New EU law requires technology to last for decade

2010*zuma

Them that make valve amps using PTP wiring or turret strip are probably OK. It's the people who use ICs with a short obsolescence, surface-mount PCBs etc who ought to be bricking it. 

It will be interesting to see how this pan out with time.   Nowt to do with hifi but it bugs the hell out of me that items could be kept going for many years easily if spare parts were priced reasonably.  Case in point in a dishwasher it has an impellar as the main moving part - when it fails the cost of a replacement is ?  you guessed it .. nearly the full price of a dishwasher.  So we throw it away and by another.  

Even worse fridges or freezers - the compressor goes and again the cost of a new one costs nearly as much as the fridge.

So many things could be made to last longer or be easily repaired but then that brings us back to the cost of the product sold.  Such actions would reduce sales and force up prices .. so from an environmental standpoint that is good (less waste less energy consumption in production etc) but I am no expert in economics as to what that would do to the high volume low production costs of the "throw away" stuff we have now.

The other interesting thing to observe is how they intend to ensure that their is provision where companies go bust .. how do you ensure the availability of parts.  

One to watch with interest I guess

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hope this applies to software support being available for 10 years as well ... one can only hope. Sometime the hardware is rendered obsolete because of the removal of an important software service.

Edited by t1no

32 minutes ago, t1no said:

Hope this applies to software support being available for 10 years as well ... one can only hope. Sometime the hardware is rendered obsolete because of the removal of an important software service.

In your dreams.

• Sad 1

Too many bad experiences I'm afraid. Over the years, through business I've paid thousands for various bits of software that support has suddenly stopped for. Companies go bust or sell to a rival, which then pulls the plug. It all went wrong when the model shifted from physical copies to downloads. Support stops, then the downloads are no longer available.

Now, it's got even worse with cloud software, whereby you can't even buy it. I remember the days when you used to buy things and own them. Now, you buy things and the seller still owns it effectively. Until they get bored, and then you don't own anything. Or worse, you basically pay every month to borrow it.

It's one reason I'm not enamoured with streaming. Pay every month to listen to your music collection, then if the supplier goes belly up in a year or two, you've got Jack.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rabski said:

Too many bad experiences I'm afraid. Over the years, through business I've paid thousands for various bits of software that support has suddenly stopped for. Companies go bust or sell to a rival, which then pulls the plug. It all went wrong when the model shifted from physical copies to downloads. Support stops, then the downloads are no longer available.

Now, it's got even worse with cloud software, whereby you can't even buy it. I remember the days when you used to buy things and own them. Now, you buy things and the seller still owns it effectively. Until they get bored, and then you don't own anything. Or worse, you basically pay every month to borrow it.

It's one reason I'm not enamoured with streaming. Pay every month to listen to your music collection, then if the supplier goes belly up in a year or two, you've got Jack.

Jack is ok..so maligned,  streaming is brilliant. So much new music! If qobuz goes ' under'  ill take screenshots of all my favourites so when I hook up with another streaming floozy? I'll be prepared..its the modern way , I'm afraid not owning anything..just borrowing for a fee..bit like life..we end up in the same place ( bickering about cables lol ) and the things we thought we thought owned are sold..to buy the new smartphone or given freely to an influencer?  But we are dead by then..and with the others wandering around empty shops with pockets full of money..in the meantime we can dance to Mick Jackson's ' Thriller'  and drink real ale without grimacing..lol

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

It will be interesting to see how this pan out with time.   Nowt to do with hifi but it bugs the hell out of me that items could be kept going for many years easily if spare parts were priced reasonably.  Case in point in a dishwasher it has an impellar as the main moving part - when it fails the cost of a replacement is ?  you guessed it .. nearly the full price of a dishwasher.  So we throw it away and by another.  

Even worse fridges or freezers - the compressor goes and again the cost of a new one costs nearly as much as the fridge.

So many things could be made to last longer or be easily repaired but then that brings us back to the cost of the product sold.  Such actions would reduce sales and force up prices .. so from an environmental standpoint that is good (less waste less energy consumption in production etc) but I am no expert in economics as to what that would do to the high volume low production costs of the "throw away" stuff we have now.

The other interesting thing to observe is how they intend to ensure that their is provision where companies go bust .. how do you ensure the availability of parts.  

One to watch with interest I guess

I have a clock, which was given to me by my old headmistress when I worked in a school..it was about 11 years or so ago..this clock obviously tells the time and has a temprature reading too..and it throws a image of the time on the ceiling if your too lazy to actually look at the clock!  Now here's the weird thing..the  batteries have never been changed! 11 years on the same batteries? Wow! I should say I never use the image throwing thingy or use the alarm..the  clock just sits there..but all the same..11 years and still going..blimey.

Online software and the like is just a massive and total con. There's a lot wrong with the 'pay to borrow something' model when it is applied to intangibles. Leasing, mortgaging or renting applies to physical items, where the lessor has custody of the item. Basically, with streaming and cloud software you're paying monthly to borrow something that has no physical existence, so you as a customer have zero security.

For streaming music it's neither here nor there. For commercially used software, it's another ballgame entirely. You could spend years building up a business that relies on software you're paying to borrow. There's no business plan on earth that would make that a sustainable model, but in some cases there's all but no choice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wish my phone battery would last as long as the Oxford electric bell

Oxford Electric Bell - Wikipedia

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

I wish my phone battery would last as long as the Oxford electric bell

Oxford Electric Bell - Wikipedia

What! Think of how this would affect consumerism! Who would pay for the adverts on telly ( and YouTube, I hate those walkers crisp adverts. ) if we didn't keep buying?  Your phone and battery are required to fail..if they didnt, then the great consumer driven thingy in which we live amongst, will fail! And a great plague will fall upon us..😳

15 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

Similar is true of printers. They are sold new at a loss, and the manufacturer gets it back in new ink cartridges

Same is true in all kinds of industries. My son works for a big company that makes tools for the construction industry. All the profit is in consumables - new buildings are stuffed full of parts and that's where the profit is - connectors, anchors, nail gun nails etc. Once you've sold the main tools that use the parts you have a repeat customer that orders in bulk. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

Them that make valve amps using PTP wiring or turret strip are probably OK. It's the people who use ICs with a short obsolescence, surface-mount PCBs etc who ought to be bricking it. 

.... and those of us who use valves can still replace one 1920s valve with another one!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pmcuk said:

.... and those of us who use valves can still replace one 1920s valve with another one!

Depends on the valve ? Some of the later ones are getting to be really hard to source now .

That's one area where current legislation has had an unexpected incidental benefit. Regulations about recycling and disposal effectively mostly prevent manufacturers from using NOS valves in properly certified equipment. Hence, more to go around :cool:

• Like 2

Cost of repairs and environmental impact, aside. Anything that tackles throw away culture is very welcome. It trickled down to other parts of life so that people don't even consider anymore that things can be fixed. Be it objects, relationships, or personality traits. 

• Like 1