BBC Sounds app for streamers?

on the rocks

20 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

I'll have a listen to that Giles Peterson show..

It's been a favourite of mine for years. I can recommend.

If you can listen to it after 22/03.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, on the rocks said:

I haven't heard it yet because I don't have a streamer, but this will influence my decision whether to buy one or not.  It would be interesting to knoe what Linn have to say on this?

They usually have an input, though in terms of user numbers they must be a drop in the BBC’s ocean.  Arguably that’s advantageous as it’d make next to no difference   As it happens, with my Linn DS I can stream BBC Sounds from my iPad via Airplay, though I’m not sure it’s exactly the same data rate.  

I wrote to the Beeb previously regarding the earlier threat to drop their service provision on TuneIn. I pointed out that I’d simply switch back to FM where I’d been enjoying the radio for decades - completely untraceable.  Similarly, in the car we use DAB, and no registration required there either.  

PS. It looks like this when using Sounds...

4F4605DF-35B8-468C-86A4-65382F55D1BC.jpeg.863a1cda26cc6722cf8b9ff6640dea57.jpeg

Edited by Nopiano

22 minutes ago, StingRay said:

can’t you just copy over the URL for each radio station on the streamer, or is that ending soon?

I've done that with Roon. I'll be p***** off if it changes.

I’ve emailed the BBC to ask if the HLS and DASH-MPEG streams are affected. I’ve not heard any warnings that these are closing.

1 hour ago, on the rocks said:

Gosh, I'm rather taken aback at all the anti BBC feelings, but I'm not sure what TV has to do with anything. 

If anyone's interested in getting back on topic; my main interest is music on BBC R3 and BBC R6. I sometimes indulge in R4; I don't agree with everything they say but I enjoy listening to radio rather the being in an echo chamber.  I'm fortunate in getting quite good R3 on my FM tuner and I like the combination of familiar and unfamiliar classical (and other) music, Classic FM is so compressed to be a waste of FM bandwidth.  R6 is limited to DAB and hence quite poor, which is a shame as they sometimes have soe very interesting music not so familiar to me.

One of the attractions of pottentially getting a streamer was improved R3 sound and greatly improved R6 sound.  Any HiFi streamer manufacturer that integrates BBC Sounds; as well as offering all the other good quality streaming radio music may well get my custom.

I have copied the url over from here: https://garfnet.org.uk/cms/tables/radio-frequencies/internet-radio-player/

Put it in my favourites and it is playing now. Sounds ok but I think it’s only mp3. There are some cd quality internet stations which maybe worth checking out.

Is BBC Sounds an issue?

Blimey, I'm also out of synch here. I love the Beeb, well 10 percent of it anyway ! You just need to skim the cream I feel.

• Upvote 1

I've downloaded BBC Sounds and so far think it's a very good package. Hopefully we won't lose access to it here in Ireland come march the 21st.

2 hours ago, on the rocks said:

R6 is limited to DAB and hence quite poor, which is a shame as they sometimes have soe very interesting music not so familiar to me.

Just in case you aren't aware, you can get 6 Music via Freeview and Freesat, which is at higher quality than DAB but lower than streaming:

http://www.astra2sat.com/radio/uk-digital-radio-bitrates/

I haven't used it much recently but in the past I've used digital outputs from PVRs for radio a fair bit.

On the 'I don't like BBC radio' front personally I'm a fan. If BBC TV disappeared I'd miss their news output but nothing else in particular. If BBC radio went I'd feel it was a huge loss.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 2

Ive tried streaming BBC radio from the optical output on my smart TV via a Cambridge DacMagic, however the bit rate on the optical output was very low (despite a high speed ethernet input to the TV).  DAB through my upsampling tuner sounds a lot better

not quite what you might be looking for but there are solutions which use Airplay if you have a mac, or on Linn there is songcast.

this will allow you to play BBC sounds on a PC/MAC through your streamer.

I'd guess there might be other options out there as well - maybe chromecast based using a HDMI dongle, it would need some research

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Songcast

I think it sucks a bit that's BBC appear to be supporting Sonos, Alexa and Google smart speaker devices beyond 22 March, but not anyone else at the moment, without some kind of workaround: I appreciate, for many here, that any excuse to add another box to their system to enable this is always to be welcomed 😉, but for characters like me, who run a minimal, stealth set up, it's a bit of a faff.

Swines 🐖

I got this link, courtesy of a member on another forum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/481e7233-0aea-4b15-8ace-878ce549108c

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Man in a van said:

I got this link, courtesy of a member on another forum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/481e7233-0aea-4b15-8ace-878ce549108c

They say "The old URLs will then stop working completely by 31st March 2021."

But where are the new URLs?

Edited by StingRay