo 2 into early Lingo 3. At some point the plug/socket became unavailable and it was changed on later Lingo 3. Don’t know the serial number at which this happened. Linn help desk would know.

’troll

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not really a circuit board that sits in the LP12 but a set of tracks that take the power to the switch.  'Troll is correct, the plug on the umbilical was changed at some point. Have you ever had the Lingo 1 recapped? I never found the difference between a newly recapped Lingo 1 and the L2 /L3 to be that great. If you want to match up all of the boxes then that is different...:). Yes, there is more use of surface mount technology in the later 2 and the 3 - I've just never heard a difference worth worrying about.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't see the point no bang for buck going up the numbers unless you go Lingo 4 or even better Radikal.

I went from Lingo 1 to Radikal. :whistle:

Going up the boxes just wastes savings for something better.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had my Lingo 1 recapped and was quite impressed with the improvement. Someone at the dealer compared mine to his Lingo 2. He said the 2 was better, but didn't say by how much. The next step was Radikal.

I agree with the comments here about recapping, if it hasn't been done. I really recommend saving up for a Radikal. I assume Karousel is in place.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PaulH said:

I'm looking to upgrade my Lingo 1 to a Lingo 2 or 3.
Simple question. Will I need to change change the circuit board & switch on the main LP12?
Or is it just simply a matter of unplug the Lingo 1 and plug in the Lingo 2 or 3?

I'm with the others here - go straight to the Lingo 4 or Radikal (out of my price range but I've heard one -whether it's worth 2x the price of the Lingo 4 is up to you) but make sure you do the Karousel upgrade.  That's an unbeatable tandem upgrade that seems in proportion to the rest of your system.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mskaye said:

go straight to the Lingo 4 or Radikal (out of my price range but I've heard one -whether it's worth 2x the price of the Lingo 4 is up to you) but make sure you do the Karousel upgrade.  That's an unbeatable tandem upgrade that seems in proportion to the rest of your system.  

One of the advantages of the Akurate Cased Radikal is that there is a healthy pre-owned market as people move up to the machined case. Radikal (A) Dynamiks can change hands for under £2K.  Class A in Sheffield will recap your Lingo 1 for under £100. I changed to a Karousel whilst I still had a Lingo 1 - probably the most noticeable change that I have made to my LP 12. The step from L1 to Radikal is also very noticeable but I would say that the L1>Karousel was more apparent. The Karousel requires some running in time - but not much. If I was looking at the net  expenditure of going L1 > L3 then I would certainly recap and put the difference to a Karousel. I'm assuming that you have a Cirkus sub-chassis (minimum) if not (although a shim is available - but to me that misses the point) you should also factor in at least a Cirkus sub-chassis.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dasher said:

One of the advantages of the Akurate Cased Radikal is that there is a healthy pre-owned market as people move up to the machined case. Radikal (A) Dynamiks can change hands for under £2K.  Class A in Sheffield will recap your Lingo 1 for under £100. I changed to a Karousel whilst I still had a Lingo 1 - probably the most noticeable change that I have made to my LP 12. The step from L1 to Radikal is also very noticeable but I would say that the L1>Karousel was more apparent. The Karousel requires some running in time - but not much. If I was looking at the net  expenditure of going L1 > L3 then I would certainly recap and put the difference to a Karousel. I'm assuming that you have a Cirkus sub-chassis (minimum) if not (although a shim is available - but to me that misses the point) you should also factor in at least a Cirkus sub-chassis.

Could you describe the effect the Karousel has please. I am tempted, but I am always a bit scared of upgrades, as a number of them in my life have made the sound tighter, leaner, cleaner,  probably more accurate, and more analytical. Often at the expense of enjoyment. I currently have a fairly old Cirkus. Any observations would be helpful.

Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I moved from a 20 yr old Cirkus to a Karousel.  The clear change that I hear is a lowering of the noise floor. This in turn probably leads to what you describe as cleaner. I would say that it separates things out better. It hasn't taken the enjoyment away. In fact I would say that to my ears the Radikal does a similar thing - it is more a lowering of the noise floor that then enables other things to come through. By contrast I would say that when I went to a Kore, and indeed the Ekos 2 from an Akito they sounded more like tightening things up. The problem with these adjectives is that I know what I'm using them to describe - and you have a vision of what the same words mean to you - but we might not necessarily be talking the same language! What I would say is that out of all the changes that I have made then moving to the Karousel (actually the lowest cost of all of them) was the one that made me sit up and think "wow"!

(My reference for 'analytical' is the Michell Orbe/ SME IV that I used to own - clinical, and actually fantastic - but it left me fatigued in a way that the LP12 never does. I find the LP12 so much better to live with). 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard a head to head comparison between Cirkus and Karousel on Klimax LP12s. Rather than describe the sound, I'd rather describe the experience, which was more access to the music, more enjoyable, more of everything across all frequencies. That's what I left the demo with, along with a Karousel on order.

It really is a no-brainer.

Edit: I just remembered; I had just had a new Cirkus installed to replace a worn out one. This was in January, 2020. I ordered the Karousel in March. It was that much better. The dealer ended up buying back the Cirkus, which I wasn't expecting at the time of ordering the Karousel.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more thing, Since July when I came home with LP12 newly equipped with Karousel and Kandid, and at Klimax level, I've missed but two evenings of serious music listening. Of course, being home all the time helps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/03/2021 at 13:50, Colinjg said:

Could you describe the effect the Karousel has please. I am tempted, but I am always a bit scared of upgrades, as a number of them in my life have made the sound tighter, leaner, cleaner,  probably more accurate, and more analytical. Often at the expense of enjoyment. I currently have a fairly old Cirkus. Any observations would be helpful.

Cheers.

It's the aural equivalent of cleaning your glasses.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a good deal on a Lingo 2.
The difference over the Lingo 1 is the noise floor is now a bit lower.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Guzziboy said:

It's the aural equivalent of cleaning your glasses.

Or going to the eye doctor and getting prescribed a new pair after about ten years of ocular neglect.

I recall describing it as a wholesale upgrade to the entire system.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 17:33, akamatsu said:

Edit: I just remembered; I had just had a new Cirkus installed to replace a worn out one. This was in January, 2020. I ordered the Karousel in March. It was that much better. The dealer ended up buying back the Cirkus, which I wasn't expecting at the time of ordering the Karousel.

That is indeed good dealership. I am surprised it is still possible to get a new Cirkus! 

Good to know the difference between Karousel and Cirkus is not due to age of the latter. I know the build of karousel is different in a lot of ways, but the final result might have been caused more by a renewal of the bearing than by a different build. 

Edit: oops... after I posted this I saw this was actually a thread about lingo 1... Sorry :)

Edited by dikki
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...