We thought we knew streaming

23 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

So the klimax dsm hub is my choice. Hope the price is under the actually system hub because of lower functionality. 

System hub is the Exakt only DSM.

16 hours ago, Metatron said:

I am sure that with the subsequent effusive prose that will ensue from some, it should have been called "Orgasmik DAC Architecture"

Well, it wasnt so far away 🙂

So, a “next generation” DAC architecture beyond Katalyst, which may or may not continue to be available if a new Klimax SE range sits above Klimax. I suppose the bulk of interest will be in whether Organik will be available as upgrades to existing (Klimax) kit. Of course, there may also be a Klimax SE Integrated speaker, to go above the 350, waiting in the wings...

The risk for Linn, I imagine, is that, however good Organik may be, that they price themselves out of much of their current market - everyone loved the Komri, but I don’t think they sold many, especially not at full retail. Did anyone here buy theirs at full retail, rather than ex demo or preowned? I suspect not. The Katalyst upgrade for the 350s was a fair chunk of cash and that was what, only five years ago? I’m not sure I’m ready to shell out the price of a small car* to replace two circuit boards that will, possibly, have no p/ex value, as they’d only be good to upgrade an non-Kat Exakt 350.

*I reserve the right to change my mind once I’ve heard it - it may just be breathtaking :$

‘troll

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see the extent to which the Linn upgrade path is maintained - or not - for existing owners. I have generally been OK forking out a few grand every few years to upgrade my KDS (now KDSM) and have the latest all-singing all-dancing guts inserted. Is a dead-end to this incremental upgrading path now looming? And if so, what is Linn trying to achieve here in terms of sales? For existing owners, a complete re-write of the KDSM would surely provide some stark choices: keep what you have, and continue to enjoy what will now be an obsolete product, or sell/trade-in to start again from scratch, at a price jump that may be too high for many to bother. In this case, Linn would need to attract a significant number of  prospective, brand-new, premium customers from somewhere.

Edited by rad1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

System hub is the Exakt only DSM.

I understand the new dsm hub has only exakt inputs and outputs. No analog or digital inputs.

Edited by Fallguy

45 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

I understand the new dsm hub has only exakt inputs and outputs. No analog or digital inputs.

Here's the Akurate System Hub. Or did you mean the new System Hub with the Organik DAC Architecture?

Akurate_Exkat_DSM_rear.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

That may limit its appeal - how would you get your TV sound through your system? 
If it were Selekt style you could order a customised DSM/Hub with only the inputs and outputs you needed. 

1 hour ago, Fallguy said:

Ah, that's a very interesting take, understood.

52 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

Here's the Akurate System Hub. Or did you mean the new System Hub with the Organik DAC Architecture?

Akurate_Exkat_DSM_rear.jpg

But a System Hub doesn’t have a DAC, otherwise it’s a DSM...

‘troll

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Ah, that's a very interesting take, understood.

Why? To me it seems a non-sense

Being permanently committed to Klimax level passive (and short of a lottery win I have no choice), unless there’s an Organik board upgrade option to my KDS/3 I guess I may have reached the end of the line on my Linn journey now.  If so, no matter, as my system is singing and my ageing ears are now probably past the point of being able to discern any significant aural improvement anyway!

Now to buy some more music.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

But a System Hub doesn’t have a DAC, otherwise it’s a DSM...

‘troll

I think, you dont know, what we talking about. Linn will launch new klimax dsm. It will give a dsm only with exakt in- and outputs. No analog or digital inputs like the actual system hub

22 minutes ago, Fallguy said:

I think, you dont know, what we talking about. Linn will launch new klimax dsm. It will give a dsm only with exakt in- and outputs. No analog or digital inputs like the actual system hub

Yes, but presumably they are launching a DSM with an Organik DAC in it, first. Unless, Organik is actually an ADC and not a DAC. Where did the idea that they are launching an Exakt only hub come from?

• Upvote 1

Just read the bit in stereophile. 3 units hub, music and AV. The music and AV have as the DSM the preamp capability,  but the hub does not. Features new ADC board as well as Organik DAC. They say it does have a watch inspired knob on the top. 

• Like 1