WANTED - ATC SCM50 ACTIVE

21 hours ago, jonboy_rs said:

Thanks for your help gents. I have secured a set of 50 active towers locally. 

My 40’s are now for sale. I will post an advert in the classified section shortly.

Thanks again 

Congratulations on finding the speakers you were looking for, did you manage to find a pair with the newer ATC tweeters, you will not be disappointed either way.

Have you decided on the preamp you intend to use with your new speakers, I tried mine with a BAT VK5i for a brief period but found it had too much gain, I managed to find a silver wound Music First Classic V2 which my better half immediately said made the sound smoother and clearer,

we all look forward to hearing your impressions once they have settled in.

• Like 1

@jonboy_rs congratulations, having demoed the Active 40's then the 50s i went with the Active 50 Towers. Excellent speakers with i felt a superior midband to the 40's and the extra bass means that the 50s are a little kinder to poor recordings. A sweet sounding preamp only improves things in my experience. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Ward said:

Congratulations on finding the speakers you were looking for, did you manage to find a pair with the newer ATC tweeters, you will not be disappointed either way.

Have you decided on the preamp you intend to use with your new speakers, I tried mine with a BAT VK5i for a brief period but found it had too much gain, I managed to find a silver wound Music First Classic V2 which my better half immediately said made the sound smoother and clearer,

we all look forward to hearing your impressions once they have settled in.

Thanks. I’m was just thinking about what preamp to upgrade to. I was considering a BAT, PASS or Mark Levinson but will be sure to check out your recommendation.

37 minutes ago, mtbmarkymark said:

@jonboy_rs congratulations, having demoed the Active 40's then the 50s i went with the Active 50 Towers. Excellent speakers with i felt a superior midband to the 40's and the extra bass means that the 50s are a little kinder to poor recordings. A sweet sounding preamp only improves things in my experience. 

Thanks. I really like the 40’s and I was all set on upgrading my power amplifier but then had a change of heart and thought why not put the money into some 50 actives. Like the idea of losing additional boxes as well. 

Congratulations,

very happy with my active  50s using a w4s STP SE stage 2 preamp, i tried a few before i settled on this, atc`s are very happy with passive preamps and an xlr output is in my view an absolute must.

Really my only regret with ATC actives is that i didn`t do it sooner

enjoy

• Like 1