We thought we knew streaming

2 hours ago, Matteo said:

Why? To me it seems a non-sense

It may not suit you, but it may suit those who just want a Linn stereo system, if it will exist at all.

Edited by sunbeamgls

29 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

It may not suit you, but it may suit those who just want a Linn stereo system, if it will exist at all.

I was intending a System Hub without analogue / digital inputs ...

1 hour ago, Coalboy68 said:

Just read the bit in stereophile.

@Coalboy68 Do you have a link to the "bit" or is this accessible for subscribers only?

Jens

Edited by JensA
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

Just read the bit in stereophile. 3 units hub, music and AV. The music and AV have as the DSM the preamp capability,  but the hub does not. Features new ADC board as well as Organik DAC. They say it does have a watch inspired knob on the top. 

Aha...

So, a whole new encoding/decoding architecture, not just an upgrade to Katalyst. I can see me drawing the line here...

Wonder where this leaves Urika II, as that’s already Exakt and bypasses the current ADC?

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Upvote 2

So the whole shebang looks like a direct replacement for the current Klimax range?

With Exakt-Only System Hub, DSM, and x.1 A/V model?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

So the whole shebang looks like a direct replacement for the current Klimax range?

With Exakt-Only System Hub, DSM, and x.1 A/V model?

I've had heard rumour of a line above Klimax. But this was in the context of new amplifiers.

Hi no link unfortunately.  @kelly200269That’s what it looks like and as @sunbeamgls suggests the exakt boxes and speakers to follow later in year for organik DAC. 

so it may be we can upgrade some parts of our systems. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

Hi no link unfortunately.  @kelly200269That’s what it looks like and as @sunbeamgls suggests the exakt boxes and speakers to follow later in year for organik DAC. 

so it may be we can upgrade some parts of our systems. 

When Katalyst was launched, the first products were the KDS and KDSM, IIRC, followed by the 350 upgrade, then onwards and downwards.

As Katalyst filtered down to Akurate, we can but hope that Organik filters down to Klimax.

’troll

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

When Katalyst was launched, the first products were the KDS and KDSM, IIRC, followed by the 350 upgrade, then onwards and downwards.

As Katalyst filtered down to Akurate, we can but hope that Organik filters down to Klimax.

’troll

I am wondering how the Organik DAC sounds compared to the Katalyst to justify future upgrades from Katalyst to Organik.

Have Linn designed a new architecture to support the new DAC that is even quieter, or some other attributes?

‘The Organik DAC’s will have to offer more functionality and be more readily programable to suit Linn’s future direction, and I do wonder what that will be.

‘Will there be a Space Optimisation version 3 that can be accommodated better with the Organik DAC, or other functionality not currently available?

I think it is just a matter of time before Organik trickles down to other Linn components, which could result in new upgrades for Exaktboxes, 350’s, Akubariks, Akudorik’s and so on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulssurround said:

I am wondering how the Organik DAC sounds compared to the Katalyst to justify future upgrades from Katalyst to Organik.

Have Linn designed a new architecture to support the new DAC that is even quieter, or some other attributes?

‘The Organik DAC’s will have to offer more functionality and be more readily programable to suit Linn’s future direction, and I do wonder what that will be.

‘Will there be a Space Optimisation version 3 that can be accommodated better with the Organik DAC, or other functionality not currently available?

I think it is just a matter of time before Organik trickles down to other Linn components, which could result in new upgrades for Exaktboxes, 350’s, Akubariks, Akudorik’s and so on.

Given the price range they're talking about for Organik, there's a very real chance that it won't trickle down. It could well help Linn to more clearly differentiate the range:

Majik - standard DAC

Selekt - choice of standard or Katalyst

Akurate - Katalyst

Klimax (or Klimax+ if it is a new uber range) - Organik

There is a possibility of SO v3 but that would be an FPGA upgrade rather than a part of the DAC, but it would be a sensible move to put more processing on board whilst a new design is being built, even if SO v3 doesn't yet feature on a roadmap. Perhaps the FPGA is the DAC or there are new ideas around the upsampling techniques used in the FPGA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Given the price range they're talking about for Organik, there's a very real chance that it won't trickle down. It could well help Linn to more clearly differentiate the range:

Must admit, that was my thinking.

’troll

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

So far, the advancements Linn have developed eventually make their way down the chain at least to the Akurate line. It would make financial sense to do so. Think of all the upgraded boards that would be purchased. 
Linn has stressed the flexibility of its products to be upgrade-friendly. There’s much money to be made from 10,000 current Linn owners, but much less to be made from those who have $50K USD to spend on a streamer.

Edited by Eldarboy
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Majik - standard DAC

Selekt - choice of standard or Katalyst

Akurate - Katalyst

Klimax (or Klimax+ if it is a new uber range) - Organik

There is a possibility of SO v3 but that would be an FPGA upgrade rather than a part of the DAC, but it would be a sensible move to put more processing on board whilst a new design is being built, even if SO v3 doesn't yet feature on a roadmap. Perhaps the FPGA is the DAC or there are new ideas around the upsampling techniques used in the FPGA.

I wonder if Linn has partnered with Wolfson again, keeping it all Scottish?

Artikle says in-house DAC so wonder if it is the FGPA approach. 

1 minute ago, Coalboy68 said:

Artikle says in-house DAC so wonder if it is the FGPA approach. 

Definitely. 

That is why Linn chose AKM for Katalyst, because it had the FGPA functionality Linn were looking for.

Of most interest to me is the difference between the Klimax Organik Hub and the Home Theatre variant of the new Klimax Organik line. I read that the new Home theatre variant will have analogue and digital inputs, but the Hubs already can do surround processing and my Akurate Hub allows analogue input for a turntable.