Small speaker recommendations

gingembre

Any recommendations to improve on a pair of Ruark Sabre 3’s are welcome. 2nd hand ideally.

Edited by gingembre
Duplicate post

6 minutes ago, gingembre said:

I’ve got a pair of Ruark Sabre 3 standmounts. Very nice they sound too. Rather than leaving well alone I am increasingly being drawn to perusing other small speakers in the belief that nirvana is just one upgrade away. The last time I looked (albeit some time ago) a pair of Harbeth P3esr’s were £1200. They are now £1995 & £2595 if you plump for the ‘XD’ version. The new Spendor classic 4/5’s are £1600. Whilst I’m sure both are extremely good, I doubt that they are ‘that’ good, although expectations are likely dependent on your disposable income. Have things really improved so much in this area or are manufacturers just cashing in? And yes, I have heard of this thing called ‘inflation’, however,  prices seem to have well outstripped what I would call sensible. The market seems to be currently awash with small standmounts that cost a fortune, or am I wrong?

Oh, and if anybody can suggest a sensible upgrade over my ruarks I would be delighted to respond.

The Sabre's are excellent speakers and in my opinion Ruark made the highest quality cabinets using top quality drive units , that its going to cost a lot of money to come near their pound for sound price.

I have had the Equinox since the 90's and don't feel drawn to much that's currently  on the market. I think where speakers are concerned they do change the presentation of the sound which can be fun and perhaps why some people have multiple sets of speakers. 

I think Harbeths are too expensive now, yes prices have gone up considerably.

Kef LS50s new versions (Meta) out now are excellent value, think the lowest price version are around £1,000, worth considering. Kef LS50s were £800 for years. 

They also do an active wireless version. If you do a search there are some posts about them on here.

What sort of budget do you have? 

Not heard them yet but I would try Revel Concerta2 MI6, get good reviews.

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 1

I am very pleased with my PMC Twenty5 22s, a vast improvement on my previous Monitor Audio GS10 speakers and wonderful tuneful bass for a stand mount.  The PMCs have recently been superseded with a big price hike.  I'm not sure of your budget but there is at least one good used offer on ebay

PMC TWENTY5.22 SPEAKERS, AMARONE, EXCELLENT CONDITION, BOXED, AUTHORISED DEALER! | eBay

1 hour ago, gingembre said:

Any recommendations to improve on a pair of Ruark Sabre 3’s are welcome. 2nd hand ideally.

There is a very nice pair of ProAc Tablette 10s in the classifieds ?  :whistle:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gingembre said:

grab the proac 10 

Edited by hifinutt

Neat Ministra are good and small speakers, lots of bass and work close to wall, I demoed them and was very tempted ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

As well as budget - What size is the room and how close are they to the wall behind and to the side of them?

........ and what sort of music do you listen to ?

• Like 1