Chord MScaler video review

tuga

Someone posted this on PFM.

I wish he wasn't wearing the camera, it makes me sick, but he does explain the mechanics reasonably well.

I have heard the blu MK2 M-scaler with DAVE and it made a substantial difference so I would not be surprised if the Hugo M-scaler has a similar effect?

16 hours ago, tuga said:

Someone posted this on PFM.

I wish he wasn't wearing the camera, it makes me sick, but he does explain the mechanics reasonably well.

Thanks for posting that. I was sort of with him right up to the point where he said that HQP sinc M sounds identical to the Mscaler. I am sorry but having listened extensively now to HQP there is no way that HQP sinc M sounds the same as the Mscaler (I am not talking about worse or better, just whether it sounds the same or not). To sound the same it would need to use the same algorithm and it doesn’t. 

Apart from that it was worth watching.👍

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Thanks for posting that. I was sort of with him right up to the point where he said that HQP sinc M sounds identical to the Mscaler. I am sorry but having listened extensively now to HQP there is no way that HQP sinc M sounds the same as the Mscaler (I am not talking about worse or better, just whether it sounds the same or not). To sound the same it would need to use the same algorithm and it doesn’t. 

Did you listen to HQP upconverting to DSD into a NOS DAC?

PS: BTW, I think he said that HQP sounds better than the MScaler B|

Edited by tuga

2 minutes ago, tuga said:

PS: BTW, I think he said that HQP sounds better than the MScaler

yes he did and that is where his credibility flew out of the window. xD

3 minutes ago, tuga said:

Did you listen to HQP upconverting to DSD into a NOS DAC

Of course not, don't be absurd! :oj:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

yes he did and that is where his credibility flew out of the window. xD

Of course not, don't be absurd! :oj:

Which ones?

Did you compare HQP vs MScaler into those DACs? If not, your comparison is moot...

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I tracked him down on Headfi and he actually clarifies/corrects that in a long post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/an-exploration-of-chord-dave-mscaler-qutest-and-holo-may-hqplayer.952934/

I think basically he thinks the M-Scalar makes a lot of sense if you have a Dave, for non Chord DACs (or even the Qutest), not so much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heckyman said:

I tracked him down on Headfi and he actually clarifies/corrects that in a long post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/an-exploration-of-chord-dave-mscaler-qutest-and-holo-may-hqplayer.952934/

I think basically he thinks the M-Scalar makes a lot of sense if you have a Dave, for non Chord DACs (or even the Qutest), not so much. 

Ah, thanks for that link. I completely missed seeing it on Head-fi. 

I am still highly sceptical of much of what he says. For instance I have owned the Bricasti M1SE and do not share his comments regarding a comparison between that and a Dave without an MScaler. 

I wonder if the discrepancy between what he hears and what I hear is that he appears to listen exclusively through headphones where I exclusively listen through speakers. People often say that a speaker system is more revealing of DACs. Indeed I have now persevered and read more of the head-fi thread and see one poster said, “Problem is the headphone listening. Headphones due to placement of driver direct towards ears can't portray the imaging correctly except for binaural recordings. Better depth perception in headphones is apparent in the form of less soundstage width which fools you into thinking that some dacs have constrained presentation. But you try those dacs in speaker set up and you instantly know the more accurate placement of instruments in the soundstage. A source with better depth perception in headphones is Iike you have instruments studded on a dome around you but a dac with less depth perception can portray the image "flat" giving the impression of more soundstage width. For appreciating the difference of better imaging through a better source in case of headphones requires longer listening.”

Also, the reviewer mentions that he possibly slightly prefers the MScaler on pass through compared to solo Dave where I definitely hear solo Dave being superior to MScaler on pass through (I hear a slight upper frequency emphasis or hardness on pass through). I wonder if he has interpreted that difference as being extra ‘space’ or ‘clarity’ and somehow mistaken that as being ‘better’.

Then there is the fact that he uses Roon when doing his critical listening. 

All in all that all adds to my sceptical view of the review.

• Like 1