Beatles in mono question.

The early Stones 7" mono singles were recorded on vintage equipment and are best played with a 1mm spherical stylus. (Cant remember where I read that but its plausible enough.) So the question is 'does the same apply to the Beatles mono singles of the same era'?

Or is a .7mm elliptical the way to go?

Jack NSM

I play old 60s Mono singles and albums on the current cart. Sounds fine to my ears.

In 2016 I purchased a new Ortofon Quintet mono cartridge which has a nude elliptical stylus the dimensions of which are given as r/R 8/18um, what ever that means. All I know is that mono records sound very good on it, far better than when using my stereo Ortofon Rohmann because the mono only has one set of coils and therefore does not reproduce the clicks and pops caused by side wall damage in the groove, even 60 year old singles that were played originally on old auto change record players.  

I purchased the Quintet mono primarily to enable me to hear my 2014 Beatles Remastered  Mono box set of LP's in the best possible quality and I must say that new mono pressings do sound excellent. I also have a collection of 60's mono LPs, some of which have never been available in stereo, and they are all very listenable again, some of them sounded  pretty horrid even after several attempts to clean them, you can't repair side wall damage. 

So my answer to Jack's question is that from experience,  I think it is far more important to have a proper mono cartridge for the reasons given above, than worry about the size of the stylus needed which, as Jack questions,  could be different for different records even assuming we can find out what those differences are.

I cleaned an old, scruffy, mono copy of the Hard Days Night album last week, on a Knosti record cleaner. When it was dry, I put it on and was smacked around the face by how brilliant and alive it sounded. I’m currently using an ATVM 95 ML, on an SME 3009 S2, on a TD 125. I’m sure a mono cart would be even better, but I just thought I’d add my ten pennorth!

• Like 1

.7mil is Suitable for Reissue Monaural LP and a Mono LP of after 1960.
1.0mil is Suitable for the Monaural LP of a deep groove of the first press of the 1950s.
However, both styli can trace the monaural LP of all generations without a problem.
When you listen to the monaural LP of all generations, we recommend 0.7mil.
When you listen to a monaural LP of the first press of the 1950s mainly, we recommend 1.0mil.

2.0MIL -  2.0 X 0.4 mil Elliptical diamond - worn LPs, some transcriptions.
2.5MIL  - 2.5 X 0.5 mil elliptical diamond - late unworn 78s
3.0MIL -  3.0 X 0.5 mil elliptical diamond - most 1905 to 1940's, slightly worn 78s & transcriptions, & some Edison discs.
3.5MIL    3.5 X 0.8 mil elliptical diamond - old or worn 78s, transcriptions. 
4.0MIL    4.0 X 1.0 mil elliptical diamond - Edison Diamond & very old/worn discs, raw aluminium, RCA home recordings., also Pathé vertical discs
8.0MIL     8.0 mil conical sapphire - RCA home recordings, and worn Pathé vertical discs.

Yeah Sadly  lots of the Beatles earlier Stereo stuff was just an afterthought and early mono mixes far more fun

Edited by Huntergatherer
spelling
  • Like 1