Jump to content

We thought we knew streaming


Recommended Posts

So we are looking at a new DAC technology that will be introduced at Klimax level. This new technology can also be applied to the recording side. Music recorded and played back using Organik will sound much more organic?

At some point Organik will be made available at Akurate level, I hope.

So, Klimax DSM , Klimax Exaktboxes, and Klimax 350s with Organik.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it depends if they are like Katalyst and can be retro fitted or it is the start of new models. Doesn’t sound cheap though. From PFM there is a bit of detail in Stereophile and pricing circa £30K. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Music At Home said:

Hopefully, a big improvement rendering organ music like Deep Purple, or The Doors?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Hopefully, a big improvement rendering organ music like Deep Purple, or The Doors?

I guess it‘s more Bach-like 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

From PFM there is a bit of detail in Stereophile and pricing circa £30K. 

So, top-end. That would seem to fit with their references to the LP12 and KDS in their initial ‘teaser’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/03/2021 at 17:28, akamatsu said:

Of course we all know intellectually, that DS will surpass vinyl in sound quality someday.

Is that day March 26, 2021?

You could actually be correct...

’troll

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perfect timing! This announcement will freeze some budgets, momentarily. I for one was thinking about a Keel for my LP12, or a Klimax Exaktbox to replace my Akurate Exaktbox. But with a huge order backlog to fulfill, Linn won't be hurt that much. And a replacement for the AKM chips might be needed anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I for one, don't believe it possible given current encoding techniques to better vinyl. And purist engineers will object to me saying so.

I think the issue is dithering. The lossyness of encoding that shows why dither is required, shows that it's just an approximation of the analog equivalent at the end of the day. An approximation by bastardising samples so that statistically things pan out and we supposedly don't hear the anomalies (at least not at a conscious level). But, vinyl doesn't suffer this issue to begin with, so rather than the approximations, it is exacting.

Of course there are other issues with background noise, wow and flutter etc with vinyl, but they are not really objectionable on a good TT setup.

Edited by Metatron
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Metatron said:

I for one, don't believe it possible given current encoding techniques to better vinyl. And purist engineers will object to me saying so.

I think the issue is dithering. The lossyness of encoding that shows why dither is required, shows that it's just an approximation of the analog equivalent at the end of the day. An approximation by bastardising samples so that statistically things pan out and we supposedly don't hear the anomalies (at least not at a conscious level). But, vinyl doesn't suffer this issue to begin with, so rather than the approximations, it is exacting.

IOW, one is an approximation, the other is exacting.

Of course there are other issues with background noise, wow and flutter etc with vinyl, but they are not really objectionable on a good TT setup.

As a layman here, I think that it's worth breaking down the question into two facets:

1) Will digital techniques ever better analogue? I'm no expert but based on your summation above I don't see how they can...

2) Will digital techniques ever better vinyl? As you say, vinyl introduces other issues, so maybe it's possible? As a dedicated follower of vinyl for many years I hope not! :)

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my guess:

New top of range (Klimax?) streamer in a new box following versions.

- Exakt only

- DSM with stereo Organik DAC

- Surround module option

Big shiny knob on the top

Organik into Exaktboxes and speakers later

A huge move up the price scale :(

Edited by sunbeamgls
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is that the teaser is largely marketing and that Sunbeam GLS is not far away from the mark. Evolution rather than revolution. If, however, I'm wrong about the marketing hype, and that the technology is more than just customising a DAC then one possibility is that there is an element of encode and decode in this. An encode /decode technology that got recording/film industry buy-in would be a game changer for Linn as the licensing revenue would move it into a completely different league. You can only sell so many boxes of high end audiophile focussed electronics. There is a hint in the way that they have phrased the Trademark - Class 9, where they would.d normally be, isn't a surprise - but there's no requirement to mention 'recording' unless you mean to exploit it. I can't find a hint of a patent anywhere though -  which is strange if the intention is to go wide  with this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Here's my guess:

New top of range (Klimax?) streamer in a new box following versions.

- Exakt only

- DSM with stereo Organik DAC

- Surround module option

Big shiny knob on the top

Organik into Exaktboxes and speakers later

A huge move up the price scale :(

Great guess

There will be a big shiny knob on top, with a choice of silver or black, and it will come in 3 versions

The Klimax DSM with the Organik DAC will be hand built by an engineer from start to finish, and includes the following versions:

1).  Klimax DSM  Music, for music sources, includes preamp and connecting digital and analogue sources

2).  Klimax DSM Hub, for Exakt technology 

3)  Klimax DSM  A/V for multichannel and home theatre, for audio playback plus video and onboard surround up to 5.1 channels, includes preamp and connecting digital and analogue sources

Edited by Paulssurround
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Organic is something that is "live" is living / alive  

     --->  so Organik may be the option to add the live aspect to the streamed music

 .... adding the  stadium feeling and sound to Deep Purple or the cathedral reverb to the Bach organ

a SO ++  and may require more processing power (HW)

Edited by Charly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...