Linn Marketing

3 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Come to think of it, I bought the cirkus without hearing it. 🙂

If I recall correctly, the only bit(s) of my system that I auditioned extensively against competing products before purchasing were my speakers. That may not be strictly correct as, having been convinced (by multiple magazine articles and reviews) that the LP12 was the turntable to "have" I did have a listen against my incumbent Rega Planar 3 to confirm.

Every subsequent purchase / upgrade has been on the basis of trusting either reviews or, intrinsically, the Linn hierarchy. And. most importantly, the size of my budget at any given time, plus (latterly) taking into account forum members' and dealers' viewpoints and then making up my own mind.

Could I have done better? Maybe. However, close to 35 years of musical enjoyment later, I'm very much of the view of "enjoy what you have, you'll never miss what you've never had".

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Wow! What an amazing reply!  An interesting list of possible influences that somehow omits actually hearing the product at a dealer.  Considering Linn's motto is "Just Listen" that would seem to be a rather large oversight.  Anyone want to place any bets on what really is the most important influence? :minikev:

Surely dealers should be a major influence.  😀 

At least for those lucky enough still having a good dealer closer than an 8-9 hour drive each way, making every dealer visit a two day project thus very rarely happening. 
So (for me), the just listen is normally not made at a dealer but at friends or more often at their friends.
So the omission probably more reflected my reality in addition to the fact that I am lower down the food chain, very rarely buying new Linn gear, certainly not new at Klimax level (apart from Renews) making those dealer visits even harder to motivate. Still their demos have resulted in occasional used gear purchases from them much later.

Distance to dealers nowadays makes e.g. forums a much bigger influence for creating that necessary interest to even consider spending a two day drive (or in my case more likely (pre-covid) asking friends knowing someone who happen to own the product for a listen.)

(Kind of a vicious circle if you ask me where increasing cost of demo products and necessary sales volumes  reduce the no of dealers outside larger cities).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Newton John said:

You're right to disregard the gossip. I have had two companies - one before the advent of social media and one after. In both cases, it didn't matter how straight forward I was in communicating with employees and the public, people still looked for hidden agendas and made up laughable stuff about our motives. 

It appears to me, that fiction is more exciting, than facts to most people. Just makes me think about cave paintings in a new light. Do they show facts, or fiction? 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

It appears to me, that fiction is more exciting, than facts to most people. Just makes me think about cave paintings in a new light. Do they show facts, or fiction? 😜

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story 

• Like 1

They used to say in the computing industry that nobody was ever sacked for buying IBM (whatever happened to IBM - never hear of them these days). I would say nobody who loves music is ever disappointed by buying Linn. This forum is independent from Linn and enables us to exchange views, I think that is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

At the very least, you moderate their posts

Ultimately, they did, albeit in an extreme fashion, but, apparently, without offending anyone and moving the problem to WAM, where we try to self moderate.

The Naim Forum is probably a good example of a heavily moderated forum,  where offending posts appear to be, simply, deleted without debate.

’troll

• Upvote 1

Deleted

Edited by Moomintroll
Duplicated post

Edited by Moomintroll
Duplicated duplicate post

34 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Good to see that you moderate yourself 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Good to see that you moderate yourself 😜

Oh, the stories I could tell… 😇

‘troll

• Haha 1

Problem: Misinformation on the Linn forum.

Solutions: Moderate, Distance

Linn chose distance.

• Upvote 1

I think the problem was that

- 87% of the posts  were related to tweaks for the  Linn systems (which could be understand as „Linn without tweaks isn‘t good“).

- 11% of the posts were related to upgrade questions (which could be understand as „I‘m not satisfied with my existing Linn system).

- only 2% were information regarding using the existing system (without any tweaks)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

- 87% of the posts  were related to tweaks for the  Linn systems (which could be understand as „Linn without tweaks isn‘t good“).

- 11% of the posts were related to upgrade questions (which could be understand as „I‘m not satisfied with my existing Linn system).

- only 2% were information regarding using the existing system (without any tweaks)

The real problem, and this is an important distinction, is that all this was happening on Linn's very own website. It's not a problem to Linn if the misinformation is elsewhere on the web.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Some of the posts recommend setting up Linn kit incorrectly, that is, against Linn's recommendations. Now Linn can say "Don't listen to what you read on the forums. For correct information, go to Linn's website."

3 hours ago, Ben Webster said:

Interesting, but how did you arrive at those numbers?

I recall differently, that there were posts mostly of people asking for help and general discussions about HiFi and music.

‘The most popular posts on the Linn Forum, by far, were in the Show Us Your Linn System, and the What Are You Listening To thread. These two threads garnered well over one million posts and views on each of those threads..

With the tremendous pool of expertise of Linn engineers and knowledgeable Forum members, issues that people were having with their networks, streaming, LP12 setup, and Space Optimisation dominated the discussions. There were countless posts on what steps to take next from their next upgrade and what piece of Linn people should buy

‘I would say at most, less than 10% of posts on the Linn forum were about tweaks. Many people were interested in threads about tweaking, because they wanted to get more out of their Linn system and looking for steps they could take, without spending big money on speaker or electronics upgrades